Nokia Lumia 920 Successor Could be Aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Please throw in the 808's camera sensor and sound recording. PLEASE!!!To see the capabilities of the sensor watch these:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x717XQHfq_Uand thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IJIrl1G9g[/citation]
+1
Give it the optical image stabilzation of the lumia 920, with the 41MP sensor of the 808 for zooming, and the HAAC mics of the 808 for concert audio, and im sold. I wouldn't care if it's an inch thick, weighs a pound and costs $800, id still pay it just because there's no competition.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
The lumia 800's and 900's were incepted from the nokia n9.

:\ I have an n9 myself. Harmattan is far better than windows phone imo..

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Please throw in the 808's camera sensor and sound recording. PLEASE!![/citation]

Everything depends on when they can get drivers to support the PureView camera, according to some sources within ms it will not be before second half this year. This is the reason why the PureView 808 is running Symbian.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I really doubt it. Polycarbonate is just a better material for phones. Nokia sure can do a better job of their aluminum phones than Apple, but it would still make their life unnecessarily difficult. It's fine to use aluminum if all you have to do is your basic radio signals ( have other materials where the antennas are ), but in that case you can say good bye to NFC and wireless charging.

These seems more like a rumor made to support Apples decision to go with aluminum, but I am willing to bet that the next iPhone won't be aluminum either.

G

Well this is Zak so hes probably hinting that apple is best and everyone follows them

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]I really doubt it. Polycarbonate is just a better material for phones. Nokia sure can do a better job of their aluminum phones than Apple, but it would still make their life unnecessarily difficult. It's fine to use aluminum if all you have to do is your basic radio signals ( have other materials where the antennas are ), but in that case you can say good bye to NFC and wireless charging. These seems more like a rumor made to support Apples decision to go with aluminum, but I am willing to bet that the next iPhone won't be aluminum either.[/citation]
This. Why go with a material that begs for trouble with radios, instead of a more solid/better looking/radio-friendly PCB? Sounds stupid to me.

halcyon

Splendid
^ I would be willing to pay a premium for Mg and perhaps you would too but some folks may want the lowest price possible, even at the expense of lower quality build materials.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Parsian[/nom]Please throw in the 808's camera sensor and sound recording. PLEASE!!!To see the capabilities of the sensor watch these:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x717XQHfq_Uand thishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IJIrl1G9g[/citation]
oh and a symbian or meego model too, not saying WP8 is bad, but Meego and symbian are great

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Aircraft-grade aluminium is welcome but that soda-can stuff Apple is using on the iP5 is weak, scratch-prone cheapness.[/citation]
I didn't know that there was such a thing. When searching for it, it turns out that "air craft grade" means aluminium alloy, or AlMgSi as the industry calls it. I learned back in my high school that AlMgSi is the standard material for high voltage / long distance power transmission lines, but they never called it aircraft grade aluminium (or aircraft grade aluminum for that matter ;)).

I like my plastic lumia 920. It looks very nice and clean at all times, and has already shown excelent scuff and scratch resistance while I am on my 'keys don't go in the phone pocked' learning curve. While I do not want a cheap plastic, I would actively avoid having a metal phone because there is no chance that a metal phone will survive me (and I am a careful guy) over the 2 years of my contract. A high quality plastic phone actually stands half a chance.

[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom] but I am willing to bet that the next iPhone won't be aluminum either.[/citation]
my bet is that the next iPhone has metal edges, glass front, and then a glass or plastic back. Wireless charging seems dumb when you first hear about it... but when you have it there is no going back, and I don't think there will be a premium phone on the market without it by the end of the year, and the same goes for NFC.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]fleeb[/nom]Why not Mg?[/citation]

Absolutely, it would be awesome if they used the VaporMg process to make phone cases like the Surface cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS