Nokia May be Planning an Android Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The only reason they would have built one would have been if the Lumia 920 had failed, but from what I can tell, they have been overwhelmed with orders and are back on track to be top of the pack

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]wozza365[/nom]The only reason they would have built one would have been if the Lumia 920 had failed, but from what I can tell, they have been overwhelmed with orders and are back on track to be top of the pack[/citation]

Sales of the 920 have not been as projected. Windows 8 touch devices overall have not met sales expectations plus are getting destroyed by Android and iOS devices. The $1.5 billion dollar buzz MS has been trying to create for windows 8 ( mostly on smartphones and tablets ) have not translated well in sales and market share as anticipated. This would undoubtedly force Nokia to search for alternatives to windows and the only other viable option is Android ( hence the article and its rumour )

G

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Sales of the 920 have not been as projected. Windows 8 touch devices overall have not met sales expectations plus are getting destroyed by Android and iOS devices. The $1.5 billion dollar buzz MS has been trying to create for windows 8 ( mostly on smartphones and tablets ) have not translated well in sales and market share as anticipated. This would undoubtedly force Nokia to search for alternatives to windows and the only other viable option is Android ( hence the article and its rumour )[/citation]

As far as I can tell, lots of people have been getting Lumia 920s and there have been estimates that are very high, in some countries, it has already outsold the iPhone 5 even though it hasn't been out as long

G

wozza365: Could it be any more obvious that you're hired to do Microsoft PR? You're not convincing anybody, give it up.

G

IMO I think hiring one person is not enough to port an entire operating system. To me it looks like Nokia is trying to create or port some of its exclusive services to android where they can sell the apps and make some money

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I'd think this is a wise move. Microsoft does NOT have Nokia's back. They have previously stated they're willingness to introduce a phone of their own if Nokia doesn't make the W8 compelling enough. Hopefully, with Nokia's past experience in Symbian OS they should have a smoother ride into Android compared to Windows Phone.

I am and have been a Nokia user since I was young. I've honestly only had a Sony Ericsson once, everything else has been a Nokia. This news really excites me!

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Lol people for the last time NOKIA IS NOT EVER GOING TO RELEASE AN ANDROID PHONE. I am very disapointed that tomshardware you post such a ridiculous post. Nokia obviously hired one programer to develop the "here" solutions for android that they already establised as doing. So people stop making up stuff. Seriously I though It would be very obvious that it takes more than ONE person to put android on nokia. Please tomshardware do your research properly before posting nonsense like this

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Always felt Nokia was making a deal with the devil when it partnered with Windows. Android is a much better fit.

Nokia quality phone with Android 4.x and beyond sounds exciting.

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]I'd think this is a wise move. Microsoft does NOT have Nokia's back. They have previously stated they're willingness to introduce a phone of their own if Nokia doesn't make the W8 compelling enough. Hopefully, with Nokia's past experience in Symbian OS they should have a smoother ride into Android compared to Windows Phone.I am and have been a Nokia user since I was young. I've honestly only had a Sony Ericsson once, everything else has been a Nokia. This news really excites me![/citation]

Sorry man that is never going to happen. Nokia will, fortunately, never use crappy android. It is obvious that they are simply creating a "Here" maps solution for android and nothing else as porting an operating system would take many teams of individuals and not just one... It would be a terrible mistake for Nokia to go to android as it is rubish compared to wp. Try a Nokia Lumia 920 and you will never again want to touch android

johnatnokia

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
The Nokia job positing involves our previously announced opportunity to develop HERE Maps support for other platforms, including iOS and Android. Nothing more.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
This is for a maps app which nokia is wise to sell. They have been in the mapping business for years and have highly accurate maps globally. The WP8 nokia driving app is possibly the best I've seen.

Nokia may at some point hedge their bets and do Android but I see no indication this is happening now. Despite hater assertions above it is indeed selling. We're not talking iphone5 or galaxy sales but they are certainly moving enough units to stick with the game plan.

This is a pretty silly and assuming article.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
First they suck up to Microsoft, then they shiv RIM, now they may be planning an Android phone. Man, this is one company I ain't gonna touch again.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
daaamn...Look at all those android fanboys downvoting en'mass...., they just cant accept that windows phone isnt as, buggy, slow or fragmented as android HAH!!!!

G

[citation][nom]illuminatuz[/nom]First..[/citation]

Why do peeps feel the need?

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]mozarella365[/nom]wozza365: Could it be any more obvious that you're hired to do Microsoft PR? You're not convincing anybody, give it up.[/citation]
Thill now i was unable to decides if Nokia or Microsoft is paying for this dirty campaign. Now if very clear that Microsoft is doing this. Fuck you Microsoft for corrupting this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS