[SOLVED] Noctua NH-D15 vs Corsair H115i for a i9 10900k

adir98

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018
Hello!

I'm building a new PC and I wondered what's better in terms of temps and performance for a i9 10900k.
Noctua's NH-D15 or Corsair's H115?

Thanks!

Solution
Both.
Each has its strong points but that differs. The AIO has a higher wattage ceiling, so at max cpu output it has room to spare, which puts the cpu further down on the fan curve, meaning lower temps. The aircooler has a lower ceiling, but is more efficient, so at almost any level under close to max output it'll get lower temps.

There's no one clear winner either way, it's all dependent on your usage, OC or boost levels, core amount etc.

Under @ 70°C, there's no difference to the cpu. It doesn't care if it's 55°C or 60°C, that's Your preference, not the cpus. So getting the absolute lowest temp possible is a moot point. It's all about maintaining a lower temp, not reaching the lowest temp. If your usage is highly cpu demanding, like...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Not for nothing. I have not handled that particular Noctua, so not sure what the weight will be like. I recall having several occurrences back in the day with heavy tower coolers causing issues with the PCI lanes down the road with installs hanging them (horizontally) on a vertical mobo. That seems to be a BAC.

adir98

Reputable
Sep 22, 2018

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
19.2 - 24.6 dbA for NH-D15 and 37dB for H115i from what i read.
Remember, that's at 100%, and few people run their fans there.

How much quieter is the Noctua, is it enough to make a difference if I went with the H115i for the aesthetics?
Fan noise isn't that much of a concern, since one can always set their own fan curves anyway, and I strongly recommend setting your own fan curves.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both.
Each has its strong points but that differs. The AIO has a higher wattage ceiling, so at max cpu output it has room to spare, which puts the cpu further down on the fan curve, meaning lower temps. The aircooler has a lower ceiling, but is more efficient, so at almost any level under close to max output it'll get lower temps.

There's no one clear winner either way, it's all dependent on your usage, OC or boost levels, core amount etc.

Under @ 70°C, there's no difference to the cpu. It doesn't care if it's 55°C or 60°C, that's Your preference, not the cpus. So getting the absolute lowest temp possible is a moot point. It's all about maintaining a lower temp, not reaching the lowest temp. If your usage is highly cpu demanding, like folding @ home or blender or long renders etc, the AIO will be the better choice. If just gaming use and lighter workloads that really don't tax all 20 threads, the Noctua will probably be better.

Just don't forget the extras, like additional fans for an air-cooled case, ram clearances, case tolerances etc.

Last edited:
Solution