Noise Levels for Dell Desktops

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Thanx,
Key Bored

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

My 8200 is very quiet. Most noise comes from cheap fans or loose/vibrating
fan shroud (covering around the fan). Dell replaced the original noise fan
which has been quiet ever since. Another source of noise is the fan for a
high end graphic card which generates a lot of heat and needs extra strong
cooling. You can buy replacement fans which are quieter than the originals.
If you select a mid level graphic card you'll probably end up with a quiet
Dell, either 4600 or 8400.

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

My 4600 was whisper quiet when I first bought but within a month it was a
leaf blower. Apparently it was common at the time but don't know if they've
fixed it or not.

"Ricky W. Hunt" <rhunt22@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
>> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
>> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
>> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>>
>> Thanx,
>> Key Bored
>
>My 4600 was whisper quiet when I first bought but within a month it was a
>leaf blower. Apparently it was common at the time but don't know if they've
>fixed it or not.

My Dimension 8300 is super noisy, particularly when it's a little warm
out. I can hear in the next room! I have to turn it off at time when I am
not using it because it is so loud at times.

It has the 3.0MHz and ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB and the combination is
loud!
Charliec

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in

> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like
> Sony, Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for
> computers?

This is an interesting thread. My current desktop is an 8100. It and my
prior two Dell desktops were too noisy for me. In fact, I've now gone to
nearly exclusive use of my laptop, largely because the desktops cause my
ears to ring. It is strange though that my home desktops cause me such
problems because my work Dell desktops do not - I think it may be because
the work ventilation system serves as a white noise that filters this out
(my hypothesis!).

--
Tom McCune

I am using a 4300. Its case fan was quite noisy, and I tolerated it
for two years. Then I discovered that Dell has been replacing the
noisy case fan with a quiet one for quite some time. I ordered a new
case fan from Dell, and the PC is quiet ever since.

Jay Chan

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:3oudnRBOC4iRbBrcRVn-gA@comcast.com...
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or 8400.
> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway, or
> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

Some info can be found in the documents located here:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/corp/environment/en/prod_datasheets?c=us&l=en&s=corp

However, I find the information frustratingly vague. The configuration of the
test machines isn't fully documented, nor is the amount of load. But that is
something to look at.

There are numerous forums on the net where PC quieting is dicussed. For
example, www.anandtech.com, www.tomshardware.com, and
www.silentpcreview.com have forums. I don't know whether any third
parties have evaluated Dells, Gateways, etc for noise. However, if you
dig around you'll probably find numerous personal comments regarding
how quiet or noisy they are.

You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and what
one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If you
aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could build
your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.

"User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> You best bet would be to find someone that owns the exact machine you
> are considering, and go have a listen. Noise is a subjective thing, and
> what
> one person might consider quiet you might consider highly annoying. If
> you
> aren't satisfied with the noise levels of Dells, Gateways, etc you could
> build
> your own quieter machine, or purchase one from a reputable builder.

Good suggestion to have computer custom built at a local shop if you're not
skilled in computer assembly. Burn out one CPU and labor savings are lost.
By emphasizing on quietness you can select higher quality fans and insulated
case with minimum addl. cost. Alternatively, be sure Dell replaces noisy
fans etc. I have a 4600 and an 8200 both of which, IMO, run quietly.

Tom McCune wrote:
> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600
>> or 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of
>> these models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers
>> like Sony, Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings
for
>> computers?
>
> This is an interesting thread. My current desktop is an 8100. It
> and my prior two Dell desktops were too noisy for me. In fact, I've
> now gone to nearly exclusive use of my laptop, largely because the
> desktops cause my ears to ring. It is strange though that my home
> desktops cause me such problems because my work Dell desktops do not
> - I think it may be because the work ventilation system serves as a
> white noise that filters this out (my hypothesis!).

Hi Tom,
I also have a Dimension 8100. In the course of time it became very
noisy indeed.
Recently I had a handyman replace both of the coolers you can see on
the backside (one of them belongs to the electric power unit)
Now it's as quiet again as if it was new.
Maybe it's a solution to consider ?
wederik

"wederik" <wederikNOSPAM@chello.nl> wrote in news:2urss2F2cqek5U1@uni-
berlin.de:

> Hi Tom,
> I also have a Dimension 8100. In the course of time it became very
> noisy indeed.
> Recently I had a handyman replace both of the coolers you can see on
> the backside (one of them belongs to the electric power unit)
> Now it's as quiet again as if it was new.
> Maybe it's a solution to consider ?
> wederik

Thank you. I've noticed this from the beginning and don't think it has
become louder, but I may take a look again. I would really prefer to have
a desktop for my main computer at home, but this laptop is really so much
easier on my ears. I guess I should also add that this ear ringing may
well be something I'm just much more sensitive to than most people.

