Question Noctua NH-D15 Silent tower heatsink + Ram Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Greeting friends!

I have purchased a whole new build for my PC and I need to figure something out…

Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming ATX Motherboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SXDR2LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SXMZLP9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced Overclocked 8G GDDR6
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TXRW3HX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FH6CSR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I would like to get me a good and not over priced cooling solution so “Noctua NH-D15 Silent tower heatsink” seems perfect for me (I don’t want a liquid form.. Too much bad experience with it…)

My only fear is that the NH-D15 will be too big and will “eliminate” one slot of RAM(And that’s wishing its ONLY ONE)

Cause I bought all 4 sticks of RAM…..

I have read though that it is possible to lift the side fans a bit which should give me the solution for the RAM.. So I just wanna know if any of you guys are familiar with it.. And will it work with my current build..

Thanks a lot in advanced!!!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Instead of getting 4 full sticks of ram, just get the capacity you need in only 2. Although they are there, there's no real benefit to filling all the slots; there are actually some slight downsides, being:
-the more dimms you add, the more work for the cpu's Internal Memory Constroller - akin to memory overclocking
-higher frequencies are more difficult to run as well; for example, you are able to run 3600mhz in the mobo on 2 sticks, but are limited to say, 2933, or 3200mhz on 4.
Doesn't sound like a huge minus, but if you paid for 3600 and can't get 3600...

2)The fans can be 'slid' upwards, but your case needs to have to spare height to accommodate this.

3)An alternative, and one that isn't recommended often - even though it's an equally great cooler, is the more space friendly NH-D15S.

Reactions: RodroX

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply...
Unfortunatlly the RAM sticks are already bought and I have no desire to try and send them back, get a refund and buy again only 2 instead of 4 with the same RAM capacity...

In any case I think that I will just have to take a measuring tape and start measuring after inserting the RAM stick inside the MOBO...
I'll keep you posted with the results...

The front fan can be removed and placed so that it won't interfere with the RAM slots. You should have no issues with that motherboard and the Noctua NH-D15 and 4 RAM sticks.

The only issue i would present is that the fan is a 140mm fan. it is quite large. It could touch the side panel of your case if its not wide enough. That could be an issue. If your case is too small, I recommend the NH-D15S. It is a single fan version that is almost as effective.

Reactions: RodroX

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Hi ohados,
I think it may depend partly on the case you choose - the NH D15 fits with both fans in my case (just) but I have to elevate one of the fans to clear one stick of ram (even though I'm only using 2 sticks total).

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
CPU Cooler [current] Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (similar height to yours I think)
Case Cougar PANZER EVO RGB ATX Full Tower Case (lots of room for a large CPU cooler).
Regards

ohados

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
Hi ohados,
I think it may depend partly on the case you choose - the NH D15 fits with both fans in my case (just) but I have to elevate one of the fans to clear one stick of ram (even though I'm only using 2 sticks total).

AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
CPU Cooler [current] Noctua NH-D15
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (similar height to yours I think)
Case Cougar PANZER EVO RGB ATX Full Tower Case (lots of room for a large CPU cooler).
Regards

Sweet! Sounds pretty much like my own...
Tomorrow i'll buy the fan and see how it goes... As far as measuring go.. Well.. It didnt.. LOL.
I tried to measure it but failed epicly cause I did not know how to "center" the imaginary fan and from there to actually measure 161/150MM...

So yeah... tomorrow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.