[SOLVED] Non Enthusiast/Gaming part sourcing (Mainly motherboards)

Aug 14, 2020
This seems so simple but yet has been so hard. I have been looking into building a family member a new pc. They don't really do much gaming or any sort of demanding tasks like video editing. So when looking at the parts I would use in a system for them, all I can find on things like newegg or microcenter are high end boards with expensive z chipsets with the pricetags to match, or insane budget boards that cut dangerous corners and have very questionable reviews. Where are the typical nothing fancy boards at? I must be missing something surely.

Semi related are cases as well, like what happened to the standard black box cases; without the clear window panel and all that jazz. The person in question is quite old and will scoff at any sort of expensive hardware, and these sort of things drive up the cost so easily.

So my question in tl;dr form kind of is, where do you find parts for a lower end web machine, or if it is one of the typical stores like newegg or microcenter, what tips or guidelines do you use to find cheap parts (in features, but not quality, if that makes sense). I really don't want to recommend an intel board with a B or Z chipset for them, as they will pay for quite a few features they will never use.

Solution
Thing is I have parts I can already use for it that I would feel better using instead of leaving them on a shelf and would have the added bonus of reducing cost; buying a prebuilt would prevent me from capitalizing on that unfortunately.
Well...in that case...

lets start with what parts you have. Then what preferences: processor, gpu (if it matters), system size for instance.

If you don't have a processor and it doesn't matter then right now an AMD 3400G processor provides the absolute best bang for the buck since, also not having a gaming inclination, it will have a more than adequate GPU included. That means there's no need to buy a discrete GPU. Also being non-enthusiast it will fit nicely on any number of AMD A320...
This seems so simple but yet has been so hard. I have been looking into building a family member a new pc. They don't really do much gaming or any sort of demanding tasks like video editing. So when looking at the parts I would use in a system for them, all I can find on things like newegg or microcenter are high end boards with expensive z chipsets with the pricetags to match, or insane budget boards that cut dangerous corners and have very questionable reviews. Where are the typical nothing fancy boards at? I must be missing something surely.

Semi related are cases as well, like what happened to the standard black box cases; without the clear window panel and all that jazz. The person in question is quite old and will scoff at any sort of expensive hardware, and these sort of things drive up the cost so easily.

So my question in tl;dr form kind of is, where do you find parts for a lower end web machine, or if it is one of the typical stores like newegg or microcenter, what tips or guidelines do you use to find cheap parts (in features, but not quality, if that makes sense). I really don't want to recommend an intel board with a B or Z chipset for them, as they will pay for quite a few features they will never use.
I'd just look go looking for a pre-built based on standard components. That mainly means avoiding companies like HP or Dell who use proprietary parts in many areas. The advantage of that is 1) you get a whole-system warranty, not just the components. So if ANYTHING goes wrong then you take the whole thing back and tell them to fix it. and 2)being based on standard components if the enthusiast or gaming bug DOES hit they'll have something with which to start an upgrade path.

Aug 14, 2020
I'd just look go looking for a pre-built based on standard components. That mainly means avoiding companies like HP or Dell who use proprietary parts in many areas. The advantage of that is 1) you get a whole-system warranty, not just the components. So if ANYTHING goes wrong then you take the whole thing back and tell them to fix it. and 2)being based on standard components if the enthusiast or gaming bug DOES hit they'll have something that starts an upgrade path.

Thing is I have parts I can already use for it that I would feel better using instead of leaving them on a shelf and would have the added bonus of reducing cost; buying a prebuilt would prevent me from capitalizing on that unfortunately.

Well...in that case...

lets start with what parts you have. Then what preferences: processor, gpu (if it matters), system size for instance.

If you don't have a processor and it doesn't matter then right now an AMD 3400G processor provides the absolute best bang for the buck since, also not having a gaming inclination, it will have a more than adequate GPU included. That means there's no need to buy a discrete GPU. Also being non-enthusiast it will fit nicely on any number of AMD A320 motherboards that are very economical and very basic.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 14, 2020
Well...in that case...

If you don't have a processor and it doesn't matter then right now an AMD 3400G processor provides the absolute best bang for the buck since, also not having a gaming inclination, it will have a more than adequate GPU included. That means there's no need to buy a discrete GPU. Also being non-enthusiast it will fit nicely on any number of AMD A320 motherboards that are very economical and very basic.

Sorry for the late response, Yeah I will probably look into that cpu, thanks. I don't have a frame of reference with AMD as I have always had an intel platform, and I wasn't too sure about building a pc for someone else with parts I myself am not familiar with; but hey if the price per performance is good, maybe it is worth a shot.

What parts do you already have?
What is your budget?
I built a pc for my son which is mainly used for desktop work.
I used a i3-10100 processor that is very quick and costs about $120.
The integrated HD630 graphics is fine for even HD movie playback.
I used the least expensive lga1200 motherboard; they start about %70.
A 2 x 8gb ddr4 kit of ram is about $55. ram speed does not matter.
The key, I think for a snappy desktop is to use a ssd for the windows C drive.
Sata is fine, but the intel 660P m.2 pcie drives are faster and reasonable.
$65 for a 500gb drive.

Cases are a personal thing.
I like small ITX cases like this Fractal design nano S
https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-nano-s-mini-itx/p/N82E16811352061?&quicklink=true