Question Noctua U14s spring screws won't tighten

Oct 8, 2019
I'm having so much trouble trying to screw in my Noctua Nh U14s. If I screw one side in a little it, topples so much and I can't get the other side in. I'm pushing so much of my weight in trying to tighten it but it's not getting anywhere... I'm about to just give up and get another cpu cooler. Does anyone know any good compatible ones for I5 9600k cpu and asus prime z390-a motherboard? preferably around the same price range and does not have spring screws if possible...thanks

I would not try another cooler.

What I WOULD do, is figure out if it is hitting on something OR if you are using the correct hardware selection from the kit. Installation of the U14S, which I've done probably fifty times or more, shouldn't be difficult at all. You do need to start each of the four screws by only a few threads, and then work around in a criss cross pattern until snug.

If you can't get it to work then it is possible. and LIKELY, that you have either used the wrong mounting hardware or backplate, or are using the wrong standoffs. Probably the wrong standoffs. Keep in mind that hardware comes in that kit for MANY different platforms and you MUST use the correct ones for the platform you are using. In this case, you need to use the correct backplate and standoffs for the LGA 115x platform, which includes LGA 1150 and LGA 1151, both Intel.. If you try to use the AMD standoffs or other hardware, you will run into exactly the kind of problems that you are seeing.

This explains YOUR specific installation, for any cooler using the SecurFirm 2 mounting system, which is what you have with the NH-U14S.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mDubVwZuw

Reactions: DMAN999
Oct 8, 2019
I would not try another cooler.

What I WOULD do, is figure out if it is hitting on something OR if you are using the correct hardware selection from the kit. Installation of the U14S, which I've done probably fifty times or more, shouldn't be difficult at all. You do need to start each of the four screws by only a few threads, and then work around in a criss cross pattern until snug.

If you can't get it to work then it is possible. and LIKELY, that you have either used the wrong mounting hardware or backplate, or are using the wrong standoffs. Probably the wrong standoffs. Keep in mind that hardware comes in that kit for MANY different platforms and you MUST use the correct ones for the platform you are using. In this case, you need to use the correct backplate and standoffs for the LGA 115x platform, which includes LGA 1150 and LGA 1151, both Intel.. If you try to use the AMD standoffs or other hardware, you will run into exactly the kind of problems that you are seeing.

This explains YOUR specific installation, for any cooler using the SecurFirm 2 mounting system, which is what you have with the NH-U14S.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0mDubVwZuw
That's exactly what I did prior to watching the video. I have no idea why it won't budge

Something you've done isn't right. I can literally remove MY NH-U14S, clean the CPU and heatsink and reinstall it in ten minutes. Clean, new, five minute installation.

I would completely remove it, verify that you are using all the correct hardware, and do a dry run with no thermal paste to make sure you can get it installed, and then remove it and apply the paste. By now I'm sure your paste job is ruined anyhow.

Make sure you've selected all the correct hardware including the backing plate, standoffs, screws and mount, because ALL of those are specific to WHICH type of platform, Intel or AMD, and WHICH Intel or AMD generation, you are installing. It is EASY to accidentally use the wrong standoffs or screws, which are not all the same. Even within the box labeled "Intel" there might be more than one set of a given component. I can't remember if that is shipping with more than just the LGA 115x hardware now or if it also comes with the LGA 775 and other Intel sockets or not.

It's been a long while since I installed a Noctua cooler on anything that wasn't LGA 1150, 1151 or AM4.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
As someone who has installed several Noctua coolers, they are nearly always simple to install and remove. Spring machine screws are common and often means having to get one corner started, then another, then another...all being threaded before doing the X cross to tighten them down.

Try this. Take the whole thing off. Now, start the threads on the crossbrace only one or two turns into the curved side brackets. Next, start the knurled nuts that hold the side brackets on to the standoffs by just a few threads. Make sure the heatsink is centered over the CPU socket. Now tighten the screws down halfway that hold the crossbrace to the curved side brackets. Now tighten the curved side brackets down about halfway. Then fully snug down the screws holding the crossbrace to the curved side brackets and finish up by fully seating the knurled nuts on the side brack to standoff studs.

If the problem is that something feels stripped or the threads won't start at all, even without the cooler in place, then it's possible you are using the wrong hardware as I said before. If the cooler you got had been purchased before and returned then it's totally possible to get a cooler that has had the hardware put back into the wrong boxes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That secu-firm Noctua mounting system is the best there is, bar none. And has been for years. There's benn a recent rash of copy-cat mounts, and some are close, but Noctua is still king. It's the same mounting system used on the massive NH-D15 and afaik will be the same on the new cooler (even bigger than the D15) slated to be released sooner or later.

So if there's a mounting issue, it's either in the parts chosen (like the standoffs) or you have one side screwed down too far before trying to start the other.

It's either that, or the cpu isn't seated right and sticking up off the motherboard way too high, meaning you have other possible/probable issues and not with the cooler.

Yes, I'm pushing down and tightening one side and alternating the other but nothing is happening.

What, exactly, do you mean by "nothing is happening"? Are they not threading onto the stud threads in the center of the curved brackets? Do they thread onto them if the cooler is not installed and the hardware is off of the motherboard? Do you maybe have those curved brackets sitting in the wrong slots? There are like three holes on each end where they sit over the standoff studs and if they are not all in the right place, you probably won't be able to get the crossbar screws to start because they will either be at an angle or too far/close.