Noctua NH D15 Ripjaws V size compatibility

Apr 4, 2018
Hello everyone,

I recently got the Noctua NH D15 and am looking forward to excellent cooling performance. However, I have one concern given its sheer size that it may not be compatible with the RAM I'm looking at, the G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB. I've heard that you can raise the cooler higher to give yourself more clearance, but I'm not sure if I can do that with my case, the Crystal 570X.
Looking at the specs, the clearance (in dual fan mode) is about 32 mm, with about 10mm increase possible if raised (but would this work with my case?). I'm not sure how large the G.Skills are.

The people on this forum: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/851862-will-the-noctua-nh-d15-fit-ram-clearance/ say that it will definitely fit, but the numbers just seem odd to me given how short 32 mm is. Given my case and cooler, would the G.Skills work?

Solution
The Ripjaws kits are, at their worst 42mm / 1.65" tall. Vs something like Corsair's LPX kits (that don't need the front fan raised on a D15) at 31mm / 1.22"

So, absolute worst case, you need to raise the front fan by 11mm.

The NH-D15 is 165mm tall (with fans).... + 11mm = 176mm required.

The 570X supports coolers up to 170mm tall.

So, if you have the tallest Ripjaws kit and need to raise it the full 11mm (you won't, the LPX kits fit comfortably underneath the D15) it won't fit.

Can you link exactly which RAM kit you're looking at?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The Ripjaws kits are, at their worst 42mm / 1.65" tall. Vs something like Corsair's LPX kits (that don't need the front fan raised on a D15) at 31mm / 1.22"

So, absolute worst case, you need to raise the front fan by 11mm.

The NH-D15 is 165mm tall (with fans).... + 11mm = 176mm required.

The 570X supports coolers up to 170mm tall.

So, if you have the tallest Ripjaws kit and need to raise it the full 11mm (you won't, the LPX kits fit comfortably underneath the D15) it won't fit.

Can you link exactly which RAM kit you're looking at?

Solution
Apr 4, 2018

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Cf98TW/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvkb