Noctua Releases Two New CPU Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
When you benchmark these things on release, please include a comparison not just to the
other current models (including the Phanteks PH-TC14PE please!), but also throw in a standard
TRUE Rev C or somesuch, so we can see where things have been going with coolers from a
historical perspective. Have they really been getting that much better? If you don't have a TRUE,
I'd be happy to send you one! :D I have loads...

Ian.

PS. Bit surprised there isn't a TRUE 120 of any kind in the 2010 cooler chart (infact no Thermalright
models at all).

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I'd never buy a Noctua because of the stupid color of their fans. My computer is beautiful both on the inside and outside, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Besides, 1200 RPM is too high for a minimum speed.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I'd never buy a Noctua because of the stupid color of their fans. My computer is beautiful both on the inside and outside, and I'd like to keep it that way.Besides, 1200 RPM is too high for a minimum speed.[/citation]
Yeah right...

[citation][nom]JJ1217[/nom]$75? Ouch. I really can't see this performing much better than a Hyper 212 EVO, the design looks very similar..[/citation]

ahh thats where you are wrong. more heatpipes, much better fan, slightly more surface area, and much lower noise are all things that nocuta coolers excel at

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I am not saying they don't make a quality product but why do the included fans with Noctua heatsinks always look like they were cut out of a Commodores 64?

Either way very cool design an I bet it cools like a mofo!

timaeus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]shadowfamicom[/nom]I am not saying they don't make a quality product but why do the included fans with Noctua heatsinks always look like they were cut out of a Commodores 64?Either way very cool design an I bet it cools like a mofo![/citation]

Yeah, Noctua is not exactly known for their fans being pretty, but you can't beat them on performance vs acoustics.

chugot9218

Honorable
I love my Noctua cooler, and although I am not particularly offended by the colors, I wish they would offer an alternate color scheme just so that people couldn't hate on it haha, it is really a great fan/cooler.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I find it strange that people would even consider Fan/heatsink monstrosities anymore. The additional weight constantly pulling on your motherboard is NOT GOOD. Buy a cheap closed-loop cooler on sale (there's one for less than $30 after rebate right now). They perform better and don't stress out your motherboard. They also free up room in your case (so the ventilation from your case fans is more effective on the rest of your components). They are also quieter (as in silent).

These things are a relic and they need to be phased out.

-perform better? the hyper 212 evo does better or matches any single 120mm thin closed loop crap
-there is no need to worry about stress on the board unless you bought a cheap board from asrock or msi
-they are not quieter in any possible way. the fans onboard a closed loop[ cooler is just as loud and then you would have to add pump noise. also, i have yet to see a closed loop cooler that can run passively meaning no noise
-the space they free up doesnt help you whatsoever. you dont put anything near a CPU socket anyways. and if you are thinking tall ram sticks, they should be phased out.

one more thing is by using closed loop coolers, you have no airflow on your vrms. cheaper boards like the asrock extreme4 tend to get pretty hot vrms. putting zero airflow around them means they will be less efficient.

go custom or go home

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]I find it strange that people would even consider Fan/heatsink monstrosities anymore. The additional weight constantly pulling on your motherboard is NOT GOOD. Buy a cheap closed-loop cooler on sale (there's one for less than $30 after rebate right now). They perform better and don't stress out your motherboard. They also free up room in your case (so the ventilation from your case fans is more effective on the rest of your components). They are also quieter (as in silent).These things are a relic and they need to be phased out.[/citation]

Closed loop sets, especially cheap ones, have been known to leak. Which is an obvious reason as to why people still consider these "monstrosities". Even with a closed loop using a non-conductive fluid, the risk of cleanup and maintenance is just too high. In my book, I only build rigs with high-end air or high-end custom liquid cooling.

