Noctua NH-U12S FAN not seated flush bc of RAM height

gigaknight

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I have an ASrock Fata1ity motherboard with G. Skill F4-3200C16Q2 RAM modules.

I have installed the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and the Noctua NH-U12S.

Am having an issue with the Fan seating exactly flush because it is nudging the RAM module in the first slot. This PC uses all 8 slots of RAM or I would simply skip this slot and seat it normally.
The fan is offset, yet still appears to cover the coils, it does extend partially outside the coils. Picture attached.

It is sticking out .5" outside the heatsink but appears to still cover the coils. (attached pics)
Is the fan usable in this offset configuration or is it going to overheat or blow the CPU? I am holding off turning it on or may just finish staging with that RAM slot empty so it is flush until I find a better solution.
ku801b

n09euw

Any advice? And thank you.

=========UPDATE 1/3/2018=========
Noctua contacted me saying the fan sticking out slightly less than 1/2" (measured 10mm) was
still ok. Still untested/unpowered, updating post in case anyone else has this issue.

"first of all many thanks for your interest and your inquiry at Noctua.

This is no problem, no worries! :)

Kind regards, Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Emanuel Fankhauser
Noctua support team"

Noctua - geräuschoptimierte Premium Komponenten
Noctua - sound-optimised premium components
E: support@noctua.at
W: http://www.noctua.at

It won't effect the cooling performance, I have a similar cooler style but flipped the fan around having it pull instead of push. Difference is like 1-3c. Avoids ram clearance and easier to clean. It's up to you, whichever looks better, both are optimal.

pHYU6Kp.jpg

jr9

Estimable
That cooler appears to have a clipable fan. It can be removed and moved over to the other side of the cooler. Even with just one fan clipped to the opposite side of the cooler it would still work and you won't be overheating for sure.

TRENDING THREADS