--
Tom McCune

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

Just received a 4600 2 days ago and its fan/disk noise is nil (nearly
inaudible),
CD rev'ing up is audible (as I would want it to be)..

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:38:59 GMT, Tom McCune <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
wrote:

> Thank you. I've noticed this from the beginning and don't think it has
> become louder, but I may take a look again. I would really prefer to
> have
> a desktop for my main computer at home, but this laptop is really so much
> easier on my ears. I guess I should also add that this ear ringing may
> well be something I'm just much more sensitive to than most people.

When my computer is super noisy(on a hot, humid day in summer), I use cheap
foam earplugs. A very simple, cheap, convenient solution - I also use the
earplugs for sleeping.

Buck

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
should be avoided as they get very warm
and so will need more cooling

the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an office
environment

they are a basic 2.something P4 model

i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow

on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a quiet
pc is to get a dell
rather than customise something else

also the case design helps

i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never thought
anything of them
but once i've used on it convinced me

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
8400.
> Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,
or
> HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
>
> Thanx,
> Key Bored

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

GX260 - 2.66 P4 - on board sound and i'd guess graphics

full tower case so you can upgrade video etc.

theres different types but full tower will give you the most options

i reckon them big time

"zero" <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dells are very quiet in general - i'd guess the very high end P4 models
> should be avoided as they get very warm
> and so will need more cooling
>
> the corporation i work for has thousands of dells - very quiet in an
office
> environment
>
> they are a basic 2.something P4 model
>
> i'll try and get a model no. tomorrow
>
> on sites such as silent pc review - it seems the easiest way to get a
quiet
> pc is to get a dell
> rather than customise something else
>
> also the case design helps
>
> i sound a bit biased ( no !) but its from experience only , i never
thought
> anything of them
> but once i've used on it convinced me
>

> "Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400.
> > Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these models,
> > compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony, Gateway,
> or
> > HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?
> >
> > Thanx,
> > Key Bored

"Key Bored" <nobodyinparticular@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm considering buying a new computer, probably Dell Dimension 4600 or
> 8400. Does anyone have info or opinions on the noise level of these
> models, compared to other Dell models or other manufacturers like Sony,
> Gateway, or HP? Is there a website with noise ratings for computers?

I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!

I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
(the 3000 being the quietest).

The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
and put the PC in the garage.

"Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message news:<39cjd.1625$U24.998@newsfe1-win.ntli.net>...

> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>
> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in comparison
> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>
> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it on.
> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long cables
> and put the PC in the garage.

Hi Comp UK,

a second very long cable for me too !!
Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
concerned too.
Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
Let me know what you want to do.

Bye ...

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>
>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>> comparison
>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>
>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>> on.
>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>> cables
>> and put the PC in the garage.
>
> Hi Comp UK,
>
> a second very long cable for me too !!
> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
> concerned too.
> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
> Let me know what you want to do.
>
> Bye ...

If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Post back

Stew

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>
>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>
>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>> comparison
>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>
>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>> on.
>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>> cables
>> and put the PC in the garage.
>
> Hi Comp UK,
>
> a second very long cable for me too !!
> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
> concerned too.
> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
> Let me know what you want to do.

Hi there, thanks for the link. I notice there are in the same boat.

I opened my PC last night and had a good listen and the problem is the fan
coming ONLY from the CPU/processor fan (Dell part #). The other fan seems
fairly silent.

I wouldn't mind if it was a constant tone/pitch, but it isn't.

My PC spec is 3GHZ, ATI 300SE and 1GB RAM.

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=201772&query.id=391169#M201770
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=201881&query.id=391169#M201880
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=89423&query.id=391101#M89423

And very handy noise diagnosis
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1033989

My PC is loud ALL the time. Start up to shutdown. I'd not say it's a vacuum
sound, more like a hairdryer/lawn mower with some low-pitch rattling.

I'm VERY happy with the PC otherwise so I may just be getting a very long
set of cables :D

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<mQzjd.52151$Tq1.46807@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...

> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask for
> a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.
>
> Post back
>

> Stew

The fan runs not "wide open", if then, it´s sound like a vacuum
cleaner (only testet with the Dell Tool). I replaced the fan two times
- same noise.
The first fan was a DELTA, the second a NIDEC.
By the way - the fan is constantly changes for a short moment the RPM
if you start a program, klick the mouse or scan a picture ....!
I don´t think it´s the fan.

"John" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> I don´t think it´s the fan.
>

> Neither does this guy
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=oplex_other&message.id=15023&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
>
> He thinks that's the problem solved. Hopefully it applies to our 8400s
> too.

Since Peter is seeing some fluctuation in the fan speeds and has had fan
replacement, then it's obviously not the fan. The system boards I've seen
fail usually allow the fan to operate "wide open" uncontrolled continually.
One could dry one's hair with it.

