Nokia Sells 86.3 Million Phones, 4.4M Lumias During Q4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
I really can't be bothered with smartphones but as my K800i is giving up the ghost I picked up a Lumia 800 from O2 in the UK for under £130 a week ago. Hard to go wrong with such a deal - phone sold out in a matter of days. Good design, easy to use OS and I couldn't care less about apps, so win-win.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Considering all the money, hype and marketing behind windows 8 and the 920, they were outsold by the iPhone 5, 10:1. Showed my wife the 920, its a brick, seriously 180g, we're not in the early 2000s.

S3 is 130g, iPhone 5 is 112g, people don't want a 180g phone, almost 80% more weight than an iPhone 5 and their apps are ass compared to iOS.

Took a pictures at the Microsoft store with the 920 than went to the Apple store and used the iPhone 5. This was before they released the update to fix the camera problems in the 920. iPhone was faster and clearer of a picture. Wife instantly went with the iPhone 5, can't blame her. Plus the headphone are superior with the iPhone 5 compared to the 920.

WP8 will be a distant third behind Android and iOS. Ahead of BlackBerry OS, which isn't saying much.

Remember one thing folks, Microsoft has been making tablets and phones for over a decade. Over that decade their marketshare has been horrible and they have lost close to $1.5-$3.5 billion on mobile (operating income).

They are not, have not been and will not be successful with their current and planned lineups (PRO tablets). As a shareholder I continue to be pissed at Microsoft's shortcomings in mobile.

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Considering all the money, hype and marketing behind windows 8 and the 920, they were outsold by the iPhone 5, 10:1. Showed my wife the 920, its a brick, seriously 180g, we're not in the early 2000s.S3 is 130g, iPhone 5 is 112g, people don't want a 180g phone, almost 80% more weight than an iPhone 5 and their apps are ass compared to iOS.Took a pictures at the Microsoft store with the 920 than went to the Apple store and used the iPhone 5. This was before they released the update to fix the camera problems in the 920. iPhone was faster and clearer of a picture. Wife instantly went with the iPhone 5, can't blame her. Plus the headphone are superior with the iPhone 5 compared to the 920.WP8 will be a distant third behind Android and iOS. Ahead of BlackBerry OS, which isn't saying much.Remember one thing folks, Microsoft has been making tablets and phones for over a decade. Over that decade their marketshare has been horrible and they have lost close to $1.5-$3.5 billion on mobile (operating income).They are not, have not been and will not be successful with their current and planned lineups (PRO tablets). As a shareholder I continue to be pissed at Microsoft's shortcomings in mobile.[/citation]
Other than the heft issue (which is not really much of an issue; 180g is comparatively heavy, but still not so heavy that it is going to fatigue your hand or pocket with regular use), WP8, and specifically the Lumia 920 is superior over the iPhone 5 in just about every way. The iPhone has been behind the curve of Android ever since the 3GS, and now they are behind WP8 for usability and features as well. And the camera worked great even before the fix. Way better than any of my friends iPhone cameras, and video on the Lumia 920 (provided you do not change lighting conditions or need to zoom) rivals the video quality and image stabilization of my dedicated 3CCD video camera. I am constantly blown away by it.

And Apple audio is HORRIBLE. I have done audio engineering for various churches and nonprofits for several years and the weak link in all of them is that they all like to use Apple products because that is all that ProPresenter was available on before (and propreseter is pretty cool software for church use). The problem is that audio quality is something that is often learned, and if you are acustomed to listening to a partiular quality of audio then your brain corrects for it, which makes you think that it is better, and makes you think that other things are in fact worse. But if you play some high quality audio on a Lumia 920 vs an iPhone of any generation it becomes readily apparent that there is much more noise and less clarity on the apple devices (note, this is audio quality, not phone call quality which actually is better on the iPhone 4-5). But we have 80+% of the population that has grown acustomed to the audio quality of iProducts, and even though it is awful, people prefer it because it is what they are use to.
Again, not saying the audio on the Lumia 920 is perfect, because it is not; but it is quite good as far as phones are concerned, and it is not plagued with the terrible Beats Audio which is nothing more than a cheap bass boost which actually lowers audio fidelity.

