News Noctua Releases First Thermal Paste Application Recommendation for Ryzen 7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I do it just like alceryes says. Doesn't leave anything to chance. I have a feeling people with this IHS will want as much of it to contact the cooler as possible and the dot method will leave out the corners. The thin buttered-toast method will also minimize the chance of extra TIM squeezing over and into the caps. And Noctua paste works well with this method. It is also fairly long lived and should be a good choice if these chips run hot.

Reactions: alceryes

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have been using the spread with a razor blade for the times when I was applying it myself. Obviously, not when I got a cooler that came with its own thermal compound pre-applied.

But, after seeing the following video, I was considering going with the X method in the future. Now, the creator of this video admits right up front that the way he did these tests (with flat, clear acrylic to be able to observe the spread) is not perfect, but it was very interesting nonetheless. I hadn't thought about the possible issue with tiny air bubbles in the spread before, though, how much of a consequence they are, I couldn't really say.

Reactions: bigdragon
I hadn't thought about the possible issue with tiny air bubbles in the spread before, though, how much of a consequence they are, I couldn't really say.
This is one of the primary reasons you don't pick up the heatsink once you apply it. ;)

In EVERY one of the 'methods' used he put twice as much (or more) TIM than needed. Of course, this is because he's relying on the pressure of the HS and IHS coming together to spread the TIM. Please reexamine the video. You can see how the pressure applied continually changes the spread direction because of small changes in the amount of pressure on different areas of the acrylic.

Ultra-thin spread, buttered-toast method is the way. You shouldn't have to rely on probable uneven force to spread the TIM. Buttered-toast method = cover the entire IHS with an ultra-thin layer.

Edit - ...and just to clarify, you can be sausage, big dot, multi-dot, X-pattern - whatever. As long as the end result is an ultra-thin layer, covering the entire IHS, BEFORE applying the heatsink, you're good! (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

Geef

Distinguished
Here is an important piece of info for anyone ever REMOVING the heatsink off a CPU after several years.

Rotate the heatsink instead of just pulling it off. Otherwise you might pop off the top of the CPU and then your screwed.

Reactions: phxrider

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Ultra-thin spread, buttered-toast method is the way. You shouldn't have to rely on probable uneven force to spread the TIM. Buttered-toast method = cover the entire IHS with an ultra-thin layer.
That's the way I've been teaching others to spread their TIM.

It works, it's easy, and it's consistent.

And most of the time, it's the 2nd lowest temp when tested against other TIM spreading methods; but it's the most reliable method when applied properly by normal functioning people.

No chance of screw up.

bikemanI7

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Having never ever changed Thermal Paste on any of my Computer systems over the years, i typically let a local shop upgrading or fix my systems cooling when needed, i attempted to upgrade my Intel I7 10700 stock cooler to Be Quiet Pure Rock 2 Black Edition (Failed Miserably) forgot to take it along when i went to shop, so settled on Artic Freezer 7X, seems to work pretty well, much better than if i had continued with it

Did try to change thermal paste on older AMD system once--AMD Duron CPU Came out with the heatsink, bent pins, and i was like well forget this, and discontiued use of that system

Maybe someday i'll lean to properly upgrade a CPU Cooler, but don't think its time for that for me

Screw got stuck in the bracket, the piece that secures the backplate onto the motherboard, came off with the screw, i was like ok plan B, get to shop now, and get upgraded Cooler installed whatever they have that is air cooled

Last edited:

aciDev

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
What reason is there to quote a German article made for the sole purpose of advertising a German thermal paste?

It taught me nothing.

phxrider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2013
I have to say, I appreciate the detailed and precise instructions with pattern and dot sizes instead of leaving people to guess. They usually say "put a dot in the middle", maybe something about "the size of a grain of rice". Nice that they actually put size in mm. The imprecision has caused me many hours of researching how to correctly apply paste in the past.

What I can say now, is in 30 years of building and OC'ing PCs I've never experienced a cooling failure that could be resolved by different application of paste, only by a more robust cooler and/or better case ventilation, so you're splitting hairs going down the "one true way" rabbit hole. Just use the dot, it's super easy and works as well as anything else within the margin of error.

DO clean your CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol or similarly safe and effective solvent, that will make a bigger difference than dot vs X vs spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.