Question Non-QVL RAM running at 2660 instead of 3600

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
(Please consult my profile for my build.)

Ok, so when I was horribly ignorant (not very long ago - I'm less ignorant now) about current PC tech, I leapt at a great RAM deal that my corporate IT friend (who is pretty ignorant, it turns out, about PC building) pointed out to me. I ordered it (it was over 4000 MHz), and then I canceled it because I noticed that it wasn't on the QVL, and that Patriot even said it probably wouldn't work. So, I replaced that with the Patriot Viper Steel 2x32GB DDR4 3600 CL18 RDIMMs.

It seemed to work just fine. I got a similar kit for my son's computer, which is with an i5-12600k and Asus TG B660-M wifi D4, but it's 2x16GB, and it also seemed to work fine.

But they aren't on the QVL.

Everything seemed fine, but when I had to send in my new XFX GC for a repair (they not only had to send it back to the factory, they sent me another card with the same problem), I relied on my iGPU to satisfy my gaming urges. Fortunately, my nerfed-by-age skills have discouraged me to the point that the urge isn't as strong as it used to be.

Welllll....I was in BIOS and noticed that XMP was off. I could have sworn that it was on. I turned it on and loaded up Destiny 2 (no, not in BIOS, smartarse!). It lagged far worse than before I'd turned on XMP (also without the GC).

So, I ran a few programs and, at first, things seemed like it was not a big deal. i mean, my computer runs plenty fast and when I was using my old Toshiba laptop during testing this weekend, I was so grateful for my custom PC. And yet...I finally saw that my frequency was nerfed to 2660 and my CAS latency is 19. Now, I'm a little confused because, looking at the Patriot page, it shows:

• Capacity: 64GB (2 x 32GB)
• Base Frequency: PC4-17000 (2133MHz)
• Base Timings: 15-15-15-36
• Tested Frequency Profile 1: PC4-28800 (3600MHz)
• Tested Timings: 18-22-22-42
Now, I don't know what the base stuff really means in terms of what I should expect, but it seems to me that I should be seeing 3600 MT/s at 1800 MHz (getting this wrong irritates RAM companies), and my CL should be 18. Interestingly, the timings I saw were 19-19-19-42. So, it's better, right? I mean, except for the really bad MT/s. And that is with XMP off.

So, I have two options:

1. Grin and bear it.
  2. Buy different RAM and sell off the Patriot stuff.
I haven't looked into what my son's mobo would be happy with, nor have I checked its stats, but I looked at RAM and these are what I came up with (non-RGB cuz I'm about performance, not useless bling). I see no difference between the 3 other than brand, price and appearance. Please advise.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, what is the make/model of your motherboard and processor?
Intel is quite tolerant of ram while ryzen can be very picky.

The QVL list names some of the ram kits that were tested out ok when the motherboard was launched. It does not usually get updated.
Look at the patriot ram selection app for your cpu/mobo.
If your ram kit is on the patriot list you are ok.

To test ram
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

All ram will operate at a base speed by default to let you get into the bios.
Once there, the advertised speed is set via overclocking.
The appropriate settings will be embedded in he ram and set via specifying a xmp profile on Intel motherboards, with a similar option for ryzen.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
D2 on an IGP...ouch.

Sometimes there will be separate entries for XMP-on/off and what XMP profile to use. The profiles are just numbered (ie, XMP Profile 1). Good chance you just have the incorrect/sub-optimal XMP profile enabled.
What do you mean by D2 on an IGP?

The BIOS was set to "auto" for XMP...

Unless I missed it, what is the make/model of your motherboard and processor?
Intel is quite tolerant of ram while ryzen can be very picky.

The QVL list names some of the ram kits that were tested out ok when the motherboard was launched. It does not usually get updated.
Look at the patriot ram selection app for your cpu/mobo.
If your ram kit is on the patriot list you are ok.

To test ram
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

All ram will operate at a base speed by default to let you get into the bios.
Once there, the advertised speed is set via overclocking.
The appropriate settings will be embedded in he ram and set via specifying a xmp profile on Intel motherboards, with a similar option for ryzen.

My PC's stuff is listed on my profile, but it's the i7-12700k with the Asus TG H670-Pro wifi D4. It is not on Patriot's QVL list.

So, do I still proceed with messing with XMP?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I turned on XMP and found the setting to define the base frequency, so I set that to 3600. I ran 3DMark Speed Way benchmark and it reported 3590 MHz. Not sure what else I should do to improve it or the CPU.

Your profile does not show on the original post.
The ram should be capable of running at the advertised 3600 speed.

First, check your bios level and update if not current.
CPU-Z will tell you your current level.
I see several that address ram compatibility.
What is this XML? that is a markup language.
Perhaps you mean XMP.
If you look at the spd tabs in cpu-Z you will see a few columns of XMP profiles.
These settings are embedded in the ram sticks themselves.
In the bios, you would select the number of the profile that you want.
This is a short hand way of setting the ram.
Lower cas timings are better, given the same ram speed.
I do not know what "auto" would select. Possibly not the speed you want.

Faster ram makes a difference in the integrated graphics performance, but not so much in app performance.
If you use integrated graphics, you should also set aside more than the minimum for dedicated ram buffers. Perhaps 2mb.

QVL means almost nothing. No mobo manufacturer can test all the thousands of RAM SKUs on every one of their boards. The only helpful info it provides is proof that your board was able to run some/any RAM at [3600] MHz. Past that, don't worry if your specific kit isn't on the list.

Not really applicable in this specific example, but since the memory controller is on the CPU, you also have that wild card to contend with when you get to/past the upper limits of what most/all CPUs in a given family can handle. You can run into situations where the IMC on the CPU can't support RAM speeds as fast as the board can.

What do you mean by D2 on an IGP?
Your OP made it sound like you sent your GPU to XFX for RMA and haven't received it back yet. So you're attempting to play D2 (Destiny 2) on your CPU's IGP (integrated graphics processor). That's not going to be a good experience.

If you have received your GPU back from XFX, are you certain that it's performing as it should? Maybe you're blaming your RAM on your performance issues, when it's really the GPU?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Your OP made it sound like you sent your GPU to XFX for RMA and haven't received it back yet. So you're attempting to play D2 (Destiny 2) on your CPU's IGP (integrated graphics processor). That's not going to be a good experience.

If you have received your GPU back from XFX, are you certain that it's performing as it should? Maybe you're blaming your RAM on your performance issues, when it's really the GPU?
If you reread what I wrote, you'll notice:
  1. I RMA'd my GC to XFX.
  2. I ran D2 with my iGPU.
Therefore, it isn't the GC that caused the problem since I wasn't using it at the time.

Although running D2 on my iGPU wasn't wonderful, it was acceptable. Running it with XMP on was not playable because there was just too much lag.

It's not relevant, but I got my GC replacement and it has the same, unrelated, problem that they were able to observe in my original GC in their facility, thus it's not my system causing the GC problems. I'm shipping the replacement back today or tomorrow.