Build Advice Noisy PSU

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Hello! I currently have a Coolermaster eXtreme Power 600W ATX power supply https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DNmLrH/cooler-master-power-supply-rs600pcare3us. It's been working in this (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9kwn6R) PC for about 10 years now. This year, this PC was upgraded with a GPU (RX 570) and a decent CPU cooler (be Quiet! Pure Rock) for overclocking. I am now realizing that my CPU cooler and Case Fan (Thermaltake fan) are extremely quiet, my gpu is reasonably quiet except if overheating and under full load. My only loud component is my psu, which is annoyingly loud at idle and extremely losy at load, even through gaming headphones. The 2 factors I've narrowed it down to is the loud fan in the PSU (AD1212US-A71GL) and the lack of a No-RPM mode. Should I attempt to replace the fan with something like a Noctua or be Quiet? Should I replace the whole thing (it is pretty inefficient)? Or is it not worth it, and I should just live with the noise?

Hello! I currently have a Coolermaster eXtreme Power 600W ATX power supply https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DNmLrH/cooler-master-power-supply-rs600pcare3us. It's been working in this (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9kwn6R) PC for about 10 years now. This year, this PC was upgraded with a GPU (RX 570) and a decent CPU cooler (be Quiet! Pure Rock) for overclocking. I am now realizing that my CPU cooler and Case Fan (Thermaltake fan) are extremely quiet, my gpu is reasonably quiet except if overheating and under full load. My only loud component is my psu, which is annoyingly loud at idle and extremely losy at load, even through gaming headphones. The 2 factors I've narrowed it down to is the loud fan in the PSU (AD1212US-A71GL) and the lack of a No-RPM mode. Should I attempt to replace the fan with something like a Noctua or be Quiet? Should I replace the whole thing (it is pretty inefficient)? Or is it not worth it, and I should just live with the noise?
I would not have expected that PSU to last 10 years.
Please replace it with a modern PSU that could control fan speed as needed and it will run whisper quiet.
Don't risk your other components

Reactions: throwawayaccnt

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
I would not have expected that PSU to last 10 years.
Please replace it with a modern PSU that could control fan speed as needed and it will run whisper quiet.
Don't risk your other components
Is there any risk of damage with this PSU?

Is there any budget PSU you recommend that could support this PC with room for upgrades later on? I really don't need it to be whisper quiet, just reasonably quiet so that I can't hear it while gaming with headphones. And as far as modular vs non-modular, this case has some room in the front for the extra cables that are un-needed.

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Anything cheaper? Just upgraded this PC so my budget isn't very large. Maybe below $50? I just need something around 5-600 watts and does not sound like a jet engine (doesn't have to be whisper quiet).

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
The PSU is the most important piece of hardware , it protects and runs your setup. Below $50.00 options are pieces of junk and could take out your build. I wouldn't go any cheaper or less power than this.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $69.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 12:41 EST-0500
Ok, thank you!

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Then why do so many people recommend them? I have read lots of reviews of Corsair CX PSU breaking. Do your recommendation Corsairs VS series (VS550 for $54)? They aren't modular, and are 80+ White, but are cheaper. I don't care much about modular, although it's nice.

DSzymborski

Titan
Then why do so many people recommend them? I have read lots of reviews of Corsair CX PSU breaking. Do your recommendation Corsairs VS series (VS550 for $54)? They aren't modular, and are 80+ White, but are cheaper. I don't care much about modular, although it's nice.

Because consumers aren't equipped to review or recommend power supplies without proper equipment. Consumer reviews for power supplies are absolutely worthless without a test setup, which costs thousands of dollars. The only thing a consumer can do is determine dead or not dead. Imagine a cardiologist who could only identify heart problems based on whether you're dead or not.

I guarantee you, not a single one of those Amazon "reviews" included a load test, with the voltage regulation and rippled measured. None of them did a crossload test. None of them looked at the internal configuration or the brand/specs of the capacitors. None of them checked the soldering wasn't sloppily done. None of them tested the OCP or OPP or other various protections.

The PSUs you were recommended are the cheapest ones worth buying to anyone with experience with PC builds and PC troubleshooting. You're presumably an adult, of course, and are free to risk your gear, but nobody here's going to give their personal go-ahead on these. Lots of drunk drivers get home safely, after all, and in this case, you're only risking your PC, not the lives of others.

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
Because consumers aren't equipped to review or recommend power supplies without proper equipment. Consumer reviews for power supplies are absolutely worthless without a test setup, which costs thousands of dollars. The only thing a consumer can do is determine dead or not dead. Imagine a cardiologist who could only identify heart problems based on whether you're dead or not.

I guarantee you, not a single one of those Amazon "reviews" included a load test, with the voltage regulation and rippled measured. None of them did a crossload test. None of them looked at the internal configuration or the brand/specs of the capacitors. None of them checked the soldering wasn't sloppily done. None of them tested the OCP or OPP or other various protections.

The PSUs you were recommended are the cheapest ones worth buying to anyone with experience with PC builds and PC troubleshooting. You're presumably an adult, of course, and are free to risk your gear, but nobody here's going to give their personal go-ahead on these. Lots of drunk drivers get home safely, after all, and in this case, you're only risking your PC, not the lives of others.
Thank you for the explaination. So should I get a Corsair VS, CX, or CXM? I'll probably get either 550W or 650W, which should be plenty for this PC, and for an upgrade.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thank you for the explaination. So should I get a Corsair VS, CX, or CXM? I'll probably get either 550W or 650W, which should be plenty for this PC, and for an upgrade.

The CXs are actually slightly better, but you don't get modular. Depends what your priorities are. The newer VS are better than the old line by a good margin, but I still wouldn't prefer those with a power-hungry GPU.

josephdfarkas

Prominent
Nov 19, 2018
The 650CX is semi-modular (for some reason the non-modular is $11 more). I am running this system: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9kwn6R, and I will probably upgrade next year to a Ryzen, although that should actually use less power than this. My i7 920 is overclocked with a be Quiet Pure Rock to 4Ghz, but my current PSU is holding up, so I think it shouldn't be a problem with a new PSU around 550-650W. And my RX570 isn't exactly a power-hungry GPU.