News Noctua unveils its Home series products — $100 NV-FS1 desk fan is the star attraction

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I don't think these will sell that well.
At the very least, I wished the desk fan used a built-in battery for that price.
It's not too difficult to find quiet desk fans, once you move up to 16cm diameter blades.

RoLleRKoaSTeR

Reputable
Sep 3, 2020
I'm sorry, but my 26+ year old Vornado fan moves air. I can be 20 feet away from it and on medium setting I can feel the fan moving air. Vornado - FTW.

Reactions: bit_user

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I mean, it's not a bad idea. I enjoy using PC fans for other non-PC related things. Wiring up a nice 120mm fan with a fan controller and housing as a desk fan is a perfectly useful idea. But it feels like that's all they did. Here's a fan, a basic PWM controller, a power adapter and a basic mounting bracket. Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the fan speed controller will just be hanging off the fan wire where you'll have to reach around to find it to make any adjustments. Or have it awkwardly sitting on the desk. At the very least, they could have integrated those things better. The fan controller should be mounted as part of the fan housing preferably with a larger knob that is easier to use. The power adapter could also be part of that so you have a normal power connector and not another brick you need to find a spot on a power strip that doesn't block other outlets. It feels like they did the minimal possible to make this work.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would've been more open-minded to these, had Thermalright not been providing some serious competition for them on the CPU cooler front and had I not just recently been met with disappointment by their NF-A9x14 PWM fans - both the beige-colored and the HS black versions get really noisy above maybe 1000 RPMs. Very uncharacteristic of Noctua fans, IMO. Maybe they should be spending more time & money researching better bearings for narrow fans, or whatever is the actual reason why those fans are so loud.

Technically, the fan shroud sounds very intriguing, especially the helix energy recovery and the Venturi-effect volume enhancement. I did get a chuckle out of the way they copied & pasted the same text underneath each of these three panels:

N2bE6ahubgrRynfCRJnYVE.jpg

Oops!