non - 2.0 Compliant needed

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Greetings,

I'm trying to find a new vid for my system. I have a GF2 MX 32 megs 4X/2X. Mother board is Aopen (AX6BC) AGP 2x and it's not 2.0 Compliant Socket so that leaves out all the big boys.

Any recommendations on a good card to upgrade to that's note 2.0 Compliant Socket?
Been searching around e-bay but not sure what I should buy. I just want the game for strictly gaming.

Chewy

PS - I know I should upgrade to a new board but I just purchased a p3 733 for it on e-bay - have a 550 now.

It's not wise to upset a Wookie.

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
no matter your x.x compliance, I would suggest an 9700(non-pro) as you can always use it when another upgrade is possible for you (The card can run 8x). It is quite cheap since the 9800pro is the flagship at the moment. You will be beating away in your games, even though you miss out of the 8x agp speed.

I suggest it as as the price/performance - upgrade/featurs compatible card one the market.. viel glúck

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Those PIIIs would bottleneck a 9700. How about a GF4 Ti4200 64mb?

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
If you seriously want to save money, go for the Gf3-TI200 or the Gf4-TI4200.. but you would miss out of the beautiful DX9 graphics then.. =(

Intel Pentium 4 - 400Mhz FSB - 2.4Ghz
- 1152mb pc-133 - Ati Radeon 9700 128Mb

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Do these card need AGP 2.0 Compliant Socket or AGP 2.0 or higher expansion port? If so they no good to me. I'm having a hard time to find this out.

Chewy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
People are so dense in here! You can use most cards in your board. MOST of the latest AGP8x cards are 1.0 compliant.

Wait, you said not 2.0 compliant, right? That's bullshit. These cards autoswitch modes from 3.0 to 2.0 to 1.0. That's why they are 1.0 compliant.

The question you are asking is like saying "I want a car that's not premium fuel compliant". To which I'd say "toughshit, they all are, even the ones that only require standard fuel".

The only ATI card I know of that is NOT according to my sources 1.0 compliant is the 9600/9600 Pro. All the other ATI cards are, as well as most (if not all) nVidia cards.

So going at this backwards only makes you out to be even stupider, these cards are cross-compatable, they auto-detect which slot version you have.

And to make yourself even stupider with this "not 2.0 compliant" question, you didn't even know that your GF2 is ALREADY AGP 2.0 compliant! You'd better quit using it, it's AGP 2.0 compliant, oh my!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Let me make this easy for you, all GeForce2, 3, and 4 cards are AGP 2.0 compliant, even yours. They are also all AGP 1.0 compliant.

Same is true of all ATI 8500, 9100, 9700, and 9800 cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
Roger that - Thanks!

I download a program called PowerStrip and it tell me that I do indeed have AGP 2.0 compliant even though the board is suppose to not. Going for a t14200 now.

Thanks again,
Chewy

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
I never heard tell of this AGP 2.0 compliant till a few days ago. I seen it as a requirement on some cards I was looking at on ebay. I thought vid cards were all about 2x/4x etc... So I went to a message board on my mother board and people were having issues with new vid card and the explanation given was the MB didn't support AGP 2.0 compliant. That's all I know or knew. So I came to Toms for help.
Sorry for bothering with my stupid questions. I'll just keep wondering next time and become more dense just to avoid nasty remarks from people like you.

Chewy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most likely PowerStrip is reporting the info off your card, the BX chipset is NOT 2.0 compliant, and that doesn't matter for the Ti4200 because the Ti4200 is 1.0 compliant, like your board, as well as 2.0, and the Ti4200 8x is even 1.0/2.0/3.0 compliant.

So asking what cards aren't 2.0 compliant or even 3.0 compliant makes no sense, because these cards are BACKWARDS compatable to earlier standards.

You probably didn't know your board also supports PC133 and even PC150 SDRAM did you? The restrictions for memory are spelled on in the first post of the Motherboard's forum, in case you ever want to upgrade that as well.

Chewy

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2002
That's what I thought by looking at PowerStrip but according to this http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20011121_5988.html it says the board. But you are most likely right. Because else where in PowerStrip it says it's 1.

I have PC133 in it now. And yes to 150. Be keeping an eye out for that on ebay : o)

I just bought a ti4200 on ebay. I know I wont come close to taking the full advantage of it but it's good for when I decide to upgrade to a new board. And for a 100 bucks why not : o ) I'm sure I notice a difference coming from what I have (GF 2).

Chewy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, it's just the "non 2.0 compliant" question. Every modern card is 2.0 compliant, all the way back to the TNT2 (well, at least a bunch of TNT2's).