Nokia Launches a Mini Laptop: the 3G Booklet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I was excited until I saw the atom, I would have much preferred a arm based netbook running maemo. Also, intel owns the trademark on 'netbook', so if your running an atom its a netbook whether you like it or not, sorry nokia.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds promising, I like the GPS but would have to see how it is integrated. If it well done, I would pay somewhere around $1300.

bono8106

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Sounds awesome and looks very good. I bet AT&T wouldn't want to support this in the U.S. due to their standard "bandwidth constraints" excuse.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Battery life sounds like a positive, otherwise it is a basic netbook. And if you count on 3G access you can buy these things subsidized by the cellphone providers for about $200. If you buy it to be a netbook and you don't care about 3G access, then why would you pay more than what an ASUS 1000HE costs.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
considering it's from Nokia, i'm actually liking it. the build quality will be of UTMOST importance to me...as will that "12 Hour" battery life...

"If so, what kind of price would you pay for this piece of kit?"
I'd say anything between 300-350. if it is anything below that, i'll buy one to replace my Acer Aspire One.

3p0cHx

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
looking for a 10" LCD notebook/netbook w/ windows 7 ultimate touchscreen HDMI+audio out, wifi N + gigabit, GPS, bluetooth for tethering, big solid state hd, blueray, with 8 hr battery life and a media center remote for under $600. Essentially looking for an HTPC that I can attach to a big LCD TV, and grab and mount flat in my car, and then take where-ever as well. Does such a machine exist?

G

If I were in the market for such a device (and I certainly am not), I would pay around $1500 for it. The 12 hour battery doesn't really surprise me that much, as most netbooks claim to do something like 11 hours.

Reasons I wouldn't want to buy this laptop/netbook/booklet: screen too small, cannot run games, little processing power.

Depending on the built quality of this Nokia “mini netbook” or whatever the name will be it should be priced around $600.
I would like to know how they are getting 12 hours of battery on a device with WiFi, 3G wireless and GPS; unless all these devices are turn off.
As of now there are laptops with WiFi, 3G wireless, GPS, more RAM and better CPU that cost between $800 and $1200.

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]$9,768,475,123 and 13 cents...[/citation]

Im hoping this will be my net worth soon.......

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]$9,768,475,123 and 13 cents...[/citation]
for that price, I'll build you one that's 50% better on most specs that won't matter.

Rx__

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Those of us in the "over 50" category don't care about the little computer screens, how thin it is, or the tiny keyboards.
I am saving my money for the bright 24" monitor, the keyboard with a keypad on the side, and the Intel I7 processor with 12 Gig of DDR3 memory. Forget thin, I want some thick batteries on my portable. Enough for 12 hours at least.
Surfing the Internet is OK if it's Tom's Hardware. But it better give me enough processing power to run the Enterprise version of SQL Server, .NET Development and the full Microsoft Office so I can be productive out on my back yard.
Smaller is NOT always better.
Better go, my cell phone is ringing and I can't read the caller ID on that tiny cell phone readout.

tomtom_32

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
does the sim card mean it's also a mobile phone?
combine that with gps(a good one not like the ones they put on cell phones)and it's a pretty good catch. i'd pay up to 600 dollars for that but not more. my cell already has a sim and a crappy gps. i don't wanna be charged for those twice.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
It's interesting.
I'm sad to hear the atom again (maybe using the next gen atom though?... I wish).

Looks decent and has a good battery life with integrated GPS. I'd pay $100-150 more than another leading 10" netbook, but just because of the claimed battery life.

naterandrews

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
This sounds great. 3G, GPS, HDMI compared to standardized VGA. If only they tossed in a dual core Atom.. then it truly would be a premium "non-netbook".

Subsidized, I think it would sell for about $300. Ideally however, I think it should be free. 2 Year data contracts add up to a pretty hefty sum, and the profit that whichever carrier picks this up at would negate giving it away. Add to the fact that even after the contract ends, the GPS and 3G functions are still tied to that particular network and you have a lifelong user on your hands for the life of the netbook. (Wishful thinking though).

Status
Not open for further replies.