Noctua Slowly Advances At Computex 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i wish they would to one stupidly high power fan, not giving a damn about noise but still trying to be quiet... would love to see a 100+ or even 200+ cfm fan from them so i know what the competition should be at noise wise.

skipperkins

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
i wish they would to one stupidly high power fan, not giving a damn about noise but still trying to be quiet... would love to see a 100+ or even 200+ cfm fan from them so i know what the competition should be at noise wise.

One of their industrial fans is pretty crazy (NF-A14-3000). It is still quiet. For the most part the market for this type of fan is filled by Delta, Sunon and Sanyo. They make those in 120mm, 80mm and 40mm for servers that need airflow because none of the heat sinks have fans (not even CPUs).

They are kind of useless, save for a few that are actually quiet on a controller. Delta and Sunon have 150 CFM 120mm fans that are silent with a fan controller. They also last forever. A good double ball bearing Sunon will still be running after humanity died and cockroaches rule the earth.

Noctua, I wanna like your fans, but the fact their color clashes and doesn't go with any other computer part is infuriating. Because it's not "just black" so we can't ignore it. It stands out like a sore thumb.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Don't think most PC fan companies use aerodynamicists to design their fans. Plus some of their 3D CFD figures on their site is 100% Ansys. Aside from that surprise from Zotac on their GPU fan (essentially flaps), don't see most companies try this hard.

alextheblue

Distinguished
A good double ball bearing Sunon will still be running after humanity died and cockroaches rule the earth.

That's what RobCo Industries uses! I... I just watched the Fallout 4 trailer.

Anyway I've had really good luck with Noctua fans, dead silent but with enough airflow for my needs, really good PWM designs that don't have any "bad spots" at any RPM from minimum to max, and reliable. I don't mind the color scheme, but then again I didn't color match my RAM to my mainboard or GPU either, gasp.

I don't understand the focus on high SP..... what's out there to put them on ?..... I mena today not 10 years ago. Just how many 30 fpi radiators are left out there ? With the 8 - 12 fpi rads dominating the market, what market niche are they targeting ? More pressure = more velocity = more noise. The fan need only provide the required static pressure necessary to overcome the resistance of the fin spacing. A 1,000 pound hoist doesn't lift a 200 pound weight any better than a 25 pound hoist does.

Noc does do a great job, unlike Corsair, with their PWM fans but with NZXT joining Phanteks with a PWM => DCV fan hub, you can get all the benefits of PWM w/o any of the negatives (cost and low speed hum / clicking). Yes, Noc avoids the clicking / hum at low speeds but to do that and get a quality / quiet fan, you need to spent twice as much ($30). I paid $10 each for my fans, they outperform the Noc by 3C while spinning 300rpm slower. With 10 rad fans and 5 case fans, that saved me $300 (15 x $20).

What I would like to see are fans with removable blades (i.e Enermax Magma). The same blade housing design could be offered in:

Standard and medium pressure designs
DCV and PWM designs
Black Housing w/ white blades
Optional Accessory Rit Dye kits for custom / theme builds

Montego

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
When I was building my desktop PC I was trying to color-match or color-compliment all my components. When it came to the color of the Noctua fans, they simply didn't work at all.
A fellow builder, whom I have great respect for, told me that in his opinion Noctua arguably makes the best fans on the planet. The distinct coloring of Noctua fans lets everyone know that my computer build is now outfitted with, perhaps, the best retail fans available, which BTW, has spurred much envy amongst my gaming friends.

One of their industrial fans is pretty crazy (NF-A14-3000). It is still quiet. For the most part the market for this type of fan is filled by Delta, Sunon and Sanyo. They make those in 120mm, 80mm and 40mm for servers that need airflow because none of the heat sinks have fans (not even CPUs).

They are kind of useless, save for a few that are actually quiet on a controller. Delta and Sunon have 150 CFM 120mm fans that are silent with a fan controller. They also last forever. A good double ball bearing Sunon will still be running after humanity died and cockroaches rule the earth.

Delta fan = best fan, they have a 250CFM 120mm fan. I have five of them, and a Nidec BetaV and they are all great fans. once controlled they mover lots of air and do not kill your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.