Nokia Drops Out of Top 5 Smartphone Companies Rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nokia is taking a gamble with their support of Windows Phone. I like that, however I do hope it pays off for them, because competition is always good for us consumers!

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]It's like watching a train wreck. Any bets as to when M$ buys them to save WP8?[/citation]
M$ will not gain anything from buying Nokia, as M$ already have access to all they need and can use Nokia patents without anyone can sue them and the only one really gaining something would be Samsung, as then Apple would need to pay them a patent fee.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... because they didn't put the smart in to smartphone... nokia's idea of 'smart' waz too complicate for average user...[/citation]
I think the most important for Nokia is that their plan B will be fast to execute as I don't see that resellers are happy with MS, operators ain't happy with MS and it seems end customers ain't looking for MS in their phone as they do for their desktops.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
still can't figure out what's nokia thinking, go for windows mobile, but not for android ? :| if i'm not mistaken they want to differentiate their product to others, and windows mobile is the answer ? :| nokia is committing suicide :D

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]What Nokia gets for going the way of Windows Phone instead of Android.[/citation]+1, they would have much better now if they have adopt Android early.

G

"Nokia's share losses have meant gains for competitors," said Kevin Restivo

wow, this guy is a genius! Reminds me of Dan Quayle with "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." hahaha

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Arandur[/nom]"Nokia's share losses have meant gains for competitors," said Kevin Restivowow, this guy is a genius! Reminds me of Dan Quayle with "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure." hahaha[/citation]
if we define success as going up and failure as going down, relative to some reference point, then not succeeding does not necessarily mean failure if we still maintain our reference point status. So i wouldn't discount DQ as totally an airball.

Nokia's decision to have an exclusivity contract for their phones with AT&T could be the final nail in their coffin. I mean, when you're hanging by a thread, you don't want your devices to be sold only by one carrier, you want them across the board.

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Nokia's problem started long before they decided to switch to windows phone by that time Samsung was already king of android and HTC was still pretty high up there. Nokia would have gone bankrupt much faster if they went to android one of the reasons they are still afloat is because Microsoft paid them that money to go to windows phone.

Look at whats happening to HTC i personally think HTC makes great quality phones i like the feel of them more than Samsungs and they perform similarly but yet HTC while still profitable no longer as much as they were its shaping up to be iOS is iPhone android is Samsung and windows phone is Nokia(the htc 8x is terrible compared to 920) lets wait and see how windows phone does before we say if Nokia fails or not.

On a similar note china mobile picked up the 920 and apparently its looking like its going to be very successful over there i don't know much about the Chinese market but i do know that 600 million subscribers is nothing to scoff at and the only windows phone i know of that will be on china mobile is the 920 and probably 820 so just 5 percent of china mobile trying windows phone would be 30 million+ people

Also nokia has a ton of patents that other companies use even if Nokia stops making phones they will be far from broke still.

tl;dr Nokia on android would have been bankrupt faster wait and see how the 920 does on china mobile before judging whats in store for Nokia's future

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]M$ will not gain anything from buying Nokia, as M$ already have access to all they need and can use Nokia patents without anyone can sue them and the only one really gaining something would be Samsung, as then Apple would need to pay them a patent fee.[/citation]

MS wouldn't gain a lot in terms of patents, but it would gain a lot in terms of manufacturing capability and know how and a knowledge of the cell phone business. Since MS is starting to build its own tablets, it would make sense to buy a company to make phones instead of going out and trying to start it from scratch.

We will see what happens. I'm not writing Nokia off yet though. As others have noted, the future of Nokia has a lot to do with the future of Win 8.

Hopefully Nokia starts to produce a Win 8 phone with Intel insides and an x86 architecture. That would be something that I would buy.

Tatts

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Nokia's decision to have an exclusivity contract for their phones with AT&T could be the final nail in their coffin. I mean, when you're hanging by a thread, you don't want your devices to be sold only by one carrier, you want them across the board.[/citation]

That's a very narrow, America-centric view. The US is a small part of the world market, and you have completely ignored that.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
My humble $.01 -
My first cell phone was a Nokia XXXX, back in 1996. Then I had 2 more Nokia phones until 2001 when I got a Sony Ericsson. It was my first cell with a color screen. I replaced it with another Nokia then followed by a Sony. In 2005, I got a Blackberry 7300, replaced by two more Blackberries until an iPhone 3GS in 2009, then-> 4 -> 4S
Sum -
4 Nokia's
2 Sony's
3 Blackberries
3 iPhones
Nokia's - always were falling apart after about 11 months and were taped by a Scotch tape; horrible software update experience. Confusing alpha numerical naming was hard to remember.
Sony - worked like a charm but nothing special
Blackberries - were excellent for the time but poor web browsing and app experience
iPhones - amazing user experience for web browsing and apps but "walled garden" ecosystem.

