Noise from speakers when moving mouse or CPU activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachMeners

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Hey everyone,

Since a few days I've encountered this weird problem on my pc.
Whenever I move the mouse, or there is some heavy CPU activity, I can hear high pitched noises from my USB speakers. These are especially audible while moving the viewports in the Unity Editor or running Prime95.

Build:
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4 GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Asus GTX 770
PSU: Corsair CS650m
I'm using the on-board audio with a standard 3.5mm jack.

I've been reading quite a few topics about this problems and these are my findings thus far:
- Plugging the mouse and speakers in the back I/O panel always results in the noise. However, when I move the USB plug from the speaker to either the front panel or another pc, the noise is gone.
- Replacing the mouse (Logitech G500) with a cheap HP mouse solves the noise while moving the mouse, but it's still there during CPU load.
- Disabling/muting any audio input/output (mic, inline, out) or audio drivers doesn't change the noise. Disabling System Beep also didn't solve the problem.
- The noise can be heard in the BIOS.
- The noise cannot be heard while in Safe Mode. (Though I couldn't really test under heavy CPU load).
- C1E is disabled in the BIOS; changing this setting doesn't influence the noise.
- When I use cheap non-amplified/non-powered earphones the noise is gone.
- When using old speakers with their own power plug there's a lot of noise and I even heard bits of local radio. These speakers work fine when connected to another computer.

I think that I may have some ground looping or EMI (electromagnetic interference) problem with my USB connectors / back panel, but I don't really have the know-how to solve those things. If it's indeed one of those problems, is it safe to circumvent them with a dedicated sound card? (If that's even possible.) Or is this maybe even the symptom of a dying motherboard / PSU?

I'm really looking forward to any solutions/tips you guys can give me!

NachMeners

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

I've bought an Asus Xonar DGX and, while my sound quality has increased compared to the on-board audio, the buzzing noise still persists.

Today I also tried plugging my computer into a grounded outlet, instead of its usual ungrounded one, but that also didn't make a difference. (I still think that the noise is resulting from a grounding problem, maybe inside the case itself?)

NachMeners

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015

Not yet.
However, I have discovered that the problem is probably due to EMI, in my case. (I noticed that my guitar amp also plays the noise when I move my guitar closer to the computer.)

As far as I know you can't really get rid of the EMI without testing each individual part of the computer and replacing the part that causes the interference. (Common culprits seem to be the PSU, GPU or motherboard.)

Other than that, the sound card that I bought outputs a louder volume than the onboard audio chip, allowing me to turn down my speakers, which minimizes the noise.

swampy47

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Hi

I had this problem ,
my set up is different though ...I connect my sound card to an external amp and this is when I had problem.... moving the mouse it made a horrible noise
scolling the mouse wheel was the worse ,
when I did nothing it was ok but soon as moved the mouse it made the noise.
it was fine though connecting headphones straight to the sound card.

I solved my noise problem today after long time! it was my monitors display port cable or some settings with my montior
was my monitor
try unplugging the hdmi cable / displayport cable or turning off the monitor when the computers on a webpage and scoll move the mouse // took me ages to figure this out and I've tried everything!!

also try moving all your other wires away from your monitors display cable

if this dont work try plugging the computer in another wall socket with an extension

I also changed my monitors sound setting to displayport not the 3.4 headphone jack on the montiors in built settings
also changed the power setting to power save mode

my sound cards a creative ZxR and monitors is Eizo foris FG2421

Jan 17, 2019
I had also this weird experience :(
luckily, I get rid of the problem.
since my USB speaker getting power through pc's USB port, I pull out the USB cable of the speaker, then plugged into USB power adapter (mobile charger/1A-5V), which is hooked up by wall outlet .
Now, I'm getting no awkward noise, hum, buzzing sounds!

FYI:
a) 1st I thought, there is something wrong with my house's grounding / earthing or may be my motherboard's built in sound card has issues. but now I'am happy, problem is gone. Alhamdulillah!

b) I know, this a very old thread, but added my solution after seeing the thread at top of the results in google search. So, anyone can be benefited near future.

c) this is not a permanent solution, because I want my usb speaker powered through pc's usb port, not from wall outlet by an adapter. perhaps there is an issue with PSU / Motherboard / Case- who knows? upgrading one of them may change the scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.