Nokia Could Announce WP8 Phones as Early as September

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]nokia lumina owner must love how they are not going to be able to get this upgrade. another fail by MS and by nokia for sticking with windows phone[/citation]

Android 2.3 owner must love how they are not going to be able to get...
Every phone owner is in situation where it is possible that you don't get upgrades. We allready know that old 7.5 devices are too weak for 8 and that there will be upgrade to 7.5 to 7.8...
How many android owners can say that they will get upgrade from 2.3 to 2.x ??? Not so many.
If you want constant upgrades you have to buy new phones... It is the same in all groups: win, android and iOS. There will be some upgrades in all of those, but one day your phone will be too old for upgrades... period.
Maybe the situation change when the development in phones start to slow down, but not untill then.

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Adroid 2.3 owner must love how they are bot going to be able to get...Every phone owner is in situation where it is possible that you dpn't get upgrades. Wel allready know that old 7.5 devices are too weak for 8 and that there will be upgrade to 7.5 to 7.8...How many andoid owners can say that they will get upgrade from 2.3 to 2.x ??? Not so many.If you want constant upgrades you have to buy new phones... It is the same in all croups win, android iOS. There will be some upgrades in all of those, but one day your phone will be too old for upgrades... period.Maybe the situation change when the development in phones start to slow down, but not ultill then.[/citation]

at least droid phones have the ability to root them and upgrade the phones themselves. I never even rooted my nexus S and i am already running android 4.1

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Got a Lumia 900 after my last iPhone and I bloody love it. 7.8 will last me for a while until WP8. I'll leave WP8 alone for a year until WP8.x comes out with some fixes :)

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I'll also back up hannibal's comment and say that Apple were far more restraining with the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S which saw the introduction of SIRI among other things for example but is not available for the iPhone 4.

Seriously looking forward to see what Nokia and Samsung and possibly HTC release for WP8 over the next few months as I intend to replace my ageing phone around Christmas.

hannibal

Distinguished

May be wise! A new platform generally have some rough spots untill some upgrades comes out!

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Don't freak out too much over the WP8 no-upgrade. If you really needed the enterprise features, then you probably wouldn't have bought the phone. Most of the upgrades are for hardware that you don't have, anyway (except for the first gen Samsung focus, which has a micro-SD slot, which I am using). From what I understand as a developer, apps written for WP8 will work on WP7.5/8 unless they make use of something that 7.5/8 doesn't have (such as encryption)

[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Adroid 2.3 owner must love how they are bot going to be able to get...Every phone owner is in situation where it is possible that you dpn't get upgrades. Wel allready know that old 7.5 devices are too weak for 8 and that there will be upgrade to 7.5 to 7.8...How many andoid owners can say that they will get upgrade from 2.3 to 2.x ??? Not so many.If you want constant upgrades you have to buy new phones... It is the same in all croups win, android iOS. There will be some upgrades in all of those, but one day your phone will be too old for upgrades... period.Maybe the situation change when the development in phones start to slow down, but not ultill then.[/citation]
There is NO Android 2.x
Android 2.3 was the last Android 2.something released. It came in minor flavors, mostly fixes, up to 2.3.7, but that is still 2.3. Just like WP has 7.5 and then will (probably) have 7.8.
Just FYI, you picked the wrong example here.

hackholm

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]Nokia its not too late release an android phone show them how its done[/citation]

Why would they do that? Android would be a step backward from WP 7.5 and a big step backward now with WP 8.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Will it support flash? Cause i have WP7.5 and i cant watch the Mex Vs Jap Olympic game right now!!!!! or any games live cause of lack of flash support!

grimworld

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]at least droid phones have the ability to root them and upgrade the phones themselves. I never even rooted my nexus S and i am already running android 4.1[/citation]

My wife wanted a white Android based phone so I gave her LG Optimus Black (white one). I had read a note from LG saying that phone would get ICS eventually. Now LG has backed down from those plans and since AOKP community only works on official releases. LG Optimus Black will have to stick with 2.3.4

It isn´t just Nokia and Windows Phone 7.5 not getting 8, it´s Android all over the place also.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]nokia lumina owner must love how they are not going to be able to get this upgrade. another fail by MS and by nokia for sticking with windows phone[/citation]
I have heard this criticism for a long time now of MS by people. Well, being an Android owner for 9 months, guess what, Android is no different.

Many phones perfectly capable of running ICS will never get it. Some phones which were promised to have ICS aren't getting it either. So I really don't see any difference.

The only smartphone that gets constant upgrades of the OS is the iPhone with iOS because theres only one set of hardware. I suppose that's one of the few advantages of having a closed archeticture. I sort of wish Nokia was the only OEM MS was using for Windows Phone 8 so they could take a similar approach as Apple and see how well they do.

But let's hope MS has made a good smart phone OS AND most importantly incentivizes the development community to make some wide range of good apps to support it. If so, will be nice to get some good competition into the market.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]at least droid phones have the ability to root them and upgrade the phones themselves. I never even rooted my nexus S and i am already running android 4.1[/citation]
Yeah but that's counting on an unofficial OS mod that will not get you technical support from the carrier. So you're comparison is worse than apples and oranges.

It's one of the reasons I haven't put an ICS leak on my Bionic.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]Nokia its not too late release an android phone show them how its done[/citation]
Yes, just what the market needs, yet another Android based phone getting lost among the myriad others and still having only 2 main OS's for smartphones.

No, Android needs the competition as much as Apple. I have owned a Droid Bionic since November and I can tell you, while Android has some nice things going for it, it still needs a lot of work done to it and Android needs something to shake it up as much as Apple did.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]I'll also back up hannibal's comment and say that Apple were far more restraining with the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S which saw the introduction of SIRI among other things for example but is not available for the iPhone 4.Seriously looking forward to see what Nokia and Samsung and possibly HTC release for WP8 over the next few months as I intend to replace my ageing phone around Christmas.[/citation]
I wouldn't say that was far more restraining. iPhone 4, as well as 3, got iOS 5, and will get iOS 6.

Rather had to say one feature not available is more restraining than not getting an entire new OS. Are you saying it would have been less restraining not to get any of iOS 5 at all?

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]Will it support flash? Cause i have WP7.5 and i cant watch the Mex Vs Jap Olympic game right now!!!!! or any games live cause of lack of flash support![/citation]
Well, Android soon won't have Flash either, and I don't believe iOS does.

I hope it does it have it as well, but will be hard to have that as a criticism when at least one of the main phone OS's won't have it soon as well.

jakes69

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I wouldn't say that was far more restraining. iPhone 4, as well as 3, got iOS 5, and will get iOS 6.Rather had to say one feature not available is more restraining than not getting an entire new OS. Are you saying it would have been less restraining not to get any of iOS 5 at all?[/citation]

Getting the latest iOS is one thing but running it smoothly is another. My wife got an iPhone 4 and when I updated it to iOS 5...it constantly lags and freezes.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
For those of you who say "but Android X can't be upgraded to Android Y", the really bad thing with the Lumia 600-900 is that it was promised that the devices would be upgradeable to WP8, but around the Barcelona mobile show, microsoft quietly said that the Lumia phones wouldn't be upgradable, for some reason it took around 4 months before we saw something more about it in the news.

A big draw back with the WP is that it lacks many of the features which Symbian cellphones has been

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I know a few people with the iPhone 4 and it doesn't lag for them. I even have the iPod Touch with the same A4 CPU and it has only half the RAM as an iPhone 4 and it doesn't lag and it's essentially the same as an iPhone without the phone radio. So it seems it may be an issue with that particular phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS