Nokia Announces $20 Phone, Battery Lasts One Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like my old phones that I use to absolutely love! Those old Nokia Bricks were the perfect simple phone. If I am ever not able to have my smart phone then I will be all over this. And a 1 month battery life!?! That is ridiculous! I remember being so happy because my old phone consistently got 1 week of battery out of it. Going 4+ weeks of use would be wonderful. This is where having some sort of passive charging would come in handy. Slap a solar panel on the back of it and let it sit in the sun for one day a month and you would never run out of juice.

G

I will admit I still use an ancient Nokia phone that has similar features and whose battery can live forever tucked in the door pocket of my truck. If they start selling them here, I might be moved to upgrade my 15 year old phone.

ajrm

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
There are so many $20 Nokia phones with similar features,, not sure why this is News. , Also you cannot call it a $20 Dollar phone when exchange rates are not the same in all the countries it is available in.

G

Does it make phonecalls, halcyon? If so, then it's as capable as I would expect a $20 phone to be. If I want a miniature PC in my pocket, I'll get an expensive smartphone and live with ~1-2 days of battery. If I need a reliable, portable phone, I'll get this. Don't be a smartass.

senkyen

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
http://www.nokia.com/global/products/phone/105/specifications/

epic specifications :)
the 384 kB of RAM and 8 MB of storage made me smile, and yet this is enough for the functionality that 90% of the population need in both the countries this phone is aimed to and i would dare to say even in the "western world".

ps. you can even play Snake on it!

L0tus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I'm in telecommunications and this phone is definitely going to switch things up at the lower end. China's ZTE is producing $8 phones in some emerging markets but they are generally VERY basic lack many functions. Some here will see this as a very entry level-esque phone but there are markets out there where such phones are considered mid/high-end. I hope Nokia does well. Always been a fan.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Are you implying there's something wrong with WP8?
Back on topic though, I'm going to get one of these to use as a backup phone :p and the nostalgia of owning a 3310. :D

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]senkyen[/nom]http://www.nokia.com/global/produc [...] fications/epic specifications the 384 kB of RAM and 8 MB of storage made me smile, and yet this is enough for the functionality that 90% of the population need in both the countries this phone is aimed to and i would dare to say even in the "western world".ps. you can even play Snake on it![/citation]
Sounds like a 90's PC.

OH NOES PCS ARE DEAD PHONES MOAR POWERFULLNESS

tomaz99

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
[citation][nom]The Scion of Balance[/nom]While other phones cost more than $200 but with battery life less than 2 days. Ah, the irony...[/citation]

Irony?

It's like saying...A Bugatti gets 10 mpg combined...a KIA gets xxx mpg...ahh the irony. I guess so :)

Given the choice I'll go for the Bugatti :)

Wish these became more widely available in the US. Still willing to pay a little over MSRP to have one shipped here in the event I travel overseas.

I hope the 301 can be unlocked easily, since its quad band radio could potentially work in the US.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
This is awesome, especially for people who need their phone in their pocket while at work, but they are afraid to break it, so they leave it elsewhere.
If i keep my Galaxy S3 in my pocket while i'm working, i'll break it in minutes.
But if i break this nokia, who cares, is 20 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS