Question Non-functioning PCI x16 slot ?

May 24, 2022
Ive a second-hand Intel DQ77MK motherboard, i7 3.4 processor and 32GB RAM, Corsair 650w PSU. Issue I have is that I cannot get WIndows or the BIOS to recognise my GPU.

If I use the old Nvidia GT630 card (PCI x4), its detected without any issues so I know the port is fine. If I try either PCIe x16 cards MSI R9 380 2Gb (2 x 6 pin power) or a Sapphire Nitro 480 8Gb (1 x 8 pin power) , neither are seen in BIOS or Windows and get no display. Both PCI x16 cards fans spin and the build in lights work

Ive set the BIOS to use PEG as primary and disabled the Intel integrated graphics. Flashed the BIOS to the latest version, checked the PSU to make sure that its giving out enough power.

Have even assembled on a board to make sure no shorting from the case. Im at a loss.
Any suggestions what else to try.

Ive a second hand Intel DQ77MK motherboard, i7 3.4 processor and 32GB RAM, Corsair 650w PSU. Issue I have is that I cannot get WIndows or the BIOS to recognise my GPU.

If I use the old Nvidia GT630 card (PCIx4), its detected without any issues so I know the port is fine. If I try either PCIe x16 cards MSI R9 380 2Gb (2 x 6 pin power) or a Sapphire Nitro 480 8Gb (1 x 8 pin power) , neither are seen in BIOS or Windows and get no display. Both PCI x16 cards fans spin and the build in lights work

Ive set the BIOS to use PEG as primary and disabled the Intel integrated graphics. Flashed the BIOS to the latest version, checked the PSU to make sure that its giving out enough power.

Have even assembled on a board to make sure no shorting from the case. Im at a loss.
Any suggestions what else to try.
Have you tried to run the bios on UEFI only (Launch CSM disabled/off)?

Tried UEFI only and Legacy Only. No difference, theres no option for CSM as its an older board.
then it's either the pcie x16 got damaged on the board OR the cpu is defective, i've seen some problems like this while building sandy and ivy bridge based cpus, along with the memory cant do dual channel cause of the damaged IMC (some said rare but i've ecountered this problem many times).

May 24, 2022
then it's either the pcie x16 got damaged on the board OR the cpu is defective, i've seen some problems like this while building sandy and ivy bridge based cpus, along with the memory cant do dual channel cause of the damaged IMC (some said rare but i've ecountered this problem many times).

swapped the I7 for an i5, no difference, had a look at all the pins on the board and they are all straight. I suspected the port but it doesnt explain why the Nvidia GT630 works on it although that runs at x4, not x16 and doesnt use its own power supply.