Nokia: Samsung Take Note, Next Gen Lumia Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung: Nokia take note, put up or shut up.

OTOH, I can't wait to see if Nokia can pull this off. Their latest phones, albeit running great, have been lackluster in terms of hardware. Give us a powerful phone, Nokia, and we'll be all over it like fleas on a monkey's ar$e.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If Windows Phone 8 allows me control over my software, I will certainly be giving it serious consideration.

I am running an android phone now with a dual core 1GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM. One of the reasons it needs this much hardware is because android is pathetic at memory and app management. Whenever I open up task manager I see all these apps running I never opened. I am tired of android trying to decide for me what should be running and what shouldn't. If it didn't do this, it wouldn't need half the RAM.

Also, people complain that Microsoft doesn't update their phones with the latest OS, well guess what, android phones don't either. While my phone could easily run Jelly Bean, it will never get it and may not even get ICS though hardware wise it was designed with ICS in mind.

If Microsoft encourages good app development, and has Windows Phone 8 give me control over my device, I will give it a very serious look see.

supr3m3justic3

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
The Nokia Lumina 900 is complete garbage. I have been using this god aweful phone since it released, i am on my 3rd one and i hate the damn thing. My Samsung focus was 100x better than this faulty excuse for a phone.

I will never buy another Nokia product again. And MS should wise up and drop them as a hardware vendor, because the phone makes the OS look bad. If i would have had the Nokie first and not the Samsung; I dont think i would even buy another Windows Phone.

/endrant.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]If Windows Phone 8 allows me control over my software, I will certainly be giving it serious consideration.I am running an android phone now with a dual core 1GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM. One of the reasons it needs this much hardware is because android is pathetic at memory and app management. Whenever I open up task manager I see all these apps running I never opened. I am tired of android trying to decide for me what should be running and what shouldn't. If it didn't do this, it wouldn't need half the RAM.Also, people complain that Microsoft doesn't update their phones with the latest OS, well guess what, android phones don't either. While my phone could easily run Jelly Bean, it will never get it and may not even get ICS though hardware wise it was designed with ICS in mind.If Microsoft encourages good app development, and has Windows Phone 8 give me control over my device, I will give it a very serious look see.[/citation]

upgrades in os are usually the carrier/ phone makers fault. my wife's phone is a intecept 2 we did get he rupdated to 2.3 even though it was onyl ever released with 2.2, i had to root it, and have found a kit for upgrading it to 4.0 but the specs might not work fo rit... i liek android so far as i was using a palm pre befor emy samsung galaxy nexus ... but the not being updatd was why i went with the nexus lien and from now on my wife is going to be doign the same

bipolargraph

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]upgrades in os are usually the carrier/ phone makers fault. my wife's phone is a intecept 2 we did get he rupdated to 2.3 even though it was onyl ever released with 2.2, i had to root it, and have found a kit for upgrading it to 4.0 but the specs might not work fo rit... i liek android so far as i was using a palm pre befor emy samsung galaxy nexus ... but the not being updatd was why i went with the nexus lien and from now on my wife is going to be doign the same[/citation]
Oh man reading this hurts.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
I think Samsung made all the notes they need,

1. People don't want WP, so Samsung more or less left the sinking microsoft boat.
2. People liked MeeGo, Samsung took it and made Tizen
3. If you put all eggs in the same basket, disaster will cause a lot trouble, Samsung commits to multiple mobile OS.

Nokia made all three mistakes (should I say the people from microsoft as Elop and Weber) and now Samsung is the KING.

G

@_TuxUser_ I like linux too but Tizen and Meego don't seem to be going anywhere yet (Been a few years now). There isn't a huge creative team behind it. I hope someone picks up the open source remains of WebOS again or we get another linux based Open OS Like Ubuntu Phone OS.

Samsung is king? sure! King of cheap plastic phones and copying others designs. Not impressed with them. But they do make one of the best andorid phones.

