Noctua NH-D15 Raising fan?

CRABBY GUY

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
My RAM (G.Skill Ripjaws) it too tall for the second fan on the NH-D15 without raising it, according to Noctua's website. Is this a simple matter or does it require lots of work? Also, please confirm that this device will fit in a D300 case. Thanks!

Solution
I have the D15 stuffed into a 100R, and, the outside fan would interfere with the windowed lid, so, I merely relocated the fan as intake a few inches away, but, still blowing air directly into the sinks. Works great with my 7700K, and, whisper quiet...

(I'd rather have the 2nd quiet fan a few inches away than opt for a single fan variant...)

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Seating the air cooler depends on your case configuration and is user discretion, you either run it vertically or horizontally depending on your cases airflow which will determine whether or not it impacts the RAM....

CRABBY GUY

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

How do you like AIO water vs. air cooling? (I have an H115i sitting in its box and I am thinking about selling it and buying an NH-D15 based on noise and cooling tests and the need to mod the case I have in order to install the AIO. I have 32GB of fast DD4 and don't plan to need to get to it.) Admittedly, water cooling certainly *looks* a lot better.

CRABBY GUY

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017

Thanks. Two more questions, please.

1. Does the rear fan also get raised?
2. Is the NH-D15 still the best Noctua air cooler, even with its fan(s) raised?

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
In hindsight i could have stayed with the Noctua for almost the same result. I was able to get up to 4.9Ghz on the AIO compared to 4.8 on the Noctua so no real difference other than appearance.

Both Fans are movable. I cant compare models as ive only used the one but t certainly worked great.

CRABBY GUY

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Alas, the nice folks at Noctua have computed that, although their NH-D15 will clear the RAM I have by raising one fan slightly, doing so will cause that fan to hit the inside of the Corsair 300R case that I have. Also, the Be Quiet! competitor is too tall to fit the case as well.

Please tell me what you recommend of the following:

The Noctua NH-D15 with a smaller Noctua front fan or perhaps a square-case Noctua 140mm fan somehow running at the "right" speed.

The Noctua NH-D15S as supplied with one fan (small loss in performance and rise in noise).

The Noctua NH-D15S with a second Noctua fan added (same performance and noise as NH-15).

Or?

I have the D15 stuffed into a 100R, and, the outside fan would interfere with the windowed lid, so, I merely relocated the fan as intake a few inches away, but, still blowing air directly into the sinks. Works great with my 7700K, and, whisper quiet...

(I'd rather have the 2nd quiet fan a few inches away than opt for a single fan variant...)

Solution