News Noctua Shuffles Roadmap, Adds NH-L9a CPU Cooler for AMD AM5

Wait... Why the hell are they branding thermal paste as "AM5 Edition"? xD

Are they making it super conductive or something? How would that not work on Intel? I'm confuzzled, haha. EDIT: I see; they're adding "bumps" to account for the gaps on the tarantula IHS. Why? xD

Marketing teams, I swear...

Regards xD

Kuyric

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
From what I’ve read the editions are just the paste bundled with the shield.
Wait... Why the hell are they branding thermal paste as "AM5 Edition"? xD

Are they making it super conductive or something? How would that not work on Intel? I'm confuzzled, haha. EDIT: I see; they're adding "bumps" to account for the gaps on the tarantula IHS. Why? xD

Marketing teams, I swear...

Regards xD

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
From what I’ve read the editions are just the paste bundled with the shield.
AMD should include a couple shields made from cardstock. Once you have your heatsink mounted, you can just tear or cut them off.

If/when I install an AM5 CPU, I'm definitely going to look for one online that I can print and cut out.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Noctua supposedly has some good down-draft coolers, right? But I have difficulty believing they're as good as Cooler Master's "Direct Touch" models. I don't see how you can beat direct touch, as long as the number of pipes is the same and they're not spaced too far apart.

Incidentally, I see that Cooler Master's GeminII M5 LED seems to be discontinued in the USA, but the Taiwan site still shows it. I plan to use it for a 65 W AM4 build I'm about to do.