Nokia Lumia 1020 Announced: More Camera than Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006

What do you mean about the phone? Are you knocking the windows Phone OS or are you saying the phone is unusable for placing calls? Last Nokia I owned was an N95 and it was an excellent phone which I had for an absurd 3+ years of service. I have transitioned to Android myself but I'll never understand folks who talk smack about Nokia phones, they've always been good imo and I wish they made Android units.

if only nokia makes android based phones i wouldn't mind to try one. heard that nokia was in some kind of agreement with microsoft preventing them to use android on their phones. is it true?

skyviper80

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"However, U.S. customers will be stuck with AT&T only contracts starting at $300 for a two-year contract."

That line alone will kill the success of this phone. I'd be willing to give this phone a try if it was available on Verizon. I really wish OEMs would stop with carrier exclusives and release a product across all markets.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
"Naturally, the phone isn't just camera, as there is still some essence of an actual smartphone presence."

F u. Seriously. It's as much a smartphone as any out there. No, I won't buy it, but you could at least be fair in your choice or words. WP is decent enough, and is getting more and more software support, and Nokia has always had great build quality and the best call-quality.

t0p5ecret

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006

I love comments like this, I know 2 professional photographers that are both getting a 1020

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

Thanks for loving my comment. They probably got it for the novelty. Will they use this instead of their $10,000 cameras and lenses?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I agree that pro photographers wouldn't use it for their formal picture taking but it would be great when they see a great shot at a moments notice and have no time to get the big camera and tripod out.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
As one that know a few internationally renowned photographer I can guarantee they will all have this phone, and use it professionally as well.

As one said to me once: "The best camera is the one you have ready when you need it".

That doesn't mean they'll get rid of their $10000s worth of camera equipment, this is a supplement.

You know, I was debating between this and the much more powerful, but less camera-focused, S4... until I saw that it was AT&T exclusive. That really is a shame - I love T-mobile and am grandfathered in with a fairly good contract.

You do realize that would be absolutely pointless, as nexus implies blank android - i.e. no proprietary software developed exclusively for this camera / phone thing.

A google edition phone is a wonderful thing, but it's not an end-all be-all winner.

Zeta

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
That is one of the ugliest back of a phone ever made. No taste of design what so ever. Nokia really lost it this time. If i want an camera i by an camera 10 times better with half the price, and not an expensive phone with a camera that only works on daylights.

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Finally someone made a camera into a phone. Too bad you don't get all the apps because it's a Windows phone. Looked real good on the commercials, but that OS kind of kills it for me. Never even used Windows Phone, but even if it were a great OS, they more often don't have enough market share to make less popular app development profitable.

ArpenteurDeToile

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Seriously I don't get the comments... I bet 99% of people saying "it would be great if it was android" never gave a try to WP. I am not saying it is a better OS, it is different, everyone have its own tastes. However as an Android and WP user, I can ensure that the best apps for pictures are the one provided (for free) by Nokia.
Maybe it is linked to the fact that I don't give a shit about social networks and thus I don't care about crappy filter on a picture of my food. But for the enthusiasts who just enjoy taking pictures, from my point of view Nokia soft are the best. So when I hear that it is a shame this camera-phone is not android because it will lack apps, I just think the one who wrote it doesn't know what he/she is talking about...

and by the way with 150k apps, there are far enough choice for an everyday use, just saying...

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
" Too bad you don't get all the apps because it's a Windows phone. Looked real good on the commercials, but that OS kind of kills it for me. Never even used Windows Phone,"

The above makes me want to literally cry... really, burst into tears. How can a phone OS kill it for you when you've not even taken the time to use it? How would you know what apps are available?

This is society people... a society that repeats what its quickly read without even bothering to verify the information. Kind of like how spam keeps on going even years after it's been proven to be fake.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Dear Arpenteurdetoile,
You are totally right. I am an Android user myself, for a long time and got used to the system. Last time I changed my phone, the WP platform was really lacking in term of applications ... that I use : my Bank had nothing for WP, my ISP had no apps for using the free wifis, program the STB to record remotely, etc...
But that was more than a year ago. If I look now, I see that 95% of what I use is there and the only thing holding me back to switch my Android for a WP phone is that I don't consider my Android phone is not enough depreciated yet. The few percents of missing applications are an acceptable tradeoff to step into a lean system that offers better battery life and a streamlined interface. I always liked the customization possibilities of Android, the alternative ROMS etc... but after some time, you just become bored of all this mess and the time you spend updating, testing, troubleshooting. I've come to a moment when all I want is a phone that just works efficiently and reliably for me, and that's exactly what Nokia/WP models are achieving !

Zeta

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
That is one of the ugliest back of a phone ever made. No taste of design what so ever. Nokia really lost it this time. If i want an camera i by an camera 10 times better with half the price, and not an expensive phone with a camera that only works on daylights.

donovands

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
You need to look at this as a phone/camera hybrid. Not a phone that happens to be able to take pictures. WP8 is a VERY good OS. Look at the list of improvements in iOS7. The majority come from WP8, not Android. Yes, not every app is available as yet, but the most important ones will be. And there will be some things this phone can do that nobody else can such as take 41 megapixel high quality photos. The Lumia 920 is an awesome device. This one is an improvement. Do NOT knock this until you have tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.