I love my Lumia 920. It is a great device, and costs much less than the competition. WP8 is a huge win, and I think what is hurting it's market share is that there are no 'cheap' WP8 devices, as well as no 'enthusiast' level devices. I understand that they do not want to hurt the brand of WP8 by allowing cheap devices... but if they want to gain market share and have more exposure, then they are simply going to have to take that risk at some point. And right now, from bottom to top you have a whole set of devices that are all esentially the same guts, but with deviations of case design, camera, and software suite. That is not enough varieity to cater to a wide audience and gain market share.

I would like to see them change their lineup a little. Right now you have the 82x which is the base phone which shares all of the same guts as the 920, but with a lower resolution screen, and not quite all of the other perks of the nice body and such. I think this is the wrong way to go.

WP8 supports 3 screen resolutions, and I think they should have a launch point around each of these.
Make the lowest end device physically smaller. Right now there are simply no 'small' WP8 devices which scares women away. If there were a nice compact 3.5-4" device available then it would sell just fine, because there are lots of people out there that are not trying to use their phone as a laptop replacement.

The 920 should be the midrange device, offering a good balance of screen size, CPU power, and usability. But please add an SD card. There is plenty of room in there to add one! Even if nobody used it (which I argue would not be the case), it would at least make the ignorant masses who say "No SD card, No way" give your device a 2nd glance. Personally, I would like the extra space because I have a ~25GB music collection that I would like to cram on there, but after documents, and saving some space to take pictures and video, I am simply forced to only put on some of my more used MP3s.
Anywho, other than the SD card thing, the 920 is just about the 'perfect' phone for most people (myself included).

Then for the high end, offer something absolutely ridiculous! I know it is all epeen and bragging rights, but some people want that. Give them a monster 5+" screen with a quad core CPU and high end GPU to really go nuts with. Throw on the full PureView camera, complete with the baby bump that comes with it. Give it 2GB of ram, and some 60+GB of internal storage. Make it big, make it amazing, and make it expensive. Hardly anyone will buy it because it would not fit most people's use case, but it will attract attention and buzz which would go a long way to getting sales for the smaller more 'normal' devices.

But when it comes down to it, the Lumia 900 was a great start. It did not generate a ton of sales because most educated buyers knew that WP8 was 'coming soon', but it did get people talking about Nokia in a positive light again. The 920 and 82x are selling, which is great news, but the 920 needs broad availability, and right now it is only available on ATT... and even then you can only really get it in Black and White. This year Nokia needs a WP8 replacement for the 700 series, as well as a real monster high end phone, and then I think Noka will have a phone for just about every market, and finally regain some market share, and correct some of their financial woes.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Considering all the money, hype and marketing behind windows 8 and the 920, they were outsold by the iPhone 5, 10:1. Showed my wife the 920, its a brick, seriously 180g, we're not in the early 2000s.S3 is 130g, iPhone 5 is 112g, people don't want a 180g phone, almost 80% more weight than an iPhone 5 and their apps are ass compared to iOS.Took a pictures at the Microsoft store with the 920 than went to the Apple store and used the iPhone 5. This was before they released the update to fix the camera problems in the 920. iPhone was faster and clearer of a picture. Wife instantly went with the iPhone 5, can't blame her. Plus the headphone are superior with the iPhone 5 compared to the 920.WP8 will be a distant third behind Android and iOS. Ahead of BlackBerry OS, which isn't saying much.Remember one thing folks, Microsoft has been making tablets and phones for over a decade. Over that decade their marketshare has been horrible and they have lost close to $1.5-$3.5 billion on mobile (operating income).They are not, have not been and will not be successful with their current and planned lineups (PRO tablets). As a shareholder I continue to be pissed at Microsoft's shortcomings in mobile.[/citation]

And yet that phone is probably still lighter then your thick rimmed glasses...

