[SOLVED] Nokia G-010G-Q High Ping Problem

Oct 27, 2020
When I send ping request Nokia G-010G-Q ONT device returns 2 ms or higher latency.

I tried different CAT5 cables and reset to factory settings two times but it’s not changed.

Solution
Do you realize how tiny those values are.

It is purely a function of how long the cpu take to do the calculations to respond to the ping. When you are looking at such tiny values using ping is a worthless tool. You can make no assumptions on how many cpu cycles it takes for the cpu to calculate the response to ping compared to the time it takes to actually send and receive data to the internet. It is a different programs and many times the device is optimized to transfer traffic rather than respond to ping.

In many cases value that small are in the margin of error for the tools so you can not assume that they are actual results or just small variations due to the testing method.

In the end it has absolutely no affect on...
Oct 27, 2020
That does not tell me anything. There is a huge difference between a extra 10ms and a extra 100ms
I see <1 ms latency when sent ping request to the router with cable. In the same way, when I sent ping request to the ONT it not returns like router.

While it should be <1ms like a modem, it gives a result of 2ms or more. It seemed strange to me that the delay was this high when connecting to the ONT device via cable.

It is purely a function of how long the cpu take to do the calculations to respond to the ping. When you are looking at such tiny values using ping is a worthless tool. You can make no assumptions on how many cpu cycles it takes for the cpu to calculate the response to ping compared to the time it takes to actually send and receive data to the internet. It is a different programs and many times the device is optimized to transfer traffic rather than respond to ping.

In many cases value that small are in the margin of error for the tools so you can not assume that they are actual results or just small variations due to the testing method.

In the end it has absolutely no affect on your internet performance.

Reactions: Muhteşem Timsah
Solution
Oct 27, 2020

In the end it has absolutely no affect on your internet performance.
Thanks for information.

I know It’s not affect my surfing but I need as low as possible.

Write a new ping program that always tells you the latency to your router is .001ms then you will feel happy. It is a complete waste of time to worry about these things you can not change.

When you consider even the best keyboards take over 10ms to read a keypress things like 1 extra ms to your router is just silly to even think about.

Reactions: Muhteşem Timsah
Oct 27, 2020
Write a new ping program that always tells you the latency to your router is .001ms then you will feel happy. It is a complete waste of time to worry about these things you can not change.

When you consider even the best keyboards take over 10ms to read a keypress things like 1 extra ms to your router is just silly to even think about.
Thanks.

I would ask you to look at my other topic.