Also, the "performance heatsink" mentioned in the Dell forum thread (
W4254 ) is, I believe the 'standard' heatsink *already* used in the
Dim8400 - or at least it is the only one I've noted. The bar code with this
part number is visible on the top of the HS.

The (poor) seating of the heatsink mentioned in that thread could indeed
cause rapid variation in the fan speeds on a regular basis. The fit of the
heatsink base into the motherboard "pedestal" into which the HS snaps in is
rather clumsy in that it is very tight and "flexes" the pedestal itself.
It's not unthinkable that the HS could be snapped in but at a slight
(incorrect) angle, leading to uneven cooling and ultimately over-active fan
cycling.

I've also believed that the amount of thermal compound ( resembles artic
silver in appearance ) is excessive in amount in thickness on the HS.

If it were mine, I'd venture to clean the heatsink contact area and the top
of the CPU with a mild alcohol wipe and lightly re-apply a different
compound to see if that and thorough reseating changes anything.

Stew

Stew

> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a UK supplied Dell 8400. The noise is killing me!
>>>
>>> I also have a 4600, 3000 and 2400 and they are deadly silent in
>>> comparison
>>> (the 3000 being the quietest).
>>>
>>> The biggest problem is the noise pitch is never the same when I turn it
>>> on.
>>> I'm going to consider asking Dell to fix this or get some very long
>>> cables
>>> and put the PC in the garage.
>>
>> Hi Comp UK,
>>
>> a second very long cable for me too !!
>> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
>> concerned too.
>> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
>> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
>> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
>> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
>> Let me know what you want to do.
>>
>> Bye ...
>

> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask
> for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.

Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first determine
WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Peter Richter" <prweb@arcor.de> wrote in message
>>> "Comp UK" <compu@notecompu.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Comp UK,
>>>
>>> a second very long cable for me too !!
>>> Same problem with my 2 month old Dimension 8400, many people are
>>> concerned too.
>>> Read the http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums
>>> I think Dell know what the problem is. In my opinion - it is not the
>>> fan, perhaps the motherboard, the RPM-Control.
>>> We have no chance to fix the problem with replacement-fans from Dell.
>>> Let me know what you want to do.
>>>
>>> Bye ...
>>

>> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of the
>> time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might ask
>> for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb changed.
>>

> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
> determine WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.

While it's true enough that video fans can make noise, they typically do not
fluctuate once the machine is booted. This poster is referring specifically
to his CPU/case fan.

I addressed the heatsink seating/compound in my prior post.

Sadly, you likely do not know the hardware of this particular machine (the
Dim8400) as I do. That makes me somewhat more qualified to make such a
statement.

Be that as it may, a 'good' technician - not unlike a skilled athlete or
doctor - does not have to tell anyone that they are 'good'.

That is determined by the results of their work.

Stew

>>> If the fan is exceedingly loud (i.e.- running "wide open" most all of
>>> the time), then the motherboard likely needs to be replaced. You might
>>> ask for a replacement fan first just to verify before having the mb
>>> changed.
>>>

>> Before jumping to such conclusions a 'good' technician will first
>> determine WHICH fan is making the noise (CPU or Video).
>> Even if it is CPU fan, this hardly indicates a replacement of the
>> motherboard is warranted as it could simply be a poorly seated heatsink.
>>

> While it's true enough that video fans can make noise, they typically do
> not fluctuate once the machine is booted. This poster is referring
> specifically to his CPU/case fan.

True they (video cooling fans) do not 'typically' fluctuate, but then we are
talking about failing fans here aren't we! In which case I have seen many do
this over the years. As for the OP referring 'specifically' to CPU/case fan,
not in the message I responded to he hadn't. Only a mention fluctuating
noise level.

> I addressed the heatsink seating/compound in my prior post.
>
> Sadly, you likely do not know the hardware of this particular machine (the
> Dim8400) as I do. That makes me somewhat more qualified to make such a
> statement.

Well good for you, and I now see that. You do realize that perhaps your
heatsink seating/compound response may not have been showing on everyones
news servers and in fact was not yet showing on mine. More sadly you appear
to be very hung on yourself and your alleged skills as a super tech and your
assumptions that you are more qualified than another to make a legitimate
response are evidence of this. I have seen plenty like you come and go in my
25 years of working on systems and suppose the trend will continue. By the
way, I own two 8400's myself and have worked on several, I am quite familiar
with them.

> Be that as it may, a 'good' technician - not unlike a skilled athlete or
> doctor - does not have to tell anyone that they are 'good'.
>
> That is determined by the results of their work.

I am quite pleased with the number of customers my company has that send
others our way. You on the other hand are the one that seems to be all set
on telling us what a super-tech you are.

Given this response and your previous pithy comments, consider yourself and
your ego dismissed.

Regards,

Stew