Non-paged pool issue. Confirmed it is not caused by killer lan card!

jeremycastro

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
The title says it all. Experiencing a really high non-paged pool issue! My non-paged pool is currently sitting at 14.5GB and pushing my computer to use 98% (15.9GB) of my memory.

I've tried using poolmon to locate the problem but I'm not familiar with how to use it or what im actually looking for. I know how to use findstr /s ___ to search for the driver thats causing the issue but I don't know what I'm looking for in poolmon or what something bad looks like.

Last week, I thought i solved the issue by updating 18 device drivers via driver booster 5. Seemed to do the trick; lowering it to around 100mb from a whole 15.5GB. However, within a short week it shot back up to 14.5.

Just as the title says, I checked to see if a killer lan card error was causing it but I'm pretty sure my ROG HERO VIII MAXIMUS DOES NOT USE ANYTHING KILLER WIRELESS RELATED. Just to double check, I downloaded the killer wireless control center and I was turned away by its software since I don't have any hardware that is compatible to it. :)

Just earlier this morning, I deleted every software, game, temp files, cache, and cookies deemed unneeded on my computer just to make sure I wasn't running out of physical memory.

I don't do much on my computer but play fortnite and watch anime. Not sure if this information is needed but I just wanted to put that out there to emphasize that I don't do anything that would really mess up my computer. I have also done a fair amount of research on what np and paged pool are.

I'm running out of options here. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Computer specs:
-i7 6700k
-asus rog maximus VIII hero
-evga 960 ssc
-16GB trident z 3600
-256GB samsung pro ssd (os installed)
-2TB hdd (secondary storage)

Here's a picture of what my poolmon and task manager looks like:
https://imgur.com/vTTjEoM - poolmon
https://imgur.com/DYJwWHY - task manager

Solution
Add the NP Pool column to your Task Manager Details tab page to see if it is of any help.

Add_NPPool_Column_To_Task_Manager.jpg

This looks to me like it might be network related

EQSe - tcpip.sys - EQoS QIM endpoint
IPre - tcpip.sys - IP Reassembly buffers

SWpd - <unknown> - POOLTAG_DEVICE_PDOEXTENSION

I have no idea what SWpd is, no clue at all.

If you haven't done so already, make sure that your motherboard firmware is up to date and that you're running the latest Intel drivers for that device.

jeremycastro

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
So a long long time ago when I first built this computer, I installed AVG. After a while of using it, i realized that it slowed down my computer a butt ton and kept thinking everything was a virus. After uninstalling it, i didnt see that it wasn't completely uninstalled from my computer. I'm not sure why it started effecting my computer almost 2 years later but as soon as i deleted all traces of it, i free'd up all 15.5GBs of my non-paged pool.

I never knew that not fully uninstalling something would cause so much trouble. Lesson learned to always make sure things are properly and fully uninstalled.

jeremycastro

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Thank you for this advice. I added that column into my task manager and will use it for future references!