News Noctua Outs Five New Chromax.Black Fans; Includes 200mm Beast

May 13, 2019
So a quick heads up/request for verification:
It would appear based off of the Amazon listings that these don't come with NA-SYC1 and L.N.A. cables.
This of course would be a problem for anyone looking to run them in pairs off of the same fan header and/or forcing lower speed/noise.
Something I'm trying to do on my dual NH-U9S'...
Edit:
I also don't see any mention of the NA-SAV2 Anti-Vibration fan mounts...

Last edited:

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... This of course would be a problem for anyone looking to run them in pairs off of the same fan header and/or forcing lower speed/noise.
I don't see any problem doing that.
Best option is to use a PWM splitter (sending the PWM signal to both fans). Second best, but still doable, is to just run them on a lower voltage.
With reduced voltage one can assume that the minimum speed is higher than if you use PWM control.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
Good to see, but not sure if I want to spend $20 to change the color, but for my next build the CPU cooler will be an easy choice. It's like they are slowly realizing no one is wanting tan/brown in their case!

May 13, 2019
I don't see any problem doing that.
Best option is to use a PWM splitter (sending the PWM signal to both fans). Second best, but still doable, is to just run them on a lower voltage.
With reduced voltage one can assume that the minimum speed is higher than if you use PWM control.
??? I am literally stating that you can't do either of these things with the contents of these fan SKUs.

May 13, 2019
And I can't understand why that should be impossible. What makes these fans different from every other fan, all of which can be controlled this way?
...Seriously?
Read the 1st sentence.
"It would appear based off of the Amazon listings that these don't come with NA-SYC1 and L.N.A. cables. "

Of note, the L.N.A. adapters aren't for sale at all, so in addition to the extra expense of price gouged fans in a different color, you then have to pay for, and introduce 3rd party adapters to make your overpriced Noctua fans work the way that they should out of the box.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
...Seriously?
Read the 1st sentence.
"It would appear based off of the Amazon listings that these don't come with NA-SYC1 and L.N.A. cables. "
So the problem is that you don't understand what those cables are and what they do?

• The LNA cables are regular three chord extension cables with an added resistor. The effect is that the fan gets a reduced voltage. This is useful (only) if you can't reduce the voltage at the power connector, and is also best used on fans that are not for PWM control, so should not be used for these PWM fans.
  • The NA-SYC1 is just a vanilla PWM fan splitter with a fancy sleeve. That cable could be provided in the package if/when the fans are sold in pairs.

So, to iterate back to my first post in this thread:
  • To run two fans from one header use a PWM splitter, of which the NA-SYC1 is just one example. The fan speed is then controlled by PWM through the header.
  • A single fan is controlled by PWM as per normal.

May 13, 2019
So the problem is that you don't understand what those cables are and what they do?

• The LNA cables are regular three chord extension cables with an added resistor. The effect is that the fan gets a reduced voltage. This is useful (only) if you can't reduce the voltage at the power connector, and is also best used on fans that are not for PWM control, so should not be used for these PWM fans.
  • The NA-SYC1 is just a vanilla PWM fan splitter with a fancy sleeve. That cable could be provided in the package if/when the fans are sold in pairs.
So, to iterate back to my first post in this thread:
  • To run two fans from one header use a PWM splitter, of which the NA-SYC1 is just one example. The fan speed is then controlled by PWM through the header.
  • A single fan is controlled by PWM as per normal.
This conversation is getting dumber.

MY MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT ALLOW FINE TUNE PWM CONTROLS

How hard is that to understand? LNA cables are the only reasonable way to slow them down beyond the pathetically useless 3 stage BIOS settings on my motherboard.
I am currently running 6 Noctua fans on LNA adapters and they are near silent while doing a reasonably good job of keeping my 175W TDP RTX 2070 and dual 135W TDP Xeon E3-2667v2's from throttling in an SFF case.
Even if this wasn't my exact situation, I was clearly pointing out the obvious fact that Noctua is charging a premium for black versions of their regular fans, while omitting the fact that they are actually reducing functionality by taking out 'Y' splitters and LNA cables from otherwise identical SKUs.
The issue is not some stupid existential argument on whether they should exist or not. The point was a PSA that Noctua is removing functionality while charging a premium.
If I'm going to pay $200~ to populate my case with black Noctua fans, I shouldn't then have to pay EXTRA for the 'Y' splitters and LNA cables that I already get with the vanilla turd colored fans I already have.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
MY MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT ALLOW FINE TUNE PWM CONTROLS
... the pathetically useless 3 stage BIOS settings on my motherboard.
It's not Noctua's fault that you have a (from this perspective) shitty and obsolete motherboard.

• From a purely technical perspective fans designed fo PWM control do run (relatively) lousy on regular voltage control (including LNA cables). If you can't use PWM then use fans designed for voltage control!
  • It would be a huge vaste of resources if Noctua provided a Y-splitter with each single fan. The vast majority of splitters would be left unused. (Providing a splitter with fans sold in pairs is another story.)
  • Why not simply use a third party fan controller if the motherboard can't do what you want (and you won't/can't replace it)? The Sunbeam Rheobus I bought some 15 years ago is serving me just fine...