[SOLVED] Noctua NH-D15 + ThermalTake V200 Compatibility

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
PC Specs:-
Case: ThermalTake V200 ( CPU cooler height limitation: 160mm)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270i (Mini itx)
CPU: Core i7 7700K
Current Cooler: Corsair H60
Cooler I wanna buy: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black ( https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15-chromax-black )
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) (Height according to amazon: 0.63 inch ~ 16mm) Model Number: F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW
GPU: GTX 1060 G1 GAMING
I was going to buy Noctua NH-D15 for my i7 7700K and while I was searching, I found that my case is not supported on noctua website (not enought CPU clearance). I did my calculations CPU Cooler Fan height + RAM height = 156mm (under 160mm). I think it should fit into my case with these calculations but I wanted to make sure it's totally compatible with my specs. I also saw someone on reddit typed that he has ThermalTake V200 and Noctua NH-D15S (the S version is the same size I think). I also attached a photo of my case box if you wanted to see more details about it. I asked the store if I can return back the cooler if it didn't fit into my case and they told me it's sealed and if you open the box and it won't be returned, so I better make sure it will fit into my case. Do you think it will fit?
IMG_20210907_170201.jpg

Solution
I don't have these in Egypt but I have their equivalent which is: Noctua NH-U12S
Oh, that one would work, but IMO, it's too expensive for what it does.
There's the more affordable U12S Redux, but it might not be available to you.

I have Corsair H60
120mm AIOs are crap. Even a 'cheap' tower air cooler like the old Hyper 212 would've been a better investment.
About the only time the 120mm AIOs are worth using are in Small Form Factor chassis that can't support a tower air cooler.

i7 7700K known to has temperature issues.
Oh dear, sounds like it's been exaggerated somewhat. Slapping a huge cooler does little when the reason lies under the hood.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
NH-D15 is 165mm tall, with ram support for low profile ram under 32mm. Higher than that, and the front fan needs to be raised for every mm over.
Trident Z is 44mm tall: https://www.gskill.com/faq
So now the NH-D15 is 178mm tall - you don't want the ram and the fan to touch directly, so add 1 more mm for that gap.
While moving the fans behind their respective towers might be seen as an option in another chassis, I've already tried that with a D15S and found that the A15s don't work well as pull fans; they start to make a distinct buzzing noise around 1000rpm or so.

NH-D15S is 160mm tall: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s-chromax-black/specification

Because of things like rounding to the nearest whole number, and possible imperfections in machine milling, I couldn't guarantee that the D15S would fit in the V200.
If you're not willing to take a chance with that, I'd suggest playing it safe and looking for coolers 159mm or lower.

Last edited:

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
NH-D15 is 165mm tall, with ram support for low profile ram under 32mm. Higher than that, and the front fan needs to be raised for every mm over.
Trident Z is 44mm tall: https://www.gskill.com/faq
So now the NH-D15 is 178mm tall - you don't want the ram and the fan to touch directly, so add 1 more mm for that gap.
While moving the fans behind their respective towers might be seen as an option in another chassis, I've already tried that with a D15S and found that the A15s don't work well as pull fans; they start to make a distinct buzzing noise around 1000rpm or so.

NH-D15S is 160mm tall: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s-chromax-black/specification

Because of things like rounding to the nearest whole number, and possible imperfections in machine milling, I couldn't guarantee that the D15S would fit in the V200.
If you're not willing to take a chance with that, I'd suggest playing it safe and looking for coolers 159mm or lower.
Well... Since most of good air coolers wouldn't fit in my case, I think I will go for AIO liquid cooler. Check these out:-
NZXT Kraken X53 240mm , NZXT Kraken X63 280mm
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm, Corsair iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT 280mm
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240 Illusion 240mm
LianLi Galahad 240mm
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240
Can you pick the best that's suitable for my i7 7700K?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Any one of those would work. The 7700K doesn't pull enough power to be able to heatsoak those.
Though that doesn't mean you can just push the cpu willy-nilly. The heat build up underneath the IHS would stop you before you could get close to soaking those coolers.

Since most of good air coolers wouldn't fit in my case...
Scythe: FUMA 2, Mugen 5 Rev. B
SilentiumPC: Fortis 3 HE1325
Thermalright: Macho Rev. C, Assassin King 120/120 Plus
Arctic: Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Vetroo: V5(the mounting kit leaves much to be desired though)

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Any one of those would work. The 7700K doesn't pull enough power to be able to heatsoak those.
Though that doesn't mean you can just push the cpu willy-nilly. The heat build up underneath the IHS would stop you before you could get close to soaking those coolers.

Scythe: FUMA 2, Mugen 5 Rev. B
SilentiumPC: Fortis 3 HE1325
Thermalright: Macho Rev. C, Assassin King 120/120 Plus
Arctic: Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Vetroo: V5(the mounting kit leaves much to be desired though)
I don't have these in Egypt but I have their equivalent which is: Noctua NH-U12S
I don't wanna really cheap out in CPU cooler as i7 7700K known to has temperature issues. As I've said above I have Corsair H60 and it's not enough for my CPU. Probably it needs delidding but I don't know a store in Egypt which provides CPU Delid. Do you think Noctua NH-U12S is really enought for me?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

I have Corsair H60
120mm AIOs are crap. Even a 'cheap' tower air cooler like the old Hyper 212 would've been a better investment.
About the only time the 120mm AIOs are worth using are in Small Form Factor chassis that can't support a tower air cooler.

i7 7700K known to has temperature issues.
Oh dear, sounds like it's been exaggerated somewhat. Slapping a huge cooler does little when the reason lies under the hood.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
I have in Egypt U12S costs $90 and U12S redux costs $65

Seems like upgrading is my only choice and there is too much to worry about it would cost at least $1500 for a good gaming upgrade rig. I was thinking about buying this thermal paste: Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade
Last time I changed my thermal paste the temperatures didn't reach 80C (now it reaches 90C) on stress tests for about 2 months only. I don't remember which one I used though. I will just apply this thermal paste until I'm ready to upgrade later.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have in Egypt U12S costs $90 and U12S redux costs $65
:whistle:
Redux, hands down.
Gamers' Nexus just did a review with some comparisons between the Redux and original, and the performance gap isn't as big as that price gap - although, the tested cpus were different.

Seems like upgrading is my only choice and there is too much to worry about it would cost at least $1500 for a good gaming upgrade rig. I was thinking about buying this thermal paste: Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade
Last time I changed my thermal paste the temperatures didn't reach 80C (now it reaches 90C) on stress tests for about 2 months only. I don't remember which one I used though. I will just apply this thermal paste until I'm ready to upgrade later.
Sounds like a plan. That paste is fine too.

Reactions: aymantarek436

aymantarek436

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Noctua has suitability charts for their coolers/
Here is the one for the I7-7700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-288
Look at the NH-U12A:
https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12a/specification
U12A is actually pretty good but it has lower performance than D15 and more expensive but at least it's compatible. Anyway U12A and D15S are the only good ones which are compatible for my case but they aren't available in Egypt.

I was thinking about buying this thermal paste: Noctua NT-H1 3.5g, Pro-Grade
I guess I'll just stick to this plan :(

If your plan includes aio cooling, I would reconsider.
I7-7700K is not the hottest of processors, and unless you are planning on overclocking it to record levels,
A 120mm tower cooler like the NH-U12s or redux would be fine.
There are many. Scythe makes some good quiet ones like the kotetsu.