Status
Not open for further replies.

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
Hi,

my pc case only allows for a cooler as tall as 160mm, the noctua nh-d15 is 165mm meaning i can only fit the noctua nh-d15s which is slightly smaller at 160mm with one fan. similarly the dark rock pro 4 is over 160mm but the dark rock 4 is 160mm again slightly smaller with one fan. Both of these coolers are fairly quiet, i believe the noctua is a bit quieter, however i am not sure which truly is and noise levels is a very important upgrade for me as my current cooler is very loud. I also need the one that can run an overclocked ryzen 7 2700x at 100% utilisation with the lowest temperature as i do video editing and rendering with 4k raw footage.

Which of these would run cooler? As the nh-d15s has very few reviews and at least from what i could find none that compare it to the dark rock 4 it would seem,

Thanks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

TheVideographer

Prominent
Feb 24, 2019
If your current cooler is "very loud", then either will be like night & day.
There are quite a few variables with reviews, but the D15 should have the slight edge in performance & noise.

I'd expect performance-wise to be NH-D15>DR4=D15S
Noise-wise, I'd expect to be DR4>D15S>D15, but really,really close.

A somewhat head to head:
https://turbofuture.com/computers/Noctua-NH-D15-SE-AM4-vs-be-quiet-Dark-Rock-Pro-4-CPU-Cooler

My choices are 100% limited to the DR4 and 15S, the DRP4 and D15 are too tall. From what you say the 15S would seem like the way to go for the thermals under load. The only concern is that since the S version of the d15 has one less fan does it bring it to a similar level to the DR4 or is there a significant difference temperature/cooling wise

Status
Not open for further replies.