Nokia Lumia 620 vs. Lumia 630: Budget Windows Phone 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

derpderpderp

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I have the Lumina 521 and from using Androids I love this cheap $69 phone. I have the prepaid plan. Just an awesome phone.

spoonyjack

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Seems like an attempt to go after the Moto G. Lumia 630 might have better hardware overall with microSD but WP8...not so great. Still, that price could come down to less than $100 which would make this very tough to pass up.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Not a good product, I dont need extra 2 CPU cores, i just need 1GB RAM. Seriously quadcore is overkill when the 512RAM is the bottleneck.

alextheblue

Distinguished
That lumia 630 is a bargain.
Big time. Budget Lumias are great devices for those who buy off-contract.
Seems like an attempt to go after the Moto G. Lumia 630 might have better hardware overall with microSD but WP8...not so great. Still, that price could come down to less than $100 which would make this very tough to pass up.
Oh, so I assume you're intimately familiar Windows Phone 8.1 with its newly enhanced MicroSD support? You can install apps to it now so 8GB internal is fine for a low-end phone with support for very large micro SDXC cards. This will also help most current entry and mid-level WP8 devices, after upgrading to 8.1.

spoonyjack

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Oh, so I assume you're intimately familiar Windows Phone 8.1 with its newly enhanced MicroSD support? You can install apps to it now so 8GB internal is fine for a low-end phone with support for very large micro SDXC cards. This will also help most current entry and mid-level WP8 devices, after upgrading to 8.1.
I didn't know that actually. My experience with Windows Phone is limited to messing around with the Lumia 520 I gave to someone as a gift. Considering it was on sale for $60 it was surprisingly functional, the biggest problem with it was definitely its limited storage space.
Not a good product, I dont need extra 2 CPU cores, i just need 1GB RAM. Seriously quadcore is overkill when the 512RAM is the bottleneck.
More ram would be nice but it isn't necessary for a low-end budget Windows Phone. The Snapdragon 400 seems to be the go to cpu for decent budget phones, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that it's in the 630.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
@spoonyjack, the fact is u probably use up the 512MB RAM first b4 utilizing the additional 2 cores. Windows phone are light on resources, it doesnt need quad core to run smoothly, but if u launch enough App to run quad cores, it is most likely the 512MB ram becomes the bottleneck. They should have just stick with dual core 1Ghz + 1GB RAM like how they did on Lumia 525.

alextheblue

Distinguished
@spoonyjack, the fact is u probably use up the 512MB RAM first b4 utilizing the additional 2 cores. Windows phone are light on resources, it doesnt need quad core to run smoothly, but if u launch enough App to run quad cores,
I disagree. Quad cores are so common on phones now, that more and more app developers will take advantage of them. So it's quite conceivable that you could light that processor up with a single app - especially a game or a well-threaded web browser. With that being said, I really want both... which is why I'd go for a higher-end device.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
@spoonyjack, the fact is u probably use up the 512MB RAM first b4 utilizing the additional 2 cores. Windows phone are light on resources, it doesnt need quad core to run smoothly, but if u launch enough App to run quad cores,
I disagree. Quad cores are so common on phones now, that more and more app developers will take advantage of them. So it's quite conceivable that you could light that processor up with a single app - especially a game or a well-threaded web browser. With that being said, I really want both... which is why I'd go for a higher-end device.
when a app that use quad core, most likely it is going to use up 512MB RAM. The Ram is still the bottleneck here.

Status
Not open for further replies.