Nokia Has a Sense of Humor, Claims Its Phones Never Break

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I have a dead N7190... unable to read the SIM. The same SIM works fine in my ancient N2190, slightly less ancient N3390 and my "current" phone - and it also used to work fine with the N7190 until one day where the 7190 spontaneously decided to quit detecting it.

dvo

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
I'm on my second lumia 928 and even it doesn't function properly. gonna be on my 3rd before I know it. the first one was separating itself at one of the seams and made a horrid noise when the phone vibrated. then out of nowhere it stopped connecting to any network. tried various sims. Verizon had to replace it. my current 928 (which doesn't have nick or scratch on it, it looks like it just came out of the box) is beginning to separate again, and from time to time the touchscreen goes completely unresponsive and requires a force reboot.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
It's true, those old Nokia's are practically unbreakable. My dad is still using the same one after about 10 years. He has no intention of getting a newer phone.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
The screens on their lumias are beyond stupid... The screen is the first thing that will hit EVERY time it falls down flat.... I've seen more broken lumias then I've seen anything else...and there aren't a lot of them out there...

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
What, you mean that phones that are half the width and have a screen three times the size are more likely to have a broken screen? That's crazy talk!

strange, I've had my 928 for 4 months and so far no problems.

I still have my first phone in my drawer... A Nokia 5120 (CDMA, not even GSM) with the red plastic cover.

If I turn it on, it can still make phone calls, but since this one was taken off grid, it's dead.

I have been thinking of modding it, but i'm too lazy. I still like it though, haha.

Cheers!

fudoka711

Distinguished
I'm on my 3rd nokia phone now. Had one motorola (cheap one, but still) and it sucked big time.

First nokia was a bar phone. Man that thing was a beast. Dropped that thing so many times and it only ended up with a few scratches. Back would pop off, but it just popped right back on. 2nd nokia was a flip phone. I was very mad one day and ended up throwing it across the room. Hit the wall and just cracked the corner of the screen a little. Talk about being built tough.

3rd nokia is a lumia 920. I've dropped it twice now onto concrete. It's landed on the same corner both times and the plastic is only slightly compressed. No scratches otherwise other than a couple tiny ones on the screen. Don't need no case for that thing. On a side note I should mention the phone still works great =)

I have had several Nokia phones over the years, and while they do break it is very true that you have to try pretty hard (or be extremely careless).
I am currently on a Lumia 920 and I work in a warehouse. I have dropped my phone several times on the concrete floor from pocket height. The only damage the thing has suffered is a little bit of a dint on the bottom center edge. The first 5-6 times that I dropped it I was scared out of my whits that it would be broken. But now a year of abuse later it still looks practically new, and when there is a scuff then you can buff it right out. Polycarb really is the best!

For every rule there is an exception... and unfortunately it would seem that you are the lucky anomoly.
When you get a bad device (especially from Verizon) they will rarely give you a new device. Instead you end up with a refurb which probably had similar issues and was slapped back together. For this issue it does not matter what brand your phone is, if you get a bad one then in all likelihood you will end up with a series of lemons. Most of my friends are on Verizon, and several of them have dealt with this at one time or another. Most of the time they just keep turning the device in until they happen to get a new one, or they renew their contract and get a new device that is really truly new which solves the problem.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I still have one of these old Nokia phones lying around and its basically new, I just got it out of the box to experience the ancientness of the once again haha, still works better than smartphones.

megamanxtreme

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I dropped my 710 lots of times. Currently owning an 810 and I have also dropped it lots of times, it still works great, the corner just has a small dent, but nothing to worry about.

leeashton

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
@gamebrigada i work with broken phones you are dead wrong, in 4 years we have had 6 only Nokias' with broken screens yet we get 6 sammys an hour with broken screen!

Mobile phone companies no longer make phones like that becouse then there would be custoemrs that would NEVER change their phones. Those who only use it as a phone and dont need to have anything else.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, it's still true. My Lumia 620's fallen many times but nothing's really happened to it.

WP8 sucks though, i wish it were running Android 4.x.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Their old phones are certainly tough. Had one that was dropped in a pond, found 3 days later and still worked. Had another one that was ran over with a truck and trailer 3 times and still worked minus the display (still made calls and what not).

Status
Not open for further replies.