Question Noise from new cooler

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
Hello all and thanks for looking. I just upgraded my chip from a Ryzen 3 to a 5. The new one came with an identical heat-sink and cooling fan. This one is a lot louder than the last. The hum also changes frequently and at times it also seems to make the case vibrate. A thump against the side (percussive maintenance) makes it go away for a few minutes. I have no problem upgrading the cooler but wanted to know if there are other points to reinforce as well. Thanks for any ideas, Skip

Which Ryzen 5? I had the same issue with a 3600X and a wraith prism cooler, it sounded like it was going to take off! The nature of the ryzen cpu's continuously boosting their speeds can make the wraith coolers really loud as they ramp up and down, best thing i ever did was buy and after market cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can change the fan profile in bios, set the middle temp higher, like 60. Then the fan will have a longer, shallower curve upto that temp but a sharper rise to top temp. Ryzens generally run seemingly hotter than Intels, it's a false number. Intels is all the cores splitting the background workload, Ryzens is 1 core at idle so has all the workload. It's the 1 core doing more, so runs warmer, and the processes and services stopping and starting make it spike. Totally normal behavior, but if the fan curve is too low, it ramps the fans constantly and annoyingly.

Reactions: kurdtnz

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
Thanks All, This is a 3600 -- not the 3600x

AlextheFern, that was the first thing I checked. I backed off the fan slightly and checked the mobo mounts. They all look fine. Still, I think it is an interior component rather than the fan itself since it makes less noise with the sides off the box. I'll disassemble it and put it back together tonight. If it was a window I'd caulk it!

I checked the temperature and it is running about average with a fairly light load (not a gamer). Still; that is not a highly-regarded fan. If an aftermarket upgrade runs smoother, that can't hurt. Thanks and cheers, sh

luthierwnc

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2013
Doh! Sympathetic vibrations. The computer is sitting on an oak shelf that is cantilevered about a foot away from the support strut. It is the shelf that's wiggling. When the fan kicks into overdrive, it shakes enough to vibrate. Rubber feet fixed the noise. I'm not sure that is ideal since it shouldn't be vibrating in the first place but it works for now. Thanks and good luck with your projects. sh