Nokia Back In The Smartphone Game, Lack Of VR Plans Problematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I'm not sure if I would call their lack of VR plans problematic.

That depends on how popular phone-based VR becomes. If a lot of people get into the habit of hanging out with their friends in phone-based VR, the lack of a VR solution will hurt sales.

I'm confident that VR is now good enough that it won't just be a fad this time, but I have no idea if it will be mainstream enough that it's a got-to-have checkbox for phones.

Sowel Hung

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
What the market lacks is not a phone that does VR. It is a VR headset that can be a phone. By that I mean a phone that is a VR device first and foremost, and phone capabilities as 2nd priority.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think smart phone based VR right now is retarded. I wouldn't invest in it either. A smart phone simply can't output adequate frame rates. I think they should bring out both an Android and Windows based phone. It really doesn't make sense to ignore Windows Mobile right now when its such a powerful productivity tool compared to other OSes.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
It's not a return of Nokia. HMD and FIH (subsidiary of Foxconn) simply bought the brand name. It's nothing more than another Chinese manufacturer that makes phones... no relation to the actual Nokia brand or company...

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
It's not a return of Nokia. HMD and FIH (subsidiary of Foxconn) simply bought the brand name. It's nothing more than another Chinese manufacturer that makes phones... no relation to the actual Nokia brand or company...

Except the tech and designs (and brand) are licensed from the actual Nokia, and HMD is Finnish and has many former "Nokians" working there, and has Nokia on the board of directors.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, actually Nokia is not making back, the Name is and only in low end phones at this moment, so when VR is not a low end product, we don't miss anything.
The Nokia sold the Nokia name to another company for mobile business...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I was going to say the same thing. Lol. :lol:

My point (which I already made at length in the article and will reiterate here, in brief) is that it's no longer enough to just make a good Android phone. You have to bring value in different ways, or else you're just noise. Right now, on Android, the main way to do that is by tapping into VR. And Google just made it *really* easy for OEMs to bring VR to the handsets they sell.

So now, it's not just smartphones themselves that are a commodity, but VR-enabled smartphones, too! And Nokia, by missing out on that wave, is probably going to struggle to get people to buy their new phones.

While I can agree with that, adding value in different ways shouldnt mean do the thing everyone else is doing either.
Too many manufacturers have a lack of battery/expandable storage options available already.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Well put.

But I don't think they have a different plan, either.

g-unit1111

Titan

Honestly I'd rather see manufacturers invest more in storage technologies and displays. I would think that would be a better investment than VR would. I've had too many phones run out of storage too quickly. Micro SDs are always nice but really phones should be able to hold terabytes by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.