Nokia 6200 as modem

Today's attempted install of Nokia PC Suite 6.2 gave an Internal Error.
But the DKU5 install had put in a virtual port COM10 for the phone, and an
attempt with Smith-Micro's modem software on the GPRS number seemed to
connect, then quit. So I went to try good old local-dial-up AOL, only to
find that AOL won't allow a COM port higher than 9. Going to Advanced
settings in the hope of changing the COM port from 10 down to a reasonable
number, I see that my (XP) computer now has COM ports 1,3-10 all "in use".
I suspect earlier attempts to use PC Suite 5.12's Connection Manager had
locked off successive COM ports. Any suggestions on how to mark them as
not-in-use?
Has anyone actually made the 6200 work as a general use modem, either
with Cingular Wireless Internet, or Cingular Wireless Internet Express?
It appears to me that these are Cingular's terms for CSD and GPRS(/EDGE)
Data Connect, and WAP is a protocol for sending web pages over one or
the other of these. Is that right?
Sorry if this is a little confused. I've just spent 5 hours installing,
uninstalling, downloading, rebooting, Add Hardware, Remove Program,
restore settings, etc. and it probably shows.

DC

I use my 6200 as a modem with the Media Works package. I use the IR
connection, have not seen the need to buy a cable.
Speeds are okay, about dial-up speed.