Seriously anyone who gives a damn about 70 grams needs a kick. The important thing is the OS and if the phone actually works. Stop pandering to the pointless figures that marketing tell you are important.

If you want a camera, buy a damn camera. The XF1 is a small sleek package that annihilates any camera phone out there and costs less then top of the line smart phones.

Remember folks, ask yourself if you're buying a gimmick or something that is actually essential. Hell, most people will have a $500 smart phone and yet use knives from walmart, and shower with value soap. How gullible people are...

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
if your wife is weaker than this girl, then she really needs to go to the gym (and you'll have to find someone else to clean the house)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bKjZckV14OQ

G

Apple fanboys tend to foam at the mouth when worshiping at the temple of Jobs.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]And yet that phone is probably still lighter then your thick rimmed glasses...Seriously anyone who gives a damn about 70 grams needs a kick. The important thing is the OS and if the phone actually works. Stop pandering to the pointless figures that marketing tell you are important. If you want a camera, buy a damn camera. The XF1 is a small sleek package that annihilates any camera phone out there and costs less then top of the line smart phones. Remember folks, ask yourself if you're buying a gimmick or something that is actually essential. Hell, most people will have a $500 smart phone and yet use knives from walmart, and shower with value soap. How gullible people are...[/citation]

LOL if you don't think weight makes a difference than you have zero clue as to why thinner and lighter electronics products have been leading the wave of design decisions. From mobile, tablets and laptops (ultrabooks), its all about quality products that are thin and light. I guess you haven't figured out this even though its been going on for 5 years.

70g represents 50-62% heavier than competitors products.

Can I settle with a 15", 5 lbs laptop sure, if its 62% heavier at 8.1lbs and its basically offering me the same thing, no way in hell would I lug around a 8lbs 15" laptop.

Weight, thickness, overall design does and will always matter for consumer level products.

Notice DVD players from when they first came out to how they are after 10 years? Much thinner and lighter.

Notice playstation comes out with slimmer and lighter models? Ask yourself why.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]if your wife is weaker than this girl, then she really needs to go to the gym (and you'll have to find someone else to clean the house)http://www.youtube.com/watch?featu [...] KjZckV14OQ[/citation]

By the way I know 3 guys (excluding me) that are IT professionals that once it was known the 920 was 180g it automatically elimiated itself as an option.

2 stayed with their current phone, 1 switched to an Optimus G.

P.S. my wife appreciates good design and the Nokia 920 with its thickness and weight does not offer it. Sorry to burst your bubble. There's a reason why the Nokia 920 sales are a fraction of better designed products.

LOL the S3 which came out 1/2 year before has a larger screen, thinner and lighter ALL with a larger screen.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Right now there are simply no 'small' WP8 devices which scares women away. If there were a nice compact 3.5-4" device available then it would sell just fine, because there are lots of people out there that are not trying to use their phone as a laptop replacement.[/citation]Actually Verizon is releasing the Samsung Ativ Odyssey which is a 4" phone. I would MUCH rather have a 920, or even the 822. 822 whips the Odyssey's butt. But you're right, it might be OK as a chick phone.