Nokia is king of caring too much, They test the hell out of their phones , care about build quality, and treat their workforce fairly etc. That being said they sometimes have a tendency to be stubborn and old fashion and seem to be behind of the curve at times. I hope either windows phone works out for them or they do more then one platform.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]sorry i am bad at typing hope the info was worth reading[/citation]
You can find spellchecker plugins for Opera, Chrome and Firefox. This is just friendly advice.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]upgrades in os are usually the carrier/ phone makers fault. my wife's phone is a intecept 2 we did get he rupdated to 2.3 even though it was onyl ever released with 2.2, i had to root it, and have found a kit for upgrading it to 4.0 but the specs might not work fo rit... i liek android so far as i was using a palm pre befor emy samsung galaxy nexus ... but the not being updatd was why i went with the nexus lien and from now on my wife is going to be doign the same[/citation]
I know it comes down to the carrier, that doesn't matter. Microsoft still gets bashed for being no different than Android devices when it comes to previous models being abandoned, the how and why don't really matter when the net result is the same.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I know it comes down to the carrier, that doesn't matter. Microsoft still gets bashed for being no different than Android devices when it comes to previous models being abandoned, the how and why don't really matter when the net result is the same.[/citation]
With Windows Phone, it's not up to the carrier at all. Microsoft controls WP, same as Apple controls iOS. The only mobile OS that the carriers actually have control over, is Android. Microsoft made the decision not to "upgrade" WP7 phones to WP8 themselves.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]I think Samsung made all the notes they need, 1. People don't want WP, so Samsung more or less left the sinking microsoft boat[/citation]
Other people have pointed out quite the opposite, apart from a few tech-heads that know their OS's, the vast majority of phone buyers buy a PHONE, bigger screen, slimmer cases, better cameras, etc. If samsung had pushed WP7 at the same rate as Android the take up would have been higher.
Nokias has a lacklustre image problem, not its actual technical capabilities, the phones are pretty good but when compared next to a SGS3 people go for that. If the SGS3 had WP7 on it then it would sell like hot cakes too
If Nokia can pull themselves up by the bootstraps and get back in the game with some game changing hardware then WP8 will be carried along for the ride, if that happens you will see Samsung also start to push some WP8 handsets too

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]With Windows Phone, it's not up to the carrier at all. Microsoft controls WP, same as Apple controls iOS. The only mobile OS that the carriers actually have control over, is Android. Microsoft made the decision not to "upgrade" WP7 phones to WP8 themselves.[/citation]
Not true, in the UK some updates are blocked at carrier level, specifically Orange not allowing an update that will allow tethering, whilst "3" network does allow it.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
personally i thinks that the current nokia phones are very big and bothersome...most smartphones are the same way...4inch is a limit of how big they should be for comfortable use and one finger navigation

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]Samsung: Nokia take note, put up or shut up.OTOH, I can't wait to see if Nokia can pull this off. Their latest phones, albeit running great, have been lackluster in terms of hardware. Give us a powerful phone, Nokia, and we'll be all over it like fleas on a monkey's ar$e.[/citation]If it runs everything great, why should you care so much about specs?[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]now Samsung is the KING.[/citation]Blackberry used to be king. HTC used to be king of the Android/WM world. Motorola's Droid was all the rage. Look where they are now. Being on top at the moment doesn't mean as much in the smartphone market as you think.

Even the "infallible" Apple's strength in the smartphone market is not quite what it used to be, although their profits are still quite healthy. They sure do know how to market and lock people in!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]With Windows Phone, it's not up to the carrier at all. Microsoft controls WP, same as Apple controls iOS. The only mobile OS that the carriers actually have control over, is Android. Microsoft made the decision not to "upgrade" WP7 phones to WP8 themselves.[/citation]
You're still missing the point. To the consumer, the result is the same. I don't care if it's the OS maker of the carrier, the result is you don't get an upgrade to the OS.

Cant wait to see the new offerings. I will definitely be getting a WP8 device for Christmas, but it will have to be under $500 retail, duel core, minimum 1GB of ram, minimum 8 hours of battery, and support an SD card. It does not have to be super thin, it does not have to be the best screen on earth; just give me capacity to multitask, space for all my music and documents so I don't have to rely as much on skydrive (or rather use skydrive like a sync service like I do on my computers instead of a storage place), and an expanded office suite so that I can use my phone to basically replace my netbook.
That is all I care about; Just give me a device powerful enough to replace my phone, mp3 player, and netbook with a single device in a decent budget. If you can replace my GPS then all the better!

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]StevenPPP[/nom]@_TuxUser_ I like linux too but Tizen and Meego don't seem to be going anywhere yet (Been a few years now). There isn't a huge creative team behind it. I hope someone picks up the open source remains of WebOS again or we get another linux based Open OS Like Ubuntu Phone OS.Samsung is king? sure! King of cheap plastic phones and copying others designs. Not impressed with them. But they do make one of the best andorid phones.Nokia is king of caring too much, They test the hell out of their phones , care about build quality, and treat their workforce fairly etc. That being said they sometimes have a tendency to be stubborn and old fashion and seem to be behind of the curve at times. I hope either windows phone works out for them or they do more then one platform.[/citation]

Tizen is Samsungs effort to make linux run even worse than Android, so the less I hear about that, the better. JollaMobile (MeeGo guys from Nokia) is picking up MeeGo, and plans to reveal a phone later this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.