[SOLVED] noisy gpu

Dec 14, 2021
My MB is Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H. I have 2 PCIE slots (x16 and x4). Is it normal that my GPU is a little bit more noisy on the first slot than the second one? Or does it mean my first slot has some kind of issue?

Solution
Is it normal

Yes, since on the 1st slot, GPU can be utilized fully, due to the 16 PCI-E lanes the 1st (upper) slot has. 2nd (lower) slot has only 4 PCI-E lanes, where at most, GPU can be utilized 25% of it's max performance.

There are very rare circumstances why to use GPU in x4 slot, rather than in x16 slot. One of them being where x16 slot, for some reason, has died and you only have x4 slot left to use. But under normal use, there is no reason why to limit your GPU output to 1/4 of it's max performance by plugging it into x4 slot. There are easier ways to limit GPU utilization.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is it normal

Yes, since on the 1st slot, GPU can be utilized fully, due to the 16 PCI-E lanes the 1st (upper) slot has. 2nd (lower) slot has only 4 PCI-E lanes, where at most, GPU can be utilized 25% of it's max performance.

There are very rare circumstances why to use GPU in x4 slot, rather than in x16 slot. One of them being where x16 slot, for some reason, has died and you only have x4 slot left to use. But under normal use, there is no reason why to limit your GPU output to 1/4 of it's max performance by plugging it into x4 slot. There are easier ways to limit GPU utilization.

Reactions: xUser2021
Solution