Nokia Discontinues Symbian, Once a Leading Smartphone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

machvelocy

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
A bit of sad farewell, Symbian belle is not that bad for a mobile OS, I had one (Nokia 701) before I switch to a htc one last year, the UI are smooth and quite polished, however apps loading are indeed slow (relative to iOS and android), and lacks of it in their marketplace.

G

To be more correct, they will not be releasing another symbian^3 powered phone. However, they are still officially supporting and develping the OS until at least 2016.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
At least it went out with a bang. Pure View is the greatest Symbian phone ever made, and Nokia Belle 2, as an OS, is all a phone really needs. If all you want is just phone with some tricks.

G

Correction: Symbian was a joint venture between Psion and Motorola, Nokia and Ericsson.

Sony Ericsson did not exist in 1998, it was formed in 2001 as a joint venture between Sony and the Swedish telecommunications equipment company Ericsson.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
One of the best phones i ever had was a Nokia N73, with Symbian of course. It never failed me.

Symbian was good, but it's time to move on.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]Funny thing is that during X-Mas sales Nokia Symbian Smartphones outsold the Lumia phones 2 to 1.[/citation]
Lumia has some massive marketing/advertisement and that's the reason for the sale numbers. Symbian phones on the other hand had their prices cut.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I still miss its progenitor, Psion with the EPOC OS. Was far ahead of its time and then it all went downhill. Still rocking my Series 5 MX though.

Status
Not open for further replies.