[SOLVED] Noisy but working HDD with pretty much all bad sectors?

Sep 11, 2017
What title says, the only problem my drive ever had since day 1 is being noisy, you can hear sort of a "blrblrlbrlblrblr" everytime the HDD has to write something. Rather annoying but no big deal.

Anyway, lately, 4 years after I've acquired it I've been having a problem, which is that it takes more time to refresh the Windows 10 desktop. Say I download an image or close a folder, well, although the machine and all programs keep working fine, the desktop (the windows explorer more like) gets stuck and takes like 5-10 secs to refresh.

Now that raised a red flag, did an scan and I found that, so far, have 500,000 bad sectors (so the drive should be around 60% scanned or so, but the % is stuck at 0).

Seems weird because I can still access all my data, write and read from it just fine, it's actually just slow on windows explorer.
In any case, I have backed up my data to other storage devices so this doesn't concern me greatly.

Funny thing, I have a 320 GB HDD from the same brand that does not have any bad sectors, doesn't make noise, its 1 year older (5-6 years old) and still works great.

Any Ideas of what It might be? Can I fix it with HDD Regenerator? Maybe a few slaps to the HDD lol? Or should I just ditch it entirely?

Or can I just keep using it normally expeting it to become ever slower?

Thanks

SMART report
View: https://i.imgur.com/1isphvk.png

Last edited:
Solution
Please download and run Crystaldiskinfo and that will tell you exactly the status of the hard drive. It can say Good in green or give percentage or say Caution. I bet it says caution which means backup your stuff from that drive then put a magnet on it and toss her away.🙈👽🤷‍♂️☮

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Please download and run Crystaldiskinfo and that will tell you exactly the status of the hard drive. It can say Good in green or give percentage or say Caution. I bet it says caution which means backup your stuff from that drive then put a magnet on it and toss her away.🙈👽🤷‍♂️☮

Solution
Sep 11, 2017

It says "Caution" in yellow. Says it has been running for 8700 hours. Also just checked and my other HDD says it's been working for almost 20,000 and its also on caution. well, <Mod Edit>.

Time to drill a hole in at least one of them. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: