Noctua NH-U9 TR4-SP3 Review: Strong Threadripper Cooling, Compact Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my own builds, I use nothing but Noctua coolers and fans. They are a great company to deal with and respond to any inquiry in a timely manner.

That being said, I can only imagine the noise coming out of tiny fans like these would be close to a rack-mounted server's (tinier fans seem to run at higher speed more often = noisy), but they'd be quieter than anyone else's out there where the application requires a cooler on the smaller side.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Surprisingly, it isn't nearly as noisy as one would imagine. The NH-U9 TR4-SP3 runs quieter than most 240 AIOs with fans at 50% and almost all at 100%.

The cooler is very efficient with how well it handles thermal exchange.

While the performance and cooling are excellent as has become a Noctua standard, good lord that color combination leaves much to be desired. I know that some of their stuff is available in black (thank goodness), but I'll never understand why they chose the main color combination.

Jul 23, 2018
I would like to see what all three TR4 Noctua air coolers are capable of doing with an Threadripper 2990WX on full overclock. Please do such a comparison.

1) Why bother with an 8-core TR CPU?
That's what was tested but I don't see the point when the R7-2700 exists. I'd rather see a 16-core TR CPU tested which I doubt this cooler can handle.

2) COMPACT build?
What case does this make sense in?
I'm really curious as it's too small to make sense in a larger case and I'm not sure what smaller cases it would fit in.

nibir2011

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I also dislike test on 8 cores. This makes no sense. Threadripper is 16 core period. Thats also confirmed by AMD to be most sold. Although noctua is a good brand. I fail to see the viability of using this or any Air Cooling solution on a 16 core processor. Can it be done? Yes. Should it be done? IMHO no. If you don't want peak performance you probably also don't need threadripper.

As this is Tomshardware I shouldn't just leave comments. But also provide some proof here https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/noctua_nh_u9_nh_u12s_nh_u14s_tr4_sp3_for_ryzen_threadripper_review,10.html this same cooler hits around 85-90 degrees on 4 GHZ. Yup. You are welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.