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]I find it strange that people would even consider Fan/heatsink monstrosities anymore. The additional weight constantly pulling on your motherboard is NOT GOOD. Buy a cheap closed-loop cooler on sale (there's one for less than $30 after rebate right now). They perform better and don't stress out your motherboard. They also free up room in your case (so the ventilation from your case fans is more effective on the rest of your components). They are also quieter (as in silent).These things are a relic and they need to be phased out.[/citation]

Closed loops are good but some aren't good enough. I had a Corsair H80i (just RMAd) and the screw don't hold anymore after couple of case changes and remounting the rad. So that shows poor quality in terms of build. I have a Phanteks PH-TC14PE and it's not heavy at all and no sign of bulling on my mobo. Matter of fact, it's much lighter than my H80i felt when held in hand and it cools much better without the jet engine like noise when the fans are pushing the air past the thick radiator. Until they improve the design on CLC I am sticking with air cooling for now.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The "cheap" closed loop systems....suck. You're better off with an air cooler than you are a budget AIO watercooling system. Take the Kuhler 620 for example. The fan is too loud (though claimed to be silent), the pumps are known to make a grinding noise and the radiator is too thin. It really is a stunning example of inefficient cooling....

For a design that is close to a Hyper 212 Evo, yet costs twice as much or more I'm disappointed. I agree that it will most likely perform better, but the cost is too much. You will be able to find better cooler at that price point, and will work with your system with a little forethought like going with low profile Ram. I haven't heard of ANY benefit with some of these tall ramsinks in the current generation of memory.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I'm still cooling my AMD Phenom II X6 with a Zalman 9700. I may get a Noctua if I ever feel a need to upgrade perhaps in 3~5 years. The Zalman serves me well, even though I slice 3 knuckles when I repaste it once a year.

actually they do perform a fair bit better. i know it does cost 2x as much but then its more than 2x as quiet. if you threw a set of noctua fans on a hyper 212 evo, it ends up being in around at the same cost.

not to mention there is a six year warranty

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]-perform better? the hyper 212 evo does better or matches any single 120mm thin closed loop crap-there is no need to worry about stress on the board unless you bought a cheap board from asrock or msi-they are not quieter in any possible way. the fans onboard a closed loop[ cooler is just as loud and then you would have to add pump noise. also, i have yet to see a closed loop cooler that can run passively meaning no noise-the space they free up doesnt help you whatsoever. you dont put anything near a CPU socket anyways. and if you are thinking tall ram sticks, they should be phased out.one more thing is by using closed loop coolers, you have no airflow on your vrms. cheaper boards like the asrock extreme4 tend to get pretty hot vrms. putting zero airflow around them means they will be less efficient.go custom or go home[/citation]

212 is looking at 55 under load and the h40 is looking like 48. I don't know where you are getting your numbers from, but you're clearly wrong. I was using a 212 on my other system until i switched out with a cooler master closed-loop, my temps NEVER go above 50. EVER. AND I shouldn't have to pay more for a premium motherboard to compensate the fact that I'm putting a bulky 3-5 lb block screwed into only 4 points at a 90 degree angle (unless my case is flat). Not to mention that now I can also have cooling available for smaller form factors like mATX or mini itx (not everyone wants or needs a 5 foot tall computer). I also don't think I should need to draw a picture to explain ventilation to you, but when there's something between point a and b, it slows down the airflow. period. that's how it works. So if you have a case fan on the front and back of your case (like 90% of the cases out there) freeing up any space in the middle of the case is going to decrease the ambient temperature of the case, taking more heat from other components (like your PSU) out of your case faster. As far as the sound, yes you have to put a fan on the radiator HOWEVER (comma) you can simply use the fan that is on the back of your case already, you aren't adding an additional fan to the equation. Hence, you aren't adding more sound to your computer by adding one of these.

Here's the review on the one under $30 I mentioned: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Zalman-LQ310-CPU-Cooler-Review/1697/1

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
As others have pointed out, the perfomance isn't better, stress on the motherboard isn't a problem with a quality board, there's no need to free up room over your CPU (the ventilation from your case fans is HELPED by the extra fans on a tower cooler), and they're the noise is just as dependent on the fans you use (it's not like they have huge rads so you can use quieter fans or anything). Add to that the possibility of leaks and a dead pump (no pump=0 cooling, and closed loop systems use crap pumps), and you'll understand why many people stick with air coolers. They won't beat a custom loop by any means, but they're certainly a match for any closed loop system currently on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.