Nokia Receives $1.35 Billion Grant to Develop the "Strongest Material Ever Teste

Status
Not open for further replies.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm guessing Intel or IBM could have put that money to better use.. Really, why Nokia? I mean, I'm a big fan of their phones, but this isn't exactly their area of expertise, is it?

swordrage

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2012
[citation][nom]dns7950[/nom]I'm guessing Intel or IBM could have put that money to better use.. Really, why Nokia? I mean, I'm a big fan of their phones, but this isn't exactly their area of expertise, is it?[/citation]

May be "For Europe"...

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]toolman129[/nom]"Nokia has received a $1.35 billion grant to develop the strongest material to ever."Best editing I have ever.[/citation]
Never ever.

Heh... smart move from Nokia. They already capitalized a lot from the spontaneous marketing generated from all the indestructible Nokia memes, and this kind of research investment helps consolidate the idea that Nokia makes unbreakable stuff. Besides, it will also be very useful for their own products.

Tekkaman

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
[citation][nom]toolman129[/nom]"Nokia has received a $1.35 billion grant to develop the strongest material to ever."Best editing I have ever.[/citation]

Best response to an article I have ever.

G

Geez, what's with the boasting about the EU's greatness? I mean I'm European myself, leave that "We're number 1!" shit to the 'Muricans.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
[citation][nom]dns7950[/nom]I'm guessing Intel or IBM could have put that money to better use.. Really, why Nokia? I mean, I'm a big fan of their phones, but this isn't exactly their area of expertise, is it?[/citation]
Nokia making indestructible stuff has historically been their exact area of expertise.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Graphene must be the real deal and not just a bunch of hype. It's been one of the only emerging materials/technology to get such HUGE support from both private and public institutions. I'm only 29, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]Nokia making indestructible stuff has historically been their exact area of expertise.[/citation]
"...with the European Union for the Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) providing the grant itself."

IBM is not a Euopean based company.

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]Nokia making indestructible stuff has historically been their exact area of expertise.[/citation]
They're being destroyed by Windo....... Nah! I like Windows 8.

G

It was discovered in Manchester UK, and given to human society instead of patented! I will be utterly disappointed if there are patents that arise from the research into its mainstream use!

bjoern1976

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
MISLEADING title ! What's your source for your title:

> Nokia Receives $1.35 Billion Grant to Develop the "Strongest Material Ever Tested"
????

The total grant is 1.35 Billion (about 1 Billion Euro), but there are more than a hundred
project partners involved ! Maybe Nokia is the biggest but to simply state "Nokia receives the
grant" is absolutely misleading, they are just one part !! As far as I know they're not even the leader,
which Chalmers University of Sweden.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
"Nokia Receives $1.35 Billion Grant to Develop..."
In other words, the government is bailing Nokia out but they couldn't give them the money directly due to laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.