Nokia Had a Touchscreen Phone 7 Years Before the iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone and iPad really were only successful because of the timing, don't credit Apple for innovation. All the hand held devices before WiFi and capacitive touch screens were a joke. Most of the devices struggled to interpret touch inputs because they were too slow. Not to mention that wireless carriers has just started to subsidize contract phones. Any other time and the iPhone would have been as much a joke as all of the other failed devices with proprietary, computer tethered content delivery networks.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Most every device that Apple has gotten fame for was developed in a not-so-different form quite some time before Apple made them popular by some other company. I know that Apple has developed--sometimes significant--technologies, but they more market and revolutionize products and devices as opposed to inventing them from scratch. Hell, they straight-up stole quite a few things throughout their lifetime (like most other companies).

I am NOT an Apple lover, but I will honestly credit Apple for revolutionizing the portable media player market. That's the only thing (in my history) where I can see things being crap until they started pushing things. I do believe they've also pushed the phone market similarly (though I think iOS sucks to high-heaven), despite the iPhone being an overrated clump of hardware. Despite computers being their claim to fame, I don't even think they really lent much to improve the computer arena (since they function to isolate themselves and their technologies from everyone else rather than communal sharing/licensing).

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
iPhone and iPad are successful because of the "out of the box" UI design and tightly integrated App store. MS had touch screen phone 10 years ago running Pocket PC, and later Windows Mobile. Unfortunately for Microsoft, the UI that worked so well on desktop just didn't translate to a phone-sized device. iPhone was nothing special. iOS, on the other hand, was revolutionary.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I had a Nokia 7710, their 2004 touch screen phone. Nokia proved with that phone that they weren't capable of keeping up with smartphone technologies. Firstly, the phone was unbearably slow and secondly, they cancelled the variant of Symbian OS that ran on it before the phone actually reached customers so despite advertising third party apps, no one wanted to develop for an OS that would never be used ever again.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]iPhone and iPad are successful because of the "out of the box" UI design and tightly integrated App store. MS had touch screen phone 10 years ago running Pocket PC, and later Windows Mobile. Unfortunately for Microsoft, the UI that worked so well on desktop just didn't translate to a phone-sized device. iPhone was nothing special. iOS, on the other hand, was revolutionary.[/citation]
It was successful because it gave the herd a brand, something which they could point out to their friends and feel cool, superior, edgy. Products released by other companies were never made with that in mind so they never quite reached that potential. The majority of people don't care about the UI or how is it to use it is (it's not), all they care is that by owning something Apple they automatically feel integrated into this group.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]dan4patriots[/nom]nice trollbait article toms[/citation]

Umm, EVERYONE DOES THIS with their new phones. Its not just Apple, hell, I did it with my HTC Touch when I got it. I walked around showing my buds how cool this little phone was, until i broke it purposely because it was slow, unresponsive and couldn't do anything.

You blindly insult iphone folk because YOU have some form of issue deep inside, so what? So what if they like their phone, its easy to use, smooth, can play many games, apps, and does what its supposed to do.. Why is it such a bad thing? Because they're "sheeple"? Anyone who uses a specific brand that YOU disapprove of will be considered sheeple.

If you liked Apple products and saw someone using Android, you'd call them a sheep of google.

You're just the type that acts like a little child and teases the other child because he likes the red sucker instead of the blue sucker.

Grow up child.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]It was successful because it gave the herd a brand, something which they could point out to their friends and feel cool, superior, edgy. Products released by other companies were never made with that in mind so they never quite reached that potential. The majority of people don't care about the UI or how is it to use it is (it's not), all they care is that by owning something Apple they automatically feel integrated into this group.[/citation]

I meant to quote this one, not Dan's.

nuvon

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
"...all they care is that by owning something Apple..." Apple was not a brand name before, so your point is not valid here. They make a name of themselves because of their products. Just like every other brands, there are haters and followers.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Edit^ Archos. I had one early in 2005. I also built one about a year before apple announced the iPad. Although it wasn't nearly as refined as there iPad it sure was pretty. Unfortunately it used a resistive touchscreen and an acquired 11" laptop. I built the case out of thin pieces of exotic birds eye maple and used thin li-PO batteries designed for model rocket launchers. It even ran windows 7. I know I know, Pics or it didn't happen! I wish I still had the build and final pics.

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Look, nobody gave a shit about smartphones or tablets until apple came along and out out their product... If Nokia had developed it, why not market it? Apple is just lucky.... With their timings.....

That beng said, I love my iPad and there is no tablet tha can compete with it....

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Ok . I have all 3 IPads, both galaxy 10.1 tabs, 2 iPhone 3Gs, 1 4g, many different iPods from nano to 3g touch to classic, 1 asus transformer, an Archos 7, a Toshiba thrive, and a Samsung series 7 slate. My favorite is the Toshiba Thrive. Next to that is the series 7 slate. The thrive is a far better machine than the iPad. Yes the iPad has a delicious screen, super thin and slightly faster price processor BUT the thrive makes up for these shortcomings by giving me access to a full size SD card slot(I have a 128GB card installed) it has full sized USB port and full sized hdmi. With root I can connect an external Blu-Ray or DVD drive. I am running Ubuntu on it as well as a custom Android. I can plug up external hdd and USB thumb drives. Then I can swap out batteries if I'm not where I can charge up. On too of all that I'm not restricted and controlled by apple. I can understand why the not so techy folks or the LAZY techy folks like the apple crapple but cmon folks they are to restrictive and cost WAY to much for what they provide. Then there is the business side ....... Arm based tablets are NOT the way to go. You need a slate for that.

boixwunder

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I love my ipod, I will more than likely always have an ipod, but that is where my love for apple ends. The simple UI does not entice me to spend extra money on their products that are not more technologically advanced than a dell laptop that is a thousand dollars less than a macbook pro with similar specs. I understand why millions of people love them, they are simple to use, although, when i say that people think that i am insulting their intelligence. I simply decided to choose a side and i chose PC's.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
[citation][nom]boixwunder[/nom]I love my ipod, I will more than likely always have an ipod, but that is where my love for apple ends. The simple UI does not entice me to spend extra money on their products that are not more technologically advanced than a dell laptop that is a thousand dollars less than a macbook pro with similar specs. I understand why millions of people love them, they are simple to use, although, when i say that people think that i am insulting their intelligence. I simply decided to choose a side and i chose PC's.[/citation]
Crapple fans have insulted their own intelligence by purchasing the over prices piece of technology that most would agree is is less advanced than an HP or dell. The best thing they have going for them is the casings they use for construction.this still shouldn't call for the price tag.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]cybersans[/nom]i am not an ifag or an apple fanboys, but the rule of successful marketing is who sells first, not who develop first.[/citation]
It's not that simple. Slate and Windows phones came way before ipad and iphones, and they were stinkers because the technology wasn't ready. Tech history is littered with devices that were ahead of their times.

Even if Nokia released their touchscreen device early, it might have been clunky and expensive.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
In case YOU guys don't know, the US Govt. granted Apple the patent for the on-screen GUI for a cellphone. Wait... Windows Phone/CE devices many many years ago had on-screen keyboards!

Prior to iPhone/iPad - there were the Palm devices and even the Apple Newton (Canceled by Jobs).

Apple has NO business with such a patent. GUI phone devices were in use many many years before the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.