IMO - Nokia missed the boat with web browsing/apps and had horrible hardware durability/longevity and model name recognition.

-IvanTO

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]My humble $.01 - My first cell phone was a Nokia XXXX, back in 1996. Then I had 2 more Nokia phones until 2001 when I got a Sony Ericsson. It was my first cell with a color screen. I replaced it with another Nokia then followed by a Sony. In 2005, I got a Blackberry 7300, replaced by two more Blackberries until an iPhone 3GS in 2009, then-> 4 -> 4SSum -4 Nokia's2 Sony's 3 Blackberries3 iPhonesNokia's - always were falling apart after about 11 months and were taped by a Scotch tape; horrible software update experience. Confusing alpha numerical naming was hard to remember.Sony - worked like a charm but nothing specialBlackberries - were excellent for the time but poor web browsing and app experience iPhones - amazing user experience for web browsing and apps but "walled garden" ecosystem.IMO - Nokia missed the boat with web browsing/apps and had horrible hardware durability/longevity and model name recognition.-IvanTO[/citation]
actually as far as I know, if you handle your phone carefully enough, you will never break it, I know people who have nokias for years and haven't broken, their updates are great, my brother's 5530 still gets updates till now

and I'm sure iPhones have much less durability than nokias

sonys are great too, I'm sure they're better than iphones

BTW nokia's naming scheme isn't hard at all

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]actually as far as I know, if you handle your phone carefully enough, you will never break it, I know people who have nokias for years and haven't broken, their updates are great, my brother's 5530 still gets updates till nowand I'm sure iPhones have much less durability than nokiassonys are great too, I'm sure they're better than iphonesBTW nokia's naming scheme isn't hard at all[/citation]

yes.
I used to drop my phones pretty often and I am more careful these days. When iPhone 4 fell, just once, the back glass panel cracked and had to be replaced for $30, but looked like new. But my user experience with Nokia's is that they were falling apart, some buttons would stop working and batteries would stop charging. Never had problems with Sony Ericsson or BB.

Nokia model names are meaningless. What the difference between these phones?

Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3? pretty easy to spot
iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5? pretty easy to spot
and
Nokia 6300, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N-Gage, QDNokia WILDFIREC ? too confusing
see their line up here
http://www.cellforcash.com/cellular-phone-models/nokia-cellular-phones.asp

-IvanTO

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Just bear in mind that Nokia's sales have been influenced by the fact that WP8 is not entirely backwards compatible and ppl, such as myself, are waiting for the new phones with better screens, nfc, etc. Let's see how they do after WP8 goes on sale

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]yes.I used to drop my phones pretty often and I am more careful these days. When iPhone 4 fell, just once, the back glass panel cracked and had to be replaced for $30, but looked like new. But my user experience with Nokia's is that they were falling apart, some buttons would stop working and batteries would stop charging. Never had problems with Sony Ericsson or BB.Nokia model names are meaningless. What the difference between these phones?Samsung Galaxy S, Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S3? pretty easy to spotiPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5? pretty easy to spotandNokia 6300, Nokia C7-00, Nokia N-Gage, QDNokia WILDFIREC ? too confusing see their line up here http://www.cellforcash.com/cellula [...] phones.asp-IvanTO[/citation]
I guess samsung phones are a lot easier...

http://www.cellforcash.com/cellular-phone-models/samsung-cellular-phones.asp

mavroxur

Distinguished
If Nokia hadn't stuck with crappy Symbian OS for so long and adopted Android, it would have helped. It seems they're in a downward slide, and within a couple years, I predict their mobile phone division hitting bottom and being swallowed up by Samsung.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I just hope nokia win8 phones are good enough to make them a well known option. the lumia line of phones has always been great at launch. the problem is app developement. people dont buy if there arent alot of good apps and support.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]What Nokia gets for going the way of Windows Phone instead of Android.[/citation]

Android will die after Win8 ... just give it a year or so for the apps to appear on large scale ...

I hate android for one thing , system upgrades ... I waited forever to upgrade my phone to 4.1 and still waiting. MS will just auto updates ...

plus the system itself is fast and responsive ....

I think Nokia are on the right track. they gambled enough on symbian .. and androind will follow symbian in no time ...

Status
Not open for further replies.