Nokia Could Announce WP8 Phones as Early as September

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]For those of you who say "but Android X can't be upgraded to Android Y", the really bad thing with the Lumia 600-900 is that it was promised that the devices would be upgradeable to WP8, but around the Barcelona mobile show, microsoft quietly said that the Lumia phones wouldn't be upgradable, for some reason it took around 4 months before we saw something more about it in the news.A big draw back with the WP is that it lacks many of the features which Symbian cellphones has been[/citation]
Which is absolutely no different that the Android phones.

Several phones are "promised" by carriers to get upgrades to ICS, or even JB, and the carrier and OEM never allow it. Go to the Phandroid forums, it's not a rare complaint by any means.

I'm not saying if they did indeed promise and went back on it that it's ok, I am merely saying don't bash only MS for the practice since it's common in the Android community as well.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Older Android versions can be rooted and a newer version installed, OK not very official or helpful to the non-technical but at least it is possible
WP7 on the other hand - oh, hang on, bad comparison seeing as WP8 isn't even out yet
I give it a week from release and some bright spark (probably on XDA-developers) roots a WP7 handset and puts WP8 on it
Then the Android fans will say "but it will run slow on the old hardware", like Jellybean doesn't run like a POS if rooted onto old Android handsets
http://my2cents4theday.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/ice-cream-sandwich-oldest-android-phone.html
Let's see how WP8 runs on a rooted WP7 handset then we can put this pointless arguement to bed

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]These can't come out soon enough, and I hope there's CDMA (specifically VZW) models included in somebody's launch. I would love to have a comparable phone/UI/XI to the next iPhone.[/citation]
CDMA is 3G. Considering that all carriers have 4G now, I can't see making a 3G only Win8 phone. Verizon's 4G is LTE.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I have heard this criticism for a long time now of MS by people. Well, being an Android owner for 9 months, guess what, Android is no different.Many phones perfectly capable of running ICS will never get it. Some phones which were promised to have ICS aren't getting it either. So I really don't see any difference.The only smartphone that gets constant upgrades of the OS is the iPhone with iOS because theres only one set of hardware. I suppose that's one of the few advantages of having a closed archeticture. I sort of wish Nokia was the only OEM MS was using for Windows Phone 8 so they could take a similar approach as Apple and see how well they do.But let's hope MS has made a good smart phone OS AND most importantly incentivizes the development community to make some wide range of good apps to support it. If so, will be nice to get some good competition into the market.[/citation]

The difference with Android and WP phones....WP 7.x is like the first gen Iphone....with so many limitations....my friend dump the WP phone after a few months.....so many things can't be done...as basic as sending a contact no (old Nokia phones 10 years ago probably can do)...no she is so happy with her Galaxy Note.

AFAIK, Android doesn't really need an upgrade...all the mission critical features are already there since 2.3 (Gingerbread). My S2 upgraded to ICS...seriously, no big deal...to me it's just the same with some nice to have features....Windows Phone currently....need mission critical changes. I am perfectly happy with my S2. ICS features are not important at all. But it does makes my S2 very stable ( i don't remember it hang even once since the upgrade).

monktongaz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]The difference with Android and WP phones....WP 7.x is like the first gen Iphone....with so many limitations.... (etc)[/citation]

Rubbish. Anyone comparing Mango to the first gen iPhone clearly hasn't had either.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]The difference with Android and WP phones....WP 7.x is like the first gen Iphone....with so many limitations....my friend dump the WP phone after a few months.....so many things can't be done...as basic as sending a contact no (old Nokia phones 10 years ago probably can do)...no she is so happy with her Galaxy Note.AFAIK, Android doesn't really need an upgrade...all the mission critical features are already there since 2.3 (Gingerbread). My S2 upgraded to ICS...seriously, no big deal...to me it's just the same with some nice to have features....Windows Phone currently....need mission critical changes. I am perfectly happy with my S2. ICS features are not important at all. But it does makes my S2 very stable ( i don't remember it hang even once since the upgrade).[/citation]
I would suggest you head over to the Phandroid, or any Android, forums and read up some.

Many of the Android savvy people there do not see ICS as purely optional as you make it seem. GB can not make use of dual core CPU's so all those with GB on their shiny new phones don't get the best experience they can, not to mention some ICS only apps are starting their way to the marketplace. Almost everyone as well who has installed the ICS build leaks for phones get ecstatic over the performance gains.

So you can brush it aside, but it is still the same thing. Some carriers and OEM's of Android phones not updating phone's for more than 1 or 2 revisions, if that, and then stopping support of the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.