Nokia EOS Said to be First Windows Phone 8 PureView Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
920 is the first PureView WP -phone. PureView is a brand, not a technology, it just means something new and great camera-wise. The 808 tech is often called PVv1, and the 920 PVv2, to avoid confusion on this matter.

Aatish

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I think its about time that TOM should change the image viewing plugin (or add to current) website. it takes at least 3 clicks to know that the original size was the same as thumbnail size :D

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]rottingsheep[/nom]canon EOS... someone's getting sued.[/citation]

It's a codename dumbass. EOS comes from Greek mythology and means goddess of the dawn. I don't think pesky Canon owns the rights for Greek words and mythology anyhow.

RazorBurn

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
Nokia's 808 Image and Sound Sensor are among the best in the mobile wold..
If this New Nokia EOS has:

808's Image and Sound Sensor.
920's Image Stabilizer and Wireless Charging..
Polycarbonate Casing..
Andriod OS (Im fine with WP8 anyway)
QuadCore Krait..

Im buying even if its $700+..

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]It's a codename dumbass. EOS comes from Greek mythology and means goddess of the dawn. I don't think pesky Canon owns the rights for Greek words and mythology anyhow.[/citation]
before you call someone dumbass you should learn how trademarks work. Canon has a trademark on EOS for the camera space. Phones have cameras, making the "suing" point a legitimate one.

in other words, you're the dumbass

G

Android is becoming a mess with malware, spam, design-and-implementation by committee. Keep it WP8, Nokia.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I just hope they implement the full 808 sensor and sound recording. I dont care about the optical stabilizer to be honest, but if they do implement it, ill pay $1000 for that device.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]It's a codename dumbass. EOS comes from Greek mythology and means goddess of the dawn. I don't think pesky Canon owns the rights for Greek words and mythology anyhow.[/citation]
Eos and EOS are not the same thing, one is a name of a Greek god the other is a trademarked word that is owned by Canon. BTW as far as EOS goes (not the god, see the capital letters?) it stands for Electro-Optical System which is a Canon technology, which means that Canon can sue unless they are working along side Nokia on this.

ramcoza

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Actually you the the dumbass here.

It's clear you have no business sense.
A trademark has nothing to do with a product code name. No one can sue over a codename because a "code name" isn't official.

Some examples for codenames are "Fermi", "Kepler" "Wayne" "South Islands" "Bulldozer" "Steamroller" "WP Mango" "Tango" "Apollo" "Kaveri" etc.,

For example,
"Steamroller" is a registered trademark of Southpaw Enterprises Inc.
"Mango" is a registered trademark of Universal International Music B.V. LIMITED
"Fermi" is a registered trademark of The Relevate Group, Inc.
"Medfield" (An Atom SoC code name) is a registered trademark of Medfield Diagnostics Aktiebolag

[citation][nom]Aatish[/nom]I think its about time that TOM should change the image viewing plugin (or add to current) website. it takes at least 3 clicks to know that the original size was the same as thumbnail size[/citation]
People have been complaining about that for a long time. I honestly believe they don't know how to change it.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
41 Megapixel O.O

Isn't that like billboard resolutions? 2 MP = 1080p yes?

Quality of the lens is far more important to good picture quality than megapixels.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]920 is the first PureView WP -phone. PureView is a brand, not a technology, it just means something new and great camera-wise. The 808 tech is often called PVv1, and the 920 PVv2, to avoid confusion on this matter.[/citation]
exactly what i was going to say. but then, zak also thinks the exynos 5 is the world's first 8-core processor, so god help him.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
We know WP is a lot better than Symbian but MS has to work harder to bring features already avaiable and implemented to the 808 to the new flagship Windows Phones.

I'm not a Symbian supporter for the browser in my 808 often requires a battery pull after opening a couple of javascript/flash intensive tabs but it works great for anything else. MicroSDXC support (up to 64GB), USB on the go, Mass Storage support over USB/bluetooth and FM transmitter are the features I like the most in the platform, besides the camera of course. Also I see reviewers bashing over the screen resolution but it looks rather excellent to me even when watching video (and I must tell the platform has enough juice to play virtually anything but format support is still a hundred miles away from VLC).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Maybe not, but Apple don't own the rights to a fruit that hangs from millions of trees that can make a nice pie, but didn't stop them hitting New York for using an Apple in a "Visit the big apple" ad campaign. Validity of claim has no bearing as long as your lawyers have all the scruples of Johnny Cochran
It looks like EOS and is associated with cameras, it's very easy to put 2 and 2 together on this and get the right answer, one thing you can be sure of is that Canon will already have been talking with Nokia about this

That's not how trademarks work. You can trademark any already known word or name and relate it to a specific type of product. For instance Nissan has a truck called the Titan. No other car can be called the Titan. But if someone wanted to make a large bicycle and call it the Titan, they certainly can trademark it for bikes.

So using a codename EOS in an announcement is actually a form of advertising. Since this phone is touted to have an awsome camera, Canon certainly does have a plausible lawsuit on their hands.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]That's not how trademarks work. You can trademark any already known word or name and relate it to a specific type of product. For instance Nissan has a truck called the Titan. No other car can be called the Titan. But if someone wanted to make a large bicycle and call it the Titan, they certainly can trademark it for bikes. So using a codename EOS in an announcement is actually a form of advertising. Since this phone is touted to have an awsome camera, Canon certainly does have a plausible lawsuit on their hands.[/citation]

Where do you see this announced? Exactly. EOS is, for now, completely internal codename.

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Where do you see this announced? Exactly. EOS is, for now, completely internal codename.[/citation]

What you think these so-called "leaks" are accidental??? All canon has to do is prove the information was leaked intentionally. They can subpeona emails from Nokia as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.