Build Advice Non-Gaming PC

OmahaMax

Commendable
Jun 5, 2019
I need to build a new PC for our church treasurer. Most of the suggested builds I have seen are for gamers. My requirements are as follows: I have one program that is really cpu intensive, and over the next year, I plan to rewrite it to use as many threads as possible. Graphics load is not intensive, nothing like gaming. I need to have one 32 bit virtual machine, running WinXP to support some legacy programs. Would appreciate advice on components.

CPU - Am considering Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x (sometimes I see 2600x almost as inexpensive as 2600)​
Motherboard - ATX or mATX?​
Memory - 16gb (may use 1 to 2 gb as RAM disk)​
Hard drive - Can probably get by with 250 gb. Should I buy a regular SSD or an M.2?​
Power supply - ?​
Case - ATX or mATX?​

Thanks for any help you can give me.

kanewolf

Titan
A 2600 doesn't have built-in graphics. You want a 2200g (or 2400g). You don't want a 3xxx series because you have to buy an expensive motherboard or have a supported CPU for BIOS update.
A Seasonic 450W or similar for PSU.
I would get a 500GB SATA SSD -- An Crucial MX.

Youll want to go with a ryzen 2400g since the Ryzen 2600 has no graphics support, ssd would be fine for what you are going to be using it for, I would go with an Atx because it's a little bit bigger to work with American size hands, 450w power supply like a bronze level since you wont be gaming, atx case to go with atx motherboard.