Nokia: Camera, Wireless Charging Key to Lumia 920 Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
while wireless charging is a nice perk (I mean... wireless cloud data transfers + wireless charging... pretty much never have to soil the phone with a cable), it is not the reason most people will buy it. It will be bought because it looks awesome, has a nearly complete package (minus 1 point for lack of SD card support), gets acceptable battery life, has an OS that people want, and because people WANT Nokia to succeed.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]There has to be an Apple news here somewhere...Its a post by Zak Islam after all.[/citation]
Yes.. we get it.. Zak posts mostly Apple "news"..
Just get over it already.. Find something new and useful/helpful to say please..
Don't proudly advertise your single minded existence by ragging on the guy even when he posts on other brands.. That makes you MUCH WORSE than the guy you are critiquing!

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
what is the point for wireless charging, how is its working distance? if i am not wrong, the phone have to placed on the charging pad, there is no difference from simply connecting a cord

Imaging, wireless charging, screen, location and music.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]f0xnewz[/nom]I have another Key to Lumia 920 Success. Verizon. - Dicks.[/citation]

Maybe in the USA, but most countries don't even use that bandwidth. Just saying there are a lot more people in the rest of the world.

I just want to get an unlocked version of it.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]while wireless charging is a nice perk (I mean... wireless cloud data transfers + wireless charging... pretty much never have to soil the phone with a cable), it is not the reason most people will buy it. It will be bought because it looks awesome, has a nearly complete package (minus 1 point for lack of SD card support), gets acceptable battery life, has an OS that people want, and because people WANT Nokia to succeed.[/citation]

I very much agree here.

Microsoft and Nokia (and HTC for that matter) need to produce the best hardware they can. They need bleeding edge phones, need to lead in this area, not follow. I firmly believe (while not ignoring that Android is better than iOS and there are many people who refuse to buy Apple no matter how good the product is) that one of Windows phones' biggest problems in getting people to buy them is that the phones haven't stood out, they haven't been something to go "Wow!" over.

I think the Nokia 920 is a very good step in that direction, and clearly will beat out the best of other phones in at least the camera area. That being said, personally I would like more of a Note II style phone, and I think Win 8 is more of a full-featured phone OS and can take better advantage of the Note's capabilities than Android.

Haven't entirely made up my mind about getting a 920, it's possible I'll wait and see what comes on down the road, but it's one sweet phone (my friend in the cell phone business uses a Win phone and tells me it's the one to get, of all the phones, not just Windows phones).

Who carries it might make a difference, too. I prefer Verizon, and really am at a loss as to why they don't carry more than one middle-of-the-road HTC right now. Hopefully that also will change.

;)

robmif76

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
Have been waiting for this phone for ages mainly for the camera and to move onto WP8 as iOS has grown old on me. I also fancy Nokia getting in amongst the big boys again. However, Nokia decided to muddle things up completely by giving phone exclusivity to EE.

Thanks but no thanks.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
No mention of Windows Phone OS as one of the differentiating ingredient? The OS, software and UI better be good for users to have a better experience using the hardware features.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
What is the point of wireless charging?

and isnt it a minus? I must take the Wireless charger with me instead of just tiny power supply?

plus, how come Lumia 920 is selling for around 600$ ? while the hardware is not worth that much? Look at the Google nexus 4 and compare it to the Lumia please ?

and where is the missing SD card ? and you add it to lower lumia 820 ??!?!?

what kind of game is this ? playing with our nerves like that?

Lumia 920 should have at least 4 cores S4 cpu OR A15 CPU, Adreno 350 GPU , 2 G of Ram , and SD card slot to justify the price today ....

The Samsung Ativ s has the SD card but sadly no LTE .. no one is offering a real windows flagship phone SADLY.

grantwar

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
@SNA, I think you might be missing the point with what mobile devices like these high end smartphones is about.

Its NOT about the hardware, it IS about the user experience. If the device runs smooth on the hardware inside it, why is there any need for anything better, especially with taking into consideration that higher spec hardware eats more battery power? You can put a damn hexcore APU (assuming it existed) into a smartphone and it wouldn't make one damn difference to the fluidity of the OS on the device in these windows phone 8 devices. Thats the beauty of it.

I do agree on the SD card slot, however they do provide you with a skydrive account and its plenty big enough for most things, especially if you have access to a 4G network like I do :D

The reason I'd go for this phone is the differentiating factors from you're run of the mill grey slab's such as your iphone and galaxies. Best turn by turn navigation, best still and video camera combo relative to its competitors, great screen, and personally I think it looks better than anything else currently available on the market. And a big + in my opinion is the new OS. I've played with it, and moving over from apple, I must say its far superior, though there is a slight learning curve when you initially start using it.

Damn I sound like a windows phone fan! (soon to be ex iPhone user and android user)

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]sna[/nom]What is the point of wireless charging? and isnt it a minus? I must take the Wireless charger with me instead of just tiny power supply?plus, how come Lumia 920 is selling for around 600$ ? while the hardware is not worth that much? Look at the Google nexus 4 and compare it to the Lumia please ?and where is the missing SD card ? and you add it to lower lumia 820 ??!?!?what kind of game is this ? playing with our nerves like that?Lumia 920 should have at least 4 cores S4 cpu OR A15 CPU, Adreno 350 GPU , 2 G of Ram , and SD card slot to justify the price today ....The Samsung Ativ s has the SD card but sadly no LTE .. no one is offering a real windows flagship phone SADLY.[/citation]

1. The point of wireless charging is ease of use.
2. normal micro-usb chargers still work
3. there is more hw in L920 than in N4, Nokia makes money from hw(which is arguably better optimized in WP) + sw, Google makes money by selling your personal info and are selling the N4 at or below cost, it is up to you to decide which one to go for
4. most sold phones are 16GB, and according to research, most don't use microSD, Nokia compromised at 32GB, although microSD would have been nice
5. WP8 is not optimized for 4-cores yet, + pretty sure it is exclusive to LG atm, as they ramp up production, personally I'd prefer 2-core + adreno 320 for efficiency, I'd also argue that most people don't use more than 1GB of RAM ( especially on WP ), and RAM takes huge chunks of idle power.

ronindaosohei

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Wireless charging would be really cool...if the phone didn't still need to be sitting on the charger. The cool thing will be when I can have my device charging wirelessly from any place in the room, that will be awesome.

As for the keyboards, the Windows Phone keyboard might be better than stock Android, but the 3rd party Android keyboards out there are by far the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.