Noise from the Desktop computer chassis

fasistkieth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Whenever i run a big computer game that requires a lot of specs or even a lot of processes at once, a noise comes from the computer chassis. Then everything lags down. The FPS goes from 40-> 20-10. I have already replace the power unit and HDD. It is not the noise of wires interfering with fan rotation, for i have checked that for the power unit, VGA and CPU. What causes this?

My specs
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
Language: Sinhala (Regional Setting: Sinhala)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 1390MB used, 2703MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8500 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421&SUBSYS_829F1043&REV_A1
Display Memory: 1267 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Solution
An NVidia 8500 is not really much of a gaming card, but should run some of the odler titles fine.

I think the noise could also be caused just by a heatsink or a fan getting blocked up with dust build-up.

The way to solve this is to power the PC down, then remove the side and use a can of compressed air to blow the fluff and dust out of the parts. I the past I have gone to do this to a computer because it was making a lot of noise, expecially when "under load", and seen soooo much dust that I have removed the heat sink so I could properly get the stuff out.
Then I replaced some fo the thermal paste and put it back together. I have seen cases where this really has helped a lot.

You can also blow any dust from the GPU fan (if there...

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
You could have a fautly fan somewhere and when it hits max speed it's rotation is off, sometimes this happens when the bearing is gone. Is it a whirring kinda noise or a buzzing or a regular every .5 seconds kinda vibration noise? (or a combination of all three!:D) If it's happening on computer games I'd check the fan on your GPU, if the FPS is dropping it's probably overheating I'd say and it's kicking the fan into super action but its not cooling properly. Someone suggested using a rolled up kitchen roll tube to isolate the fan noise before, sounds like a good idea. Try that with your GPU fan. If it is that, you should be able to get an aftermarket fan for about $15-$25 that might solve your prob. If not it could also be the CPU fan. The stock fans on the Intel can be quite noisey but I think the FPS drop really points to the GeForce 8500

fasistkieth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
It is a combination of all three! Doesnt seem to be coming from the GPU caus i borrowed an HD 4350 from one of my friends and tested it out on Farcry 2, but got the same results and frustrated me so much that i literaly kicked the GPU out of it socket :lol:
Thanks anyway.

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
An NVidia 8500 is not really much of a gaming card, but should run some of the odler titles fine.

I think the noise could also be caused just by a heatsink or a fan getting blocked up with dust build-up.

The way to solve this is to power the PC down, then remove the side and use a can of compressed air to blow the fluff and dust out of the parts. I the past I have gone to do this to a computer because it was making a lot of noise, expecially when "under load", and seen soooo much dust that I have removed the heat sink so I could properly get the stuff out.
Then I replaced some fo the thermal paste and put it back together. I have seen cases where this really has helped a lot.

You can also blow any dust from the GPU fan (if there is one) and the PSU fan.

Solution

fasistkieth

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Did that, took apart the GPU and found a load of dust in the heat sink and fan. Same with the CPU. But the issue remains the same. 8500 GT may not be much of a gaming card but i can run Crysis with medium settings.

micromiket

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Might be geforce 8500 graphic card fan. I had buzzing noise come from it . The fan is located on underside of card. It turned out the plastic card itself warps. and the fan hits some of it. You need to carefully and gently bend the ends of the card slightly downward toward the fan. It no longer hits the card and the sound is gone. It worked for me. good luck