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]I love my Lumia 920. It is a great device, and costs much less than the competition. WP8 is a huge win, and I think what is hurting it's market share is that there are no 'cheap' WP8 devices, as well as no 'enthusiast' level devices. I understand that they do not want to hurt the brand of WP8 by allowing cheap devices... but if they want to gain market share and have more exposure, then they are simply going to have to take that risk at some point. And right now, from bottom to top you have a whole set of devices that are all esentially the same guts, but with deviations of case design, camera, and software suite. That is not enough varieity to cater to a wide audience and gain market share.I would like to see them change their lineup a little. Right now you have the 82x which is the base phone which shares all of the same guts as the 920, but with a lower resolution screen, and not quite all of the other perks of the nice body and such. I think this is the wrong way to go.WP8 supports 3 screen resolutions, and I think they should have a launch point around each of these.Make the lowest end device physically smaller. Right now there are simply no 'small' WP8 devices which scares women away. If there were a nice compact 3.5-4" device available then it would sell just fine, because there are lots of people out there that are not trying to use their phone as a laptop replacement.The 920 should be the midrange device, offering a good balance of screen size, CPU power, and usability. But please add an SD card. There is plenty of room in there to add one! Even if nobody used it (which I argue would not be the case), it would at least make the ignorant masses who say "No SD card, No way" give your device a 2nd glance. Personally, I would like the extra space because I have a ~25GB music collection that I would like to cram on there, but after documents, and saving some space to take pictures and video, I am simply forced to only put on some of my more used MP3s.Anywho, other than the SD card thing, the 920 is just about the 'perfect' phone for most people (myself included).Then for the high end, offer something absolutely ridiculous! I know it is all epeen and bragging rights, but some people want that. Give them a monster 5+" screen with a quad core CPU and high end GPU to really go nuts with. Throw on the full PureView camera, complete with the baby bump that comes with it. Give it 2GB of ram, and some 60+GB of internal storage. Make it big, make it amazing, and make it expensive. Hardly anyone will buy it because it would not fit most people's use case, but it will attract attention and buzz which would go a long way to getting sales for the smaller more 'normal' devices.But when it comes down to it, the Lumia 900 was a great start. It did not generate a ton of sales because most educated buyers knew that WP8 was 'coming soon', but it did get people talking about Nokia in a positive light again. The 920 and 82x are selling, which is great news, but the 920 needs broad availability, and right now it is only available on ATT... and even then you can only really get it in Black and White. This year Nokia needs a WP8 replacement for the 700 series, as well as a real monster high end phone, and then I think Noka will have a phone for just about every market, and finally regain some market share, and correct some of their financial woes.[/citation]

The small Windows phones are already being released. The lumia 620 is avilable on expansys unlocked for 280 USD (if im not mistaken) and then there is also the Samsung ativ odyssey that is available on verison. And Verison is also going to get a lumia 920 variation codenamed Lazer sometime later this year. I'm not sure what could be more high end than the lumia 920, maybe you mean a bigger screen, in which the the 6 inch Huawei phone that is rumoured should fill that niche.

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Now if only Verizon would carry a 920-equivalent.[/citation]

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]LOL if you don't think weight makes a difference than you have zero clue as to why thinner and lighter electronics products have been leading the wave of design decisions. From mobile, tablets and laptops (ultrabooks), its all about quality products that are thin and light. I guess you haven't figured out this even though its been going on for 5 years.70g represents 50-62% heavier than competitors products.Can I settle with a 15", 5 lbs laptop sure, if its 62% heavier at 8.1lbs and its basically offering me the same thing, no way in hell would I lug around a 8lbs 15" laptop.Weight, thickness, overall design does and will always matter for consumer level products.Notice DVD players from when they first came out to how they are after 10 years? Much thinner and lighter.Notice playstation comes out with slimmer and lighter models? Ask yourself why.[/citation]

What you are saying would only make sence if :
a) both products being compared had the same features which is not the case at all. The lumia 920 has a superior camera with OIS, built in wireless charging and the phone is much more durable than any Samsung or the iphone 5.
b)If 185 grams was actually uncomfortable to hold. I have let numerous people (including children and women) handle my 920 and the weight bothers no one at all. I actually prefer my phone to same some weight as it shows quality and sturdiness.

dare2blink

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]By the way I know 3 guys (excluding me) that are IT professionals that once it was known the 920 was 180g it automatically elimiated itself as an option.2 stayed with their current phone, 1 switched to an Optimus G.P.S. my wife appreciates good design and the Nokia 920 with its thickness and weight does not offer it. Sorry to burst your bubble. There's a reason why the Nokia 920 sales are a fraction of better designed products.LOL the S3 which came out 1/2 year before has a larger screen, thinner and lighter ALL with a larger screen.[/citation]

hahahahahaha I don't know what is funnier, you and three guys supposedly not choosing a 920 because it weight 185 grams or you actually having the courage to admit it. hahahahahahah seriously dude that is ridiculous, 185 grams is nothing and no one with half a brain would choose or not choose a phone simply based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.