Node 202 gpu overheating

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hey everyone, I have a fractal design 202 and my xfx rx 480 is overheating bad. I have 0 solution.

Xfx rx 480 8gb
450w included pay
R3 1200
Evga 2 sticks running 2133mhz
Biostar x370 gtn
Node 202
Noctua l9a am4

The gpu keeps throttling and either
1. I dropped clock and fps
2. The fan is obnoxiously loud to the point that it can be heard downstairs and drop fps anyway.

I put a 120mm nzxt stock case fan as an intake directly in front of the gpu mind you and I also undervolted the card from 1150mv to 1090mv.

The board only has 1 sysfan port. I don't know what I can possibly do here.

I could maybe make that fan an exaust but I don't feel like opening it up again right now.

Any ideas at all would be appreciated. I feel like I just wasted my time and money :(

Solution
What you're experiencing with you open-air type GPU in a such small and cramped up case is that all the heat GPU produces is dissipated inside the PC case and that rises the internal temps. Since GPU itself uses PC's internal air to cool itself, you'll get a loop of internal air getting hotter and hotter up to the point where GPU thermal throttle starts.

To fix it, there are 3 things to try:
1. If your case lies on it's side, try turning it upwards and look if it helps since hot air rises. Or when you have it upright, turn it on it's side.

2. Since your MoBo has 1x SYS_FAN header and your case supports 2x 120mm fans at the GPU area, use a Y-splitter to connect 2x 120mm fans to your MoBo to provide additional cooling for your GPU...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What you're experiencing with you open-air type GPU in a such small and cramped up case is that all the heat GPU produces is dissipated inside the PC case and that rises the internal temps. Since GPU itself uses PC's internal air to cool itself, you'll get a loop of internal air getting hotter and hotter up to the point where GPU thermal throttle starts.

To fix it, there are 3 things to try:
1. If your case lies on it's side, try turning it upwards and look if it helps since hot air rises. Or when you have it upright, turn it on it's side.

2. Since your MoBo has 1x SYS_FAN header and your case supports 2x 120mm fans at the GPU area, use a Y-splitter to connect 2x 120mm fans to your MoBo to provide additional cooling for your GPU. Mount both fans as intake.
Y-splitter at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SYC1-Accessory-4-pin-Y-Cables/dp/B00KG8K5CY

Also, using high CFM fans provides better cooling, e.g Noctua NF-F12 PWM,
specs: http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-f12-pwm

3. As i stated above, your small case is cramped up and best fix would be using blower type GPU. With blower type GPU, all the heat GPU produces will be exhausted directly outside of the case and there won't be any issue with internal air getting hotter and hotter which leads to the GPU thermal throttling.
Here's an example on how the blower-type GPU looks,
link: https://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/radeon-rx-series/radeon-rx-480

Solution

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Wow that was really detailed and helpful. I'm gonna order those fans and the splitter.

The only blower style gpu worth me getting at this point is the gtx 1070ti cause the blower style rx 4 and 580 are 400 bucks for whatever reason, mining I guess.

I tested with the top half of the case off and it was much better so yah, hot air being recycled.

Thanks a lot for that I'm gonna try the fan idea cause I really don't wanna buy a new gpu :(

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I also switch the vertical orientation so that the gpu is on the top side not that bottom and that seemed to help a little to, even though in pictures people have it so that the gpu is on the bottom and cpu on top which I found strange now that I look at it, unless my cpu will overheat now lmao :pt1cable:

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Okay so I have the fans coming. Weird thing is, it happens in certain games. Doom in max settings was perfect. Witcher 3 was okay. Hellblade and some game ylands that just come out it immediately overt heats. Now my question is, could it be something that's not the card or card being defective now. Could it be that I have a 450w psu? I doubt that though, should be more than enough. Maybe the pcie extender that comes with the 202. I don't see how it can go from 60c to overheating immediately once I raise settings. Maybe over the course of a few minutes but it's like instant. What do you think? The psu is a bronze rated that comes with the case. Good quality from what I've read.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As far as why your GPU overheats in certain games can be because not all games are created equal. There are games that put most load on CPU while the rest put the most load on GPU. When GPU needs to work harder, it also produces more heat and can overheat.

About your PSU. I did find a review of it but it's in German. You can use Google Translate to translate it into more readable language (e.g English) if you don't speak German,
link: https://www.computerbase.de/2014-11/fractal-design-integra-m-450-watt-im-test/

According to that review, Intrega M 450W PSU is a mediocre quality unit. Though, PSU has nothing to do with your GPU overheating. If you'd have PSU issues then your system would reboot/shut down once you start playing games or put any high load on the PC.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You can take this as a learning lesson not to put open-air type GPU into a small case which has very limited airflow options.

Do note that HTPC cases (like your Node 202) aren't designed to be used as a gaming PCs with the simple fact of poor airflow they provide. Proper gaming PCs produce a lot of heat and they also require proper cooling. HTPC cases, like the name suggests (Home Theater Personal Computer) are meant for PCs that never see any high loads, e.g to act as a platform between TV and DVD reader to watch movies or in office as an office PC.

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Yeah lesson learned. I just wanted to make my own couch console :(

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

In reviews I read people did the build just fine so i thought I could. Hopefully o can salvage this

mperna21

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Hey man one last question if you don't mind. I got the fans you recommended and the splitter. My question is the fan control on the bios is a joke so I just use LN adapters as a work around. Do I do, both fans into 1 LN adapter each then into splitter? Or both fans into splitter then splitter into 1 LN adapter?

Thanks a lot if you find the time.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
The LNA (Low-Noise Adapter) has resistor in it which reduces the voltage, thus the fan connected to there spins at lower speed (1200 RPM vs 1500RPM). You don't need to use LNA if you don't want to. But if you do, connect one fan per one LNA.

Can I use Low-Noise Adaptors with y-cables / multiple fans?

Yes, Low-Noise Adaptors (L.N.A.s) can be used with y-cables, but please make sure to use one L.N.A. per fan and to place the L.N.A.s between the y-cable and the fans as shown below. Never use one L.N.A. for two (or more fans) by placing it between the mainboard and the y-cable!

faq_y_cable_lna.png
source: https://noctua.at/en/nf-p12/faq