Noctua NT-H1 vs Cooler Master MasterGel Thermal Compound Grease Paste - MGX-ZOSW-N15M-R1

chaitanya singh

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
Temps under gaming are reaching 94C for my i5-760(2.80Ghz) with stock cooler.

How big of a difference will NT-H1 make compared to Cooler Master one.

Idle Temps - 45 - 47°C
Load Temps - 83 - 94°C

Solution
*Most* thermal compounds, generally speaking, will only vary in temperatures by a couple of degrees - maximum.
BUT, it really depends on the quality of the compounds themselves. The NT-H1 is some decent stuff, the MasterGel, I haven't used personally.... but from some tests/reviews I've seen it used, it's decent too.

No harm in testing between the two.... but I'd suspect you're either looking at a poorly seated cooler, or very limited airflow in the case itself; opposed to any significant impact from the compound itself.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
*Most* thermal compounds, generally speaking, will only vary in temperatures by a couple of degrees - maximum.
BUT, it really depends on the quality of the compounds themselves. The NT-H1 is some decent stuff, the MasterGel, I haven't used personally.... but from some tests/reviews I've seen it used, it's decent too.

No harm in testing between the two.... but I'd suspect you're either looking at a poorly seated cooler, or very limited airflow in the case itself; opposed to any significant impact from the compound itself.

Solution

chaitanya singh

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Been a while since I last applied thermal paste probably around 4 yrs.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
While with regular use, thermal compound doesn't strictly 'dry out' or become less effective over time......a clean application & reseating of the cooler certainly isn't going to hurt.

The Noctua stuff has been around longer, so I'd personally default to it given the option. If you have one or the other available to you already (and not the other), then just use what you have.

chaitanya singh

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

The one I have is around 3 yrs old since the date of import is it good to use this paste(V1 1C Value Thermal Compound) beyond two years from manufacture.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Personally, I've had no issues with thermal paste "expiring", but consult the packaging you have specifically - if there's an expiry date listed, there's probably a reason (I'd expect separation to be the main requirement for an expiry date).

TRENDING THREADS